Movies & TV Shows

Emerging Expert
Brana

The Sad 2010 Steelbook Disney Story

This has really been a year in flux with massive changes on the studios side on their willingness to do Steelbooks, how much of international gets involved and what it takes to make a Steelbook happen. Disney has unfortunately decided corporately against Steelbook this year. I can't even give a real explanation to be honest with you. At some point you get angry and it all sounds like excuses. The best way I can describe it is the U.S. got involved to help push exclusive packaging as well and so we can take advantage of economies of scale. In dong so, senior people became involved with Steelbook that were not before, legal teams threw their four cents in, and next thing you know there is no Steelbook program period. Even with all the success we had last year and the excitement you guys all showed for it we just couldn't make it happen. A massive fail.

To make things worse, what was approved was an Ironpak promotion which had made it's way through all the pipelines so far that once this was presented to us and we knew what was up, we had no room to move. The choice we were given was either we take the Ironpaks or you have nothing for these titles. It was a tough decision but at the end of the day I looked at it from the standpoint that as much as I want these on Steelbook and there are many people on here as well, I'd rather these exist in some sort of collectible packaging than not at all. Let the customer have the decision if they want them or not. So that's where things are at. Disney Canada does realize this is a massive fail and understand we need to get back to Steelbook so those are the discussions that are ongoing now. Again I cannot promise anything but we are working towards Tron 2.

The Ironpaks that are coming out are labelled as Disney Collectible packaging. These are the titles that are coming:

Prince Of Persia - Sep 14th

Beauty & The Beast - Oct 5

Toy Story 1 - October

Toy Story 2 - October

Toy Story 3 - Nov 2

Princess & The Frog - November

Alice in Wonderland - November/December

Brana 

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
Atomic

Re: The Sad 2010 Steelbook Disney Story

Brana, this is great news!

I am disappointed with the lack of SteelBooks, but IronPack is not so bad at all!

I would much rather have IronPack, than nothing, so thank you very much for making the right decision!

Emerging Expert
bluboy

[ Edited ]

thx brana. better 2 have something than nothin at all. no need 2 apolgies. this is FS movie forum, not FS steelbook forum!!!!

will there b more than last year?! i rmemeber it was so hard sometimes as my local fs has 5 copies!!

this year cant get time off to be 1st at store.

Contributor
protovision

[ Edited ]

hopefully the ironpacks won't be priced higher than Steelbooks as they have been so far... although I know it depends on the number of (unnecessary) extra disks they throw in to bump up the cost (digital copy, dvd copy, extras, etc)

Emerging Expert
Ricardofeitoza

Thanks for the good news!:smileyhappy:

Emerging Expert
jwbbud

So the Question now is, whether or not US will have this as well, Any insight?

BS Hunter
Visitor
prozac80

this is really sad news. I would have bought 5 of those 7 listed...

Emerging Expert
jceperley

I don't mind them being Ironpaks instead of Steelbooks. Can't wait to see the artwork, and I hope their are more before Christmas, like The Sorcerer's Apprentice and the Fantasia films (all three are coming supposed to be coming in early December). 

Emerging Expert
QuagsireQing

This is deeply disheartening news.  The worst part for me is not so much that the packaging is Ironpak (since I've never bought one and can't comment on the quality), but that they will not quite match my Steelbooks from last year.  All collectors place great importance in uniformity, and this is a slap in the face from Disney, who ought to know that collectors are exactly the people these products are aimed at.

However, Brana, I thank you for your explanation.  Does this explain why you've been so quiet recently?  Thank you for everything you've done, and are doing to serve us in the future.  While I have half a mind to not buy any of these just to show Disney that I'm not okay with this, the sad truth is that I'd still rather have some kind of collectible packaging than none at all (provided these are the 3- and 4-disc editions), and will be buying each of them on day one, even though I've already bought three of them in standard packaging.  Please don't take any of our griping personally; we promise we'll get over the disappointment eventually.

In the aftermath of this, dare I ask whether other titles may be added, or has Disney closed the doors on us?  I know that you've had no end of suggestions in other topics, but I, personally, would love to see Ponyo, James and the Giant Peach and Finding Nemo released in some sort of collectible packaging as well.  If Tron and The Sorceror's Apprentice are announced for this holiday, you can bet I'd like to see them shining back at me, too.

Contributor
Oldies

Oh for crying out loud! Funny how people who don't own an ironpak complain about them.  Yes I bought all the Ironpacks! and a  lot of steelbooks. I am sure Disney will  have great packaging, they always do, look at their  regular releases on blu ray, Snow White for example has fantastic packaging, nice artwork inside and out.  Seriously, there is not that much difference, so who cares. Better than no collectable release!  There are  lots of blu rays & DVDs that do "match"--- thicker packaging, digibooks, special packaging, etc.

If they fit on your self, then that is all that matters!! 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.