The Captain

UHD / Blu-Ray / DVD Department Downsizing

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to put out there, that I've been in an out of the Langley, BC store a few times in the last couple of months. This is the primary location I like to go to and browse/buy movies (secondary is Abbotsford). The store is undergoing a renovation to a complete makeover, and the movie section has been condensed to about 10% of what it used to be.

I'm very dissappointed. Although, I understand that Online Streaming has eroded some of the share of movie consumption from physical media, There still is a big place for enthusiasts who will pay a premium for quality. A blu-ray disc has a substantial advantage in bitrate and subsequent fidelity from streaming options. 4K UHD isn't even comparable to 4K streaming, the physical media blow streaming alternatives out of the water. 

Best Buy is/was my go-to to buy movies in physical format... in the last year, I probably average $100 or more a month. But my purchasing has gone, for everything but special/exclusive releases like steelbooks, to the "premiere" online marketplace. Their customer experience, customer service, shipping options, pricing etc... just about everything is superior. There just isn't as much of an incentive for me to frequent Best Buy nearly as much anymore, which makes me a bit sad. 

It strikes me as even more backwards because Best Buy has reformatted this store and others to showcase high-end tv's and audio systems, yet can't be bothered to carry the media that would optimize the experience of actually using the hardware!

So, BB, what's it going to be? If I go in every week or two to buy a title, I'll always walk out with some other purchase. Sometimes, it'll even be a decent size purchase. Where's the incentive for me to do business with a company online, who's online experience is inferior to its primary competitor? Your instore experience used to be what kept me coming in, but with that now gone, I don't feel there's a place for me anymore.

Highlighted
Epic Genius

Re: UHD / Blu-Ray / DVD Department Downsizing

I've come to accept it.  Now that Best Buy is no longer carrying more than 5 copies of new release steelbooks (if that) in stores there is no longer any reason to go to the store any more.  Because the small line-up at the door on release day before the store opens already exceeds the number of copies in store so there is no chance of getting a copy.  

You want us to pre-order online before the release date and by doiing so what you are doing to some of us is keeping us from visiting the store. So no chance of browsing the aisles and buying other movies (which I guess will no longer be there anyway)

And Best Buy?  FYI...it's quicker and easier to browse through hundreds of titles in store than it is online.

It's been said many times many ways.  Like a lot of people, I liked going to the store to buy Blu-rays without actually having a title in mind.   "Oh wow! I didn't know this television series was available on Blu-ray! Awesome! I'm buying that!"

That's gone.

I will not search online for every movie or television title that I can think of that has been released in the last 40 years.

So I'm sure I'm missing out on many titles that I can't even think of as well.

I get it.  You're not a video or movie store.

You're a big box techie store. Smart phones, tablets, computers, and so on.

Video and movie stores are gone.

But you don't have anything else I want.   

I accept it.

Legendary Hero of the Universe

Thats just the way the whole industry is going, there isn't much demand for going into a store to get a movie so it all gets held at the warehouses for Internet orders which are much more popular now

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Luminary

But if you need appliances, cables, adapters, and useless acessories similar to a now defunct store that was called Radio Shack (Minus the DIY components), your local BB is the place.

Lamps, furniture, matresses, pots & pans, glassware, always on special online too. Smiley Very Happy

Luminary

[ Edited ]

Sadly this is just "preaching to the choir" when it comes Best Buy Canada's UHD / Blu-Ray / DVD department downsizing. Smiley Sad While true this is the way the whole industry is going, this just my opinion; but I do not agree there is not much demand for going into a store to get a movie; there is well established Canadian owned and operated brick and mortar  regional retail store chain that was established in 1992 specializing in the sale of UHD / Blu-Ray / DVD and movie collectables. But from their site they only seem to operate in Ontario and from the store I go to they seem to get very good business when it comes to mostly Blu-Ray, DVD sales and special hard to find orders like Criterion (sadly I cannot say the name on this site do not want to get banned heaven forbid Best Buy have any retail competition). Smiley Wink

As for selling lamps, furniture, matresses, pots & pans, glassware being always on special online at Best Buy Canada too; well seeing how we are lossing a major retailer called S*EARS Canada this may be the one of the few places were you can buy them. Smiley Happy

kaw Luminary
Luminary
0 Kudos

@HamudMirza Hey Hey! Langley is my store too!

Its really sad to see what it has become... I have almost zero reason to go into the store anymore except to maybe return blu-rays that I had to order online to make sure I got a copy.

Funny thing is, I went in the other day and asked the girl at the front where the DVD/Bluray section is now, because that little section at the side seemed too small. She agreed that it didn't seem right and that she thought there was more near the back by the tvs... There were not. The little itsy bitsy teeny weeny section is all they have now. Its a joke. 

With a certain "3 letter named" store closing down this year. And Best Buy taking over its little canadian brother a couple years ago, places to buy Blu-rays is getting smaller and smaller here in Canada. Honestly its down to Best Buy and one other place that I go to now... and It seems like Best Buy doesn't want me to come there anymore.

Wish I could say "I'll see you at the Langley Best Buy"... But I doubt it now with the remodel. 

Epic Genius
0 Kudos

And not so far from the Head Office.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

They are remodeling the Best Buy at the Eaton Centre in Toronto now too, and they have all the Blus/DVDs/Games on two racks in a corner. It's pretty sad. Hoping they extend it a bit after the repairs are done, but not expecting much. Hoping they make the online selection more robust if they want to make them much smaller at the actual stores. Hopefully the prices will get updated accordingly.

Legendary Epic Genius

Everyones pretty much got the scoop on whats going on.

Many of our stores across the country are going to this new remodel, in the GTA I believe there are about 4 currently undergoing construction. And indeed with this remodel, things will be shifted around, some product variety less, some product variety more.

But as mentioned above, its just the way the market is shifting - @HamudMirza we certainly appreciate your business of $100/mo or more of movie purchases. But lets take a step back and look at the big picture, this is a drop in the bucket (or less) when compared nationally. And when this happens, the company needs to adapt, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and as unfortunate as it may be, its just how it is. Lots of things are going to either streaming services or online only due to the cost of keeping it in the store, if one store carries it, we all have to.

As time, technology, customer wants/needs change, we as a company need to adapt as well. When I first started with the company there used to be both a manager and supervisor for the 'media' department - back in the early to mid 2000s. How times have changed! 

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Luminary
0 Kudos

@Computers_Mike

Been to the Town Hall meetings I see Smiley Wink, according to the BB Financial Report and in particular the letter to the shareholders, all existing stores in Canada will go through the renovation process in preparation for the expansion and new corporate strategy known as "Best Buy 2020: Building the New Blue". The strategy is based on defined steps called "Growth Pillars"

BB.JPG

The First Pillar "Maximize the Multichannel retail business" is of importance here, which in layman terms means the emphasis will be to improve and bring the same high quality of service throughout, no matter how you shop at BB.

In short, the experience you have in store should be equal to shopping online, by phone, and whatever new innovations are implemented, which includes goods and services.

For physical media, this does not look promising, since the only way online shopping can equal the in-store experience is by duplicating their stock levels to match, in other words reduction since renovated stores have less.

They do include provisions for expansion in key product areas, but I'm pretty certain "Physical Media" does not fit that particular category.

Interested in knowing more or draw your own conclusions, links are below.

http://investors.bestbuy.com/investor-relations/financial-info/annual-reports-and-proxy-statements/d...

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/best-buy-canada-resurgence-fuelled-by-total-...