Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBook Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

pikachuforever wrote:

bjmaxvin67 wrote:

Also, I have to agree that not every movie deserves a Steelbook; but when I read comments such as if everyone here is just buying steelbooks because they're steelbooks or are they buying those movies because they like them. Because certain movies are awful and would rather see time invested in making steelbooks for movies that are good that they would actually want to own.” In addition to being “genuinely curious if these same people actually pay to see some of these awful titles they ask about.”

Well if that is the case none of these movies on this list should get a steelbook.

Inferno

Arrival

Moana

Underworld

Passengers

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

Assasin's Creed

Moana and Fantastic Beasts are blockbuster titles, that made a huge ton of money here and across the pond. So they don't belong in the box you created here alongside bombs and movies people genuinely did not like with Inferno, Underworld and Assassin's Creed.

I got this list from the list of movies that will and will not be released on steelbook by BBYLaura and your right Moana and Fantastic Beasts are blockbuster titles, that do not deserve to be put on this list.

But the point I was trying to make is that as I  stated before when I read comments were people believe certain movies are awful and would rather see time invested in making steelbooks for movies that are good that they would actually want to own.” In addition to being “genuinely curious if these same people actually pay to see some of these awful titles they ask about.” My feeling is since all our taste are different and we are not going to agree what movie deserves a steelbook then I guess if left up to us non of these movies would deserve a steelbook mainly because not everybody likes the same thing.

Unfortunately that includes blockbusters; because while I loved Moana and Fantastic Beasts I am sure their are some who did not.  And may feel some title we do not like would be better suited to getting a steelbook.   Maybe that is a good thing we do not make tthe decisions.

Highlighted
Luminary

Geez there's been a lot of chatter on here lately! Took awhile to catch up! Some lengthy responses on here.

I think we can agree on one thing. We are all passionate about our Steelbooks.

While I'm disapointed about the limited number of releases so far this year, I'm at least optimistic that we have a couple important Steelbooks coming (Doctor Strange & Rogue One) and we have @BBYTerence looking out for us now.

It's tough times, it seems, for BBY Canada in the physical media department. With the introduction of 4K and low sales in general with physical media, having additional copies of a collectible format must be difficult to justify to have on the shelf. I support 4K fully because it keeps physical media pushing forward. $32-35 for a 4K steelbook is still better than going to the movie theater in my opinion.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

A lot of factors have changed since the Canadian SteelBook heydeys

(1) Physical Media has declined.  I don't know about you, but almost everyone I know streams from Netflix.  I'm considered a dinosaur for even purchasing physical media in Canada.

(2) US & world SteelBook markets have flooded the market.  We all know the other competitor retailers that sell SteelBooks.  SteelBooks have grown tremendously popular worldwide, but so has the list of retailers to the point where there are even elitist SteelBook editions that cost upwards of $80.00 or more.

(3) Best Buy Canada has hit a few misses with SteelBooks.  STAR TREK BEYOND is a recent example of a title which was done to death in SteelBook.  We all see the dead SteelBook stock in our local stores.  I did not buy STAR TREK BEYOND from Best Buy Canada because it did not contain the 3D version, and I wanted that with the SteelBook.

Luminary
0 Kudos

Is anyone else getting this message when they try to preorder the Doctor Strange (English) (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (Blu-ray Combo) (2016)?

• We're sorry, one or more items in your order are not available for shipment but may be available for Reserve and Pick Up. Please remove Doctor Strange (English) (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (Blu-ray Combo) (2016) from your cart to proceed with this order. If you would still like the item(s), please Reserve them separately on the product page(s). (0107)
The Captain
0 Kudos

Yeah it's weird. You cannot reserve a copy either. Must be a glitch that will hopefully be fixed soon
Epic Genius
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@BBYTerence

For Doctor Strange, is there a title on the spine???  "All" previous Marvel/Disney disney had it.

Captain America Winter Soldier

Thor the Dark World

Avengers Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

Captain America Civil War

Star Wars Episode 7

Edit:
Ah **bleep**... yeah... Guardians of the Galaxy didn't have one... ok... just got my answer then... we're screwed...

Edit #2:
Oh well... I made a previous pre-order at another Zetailer that is supposed to have title on the spine... too bad Best Buy... I'll end up paying 5$ more but this is worth it for a title on the spine IMO.

Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Drum18

everyone has title on the spine. expect 1 other country 

Luminary
0 Kudos

Disappointed to see that we didn't get the 3D version of Doctor strange in Steelbook. I'll be paying a little extra and taking my business elsewhere. Too bad.
The Oracle
0 Kudos

Is the Dr. Strange Steelbook only French? I don't see a English or bilingual version
Epic Genius