Reply
Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 609
Registered: ‎01-13-2012

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

So you guys are asking good questions.  The important thing to remember is that there are forums online that cater to SteelBook collectors.  The fan base has been steadily building for nearly ten years now (and much of it started here in Canada!).

 

If you Google "SteelBooks", look at the top seven hits and you will see where most people are spending their time.

 

There is a huge international community now.  Best Buy Canada (BBC) is one piece of the puzzle.  BBC is now offering pre-orders with theatrical release dates because that is what fans have been asking for (including myself).  Many other online retailers offer pre-orders day and date with the theatrical release to (a) lock in pre-orders early (b) give them early indications as to how much to order and (c) take advantage of the studio marketing hype and buzz that comes before a theatrical release.

 

As for why some SteelBooks are in stock while others are not, you have to look at each title on a case-by-case basis and also take into account the worldwide availability.

 

ROGUE ONE sold out for many reasons:

(1) highly rated SteelBook because it had embossing/debossing and a title written on the spine (SteelBook collectors love that).  There are only three countries worldwide that carried this and BBC was the only option for one of them.  As a result, there is demand for this Canadian SteelBook from international collectors.

(2) The only way to get 3D in Canada.

(3) It's a Star Wars title so even non-movie or non-SteelBook fans would want this

(4) BBC had limited copies.  Not sure why, but I'm sure it's likely because BB US gobbled up most of the stock for themselves first and Canada was likely limited in what it could stock.

(5) price point.  $32.99 for a 3D SteelBook release is an excellent price.  3D SING is $34.99 without a SteelBook.

(6) Scalpers/Investors.  STAR WARS will sell over time so it is a relatively low risk investment for those who wanted to take a chance and try to either flip it, or keep it as trade value over time.

 

GHOST IN THE SHELL (2017) is still available likely because

(1) At least five other online retailers are selling the same SteelBook worldwide

(2) BBC's version is not 3D

(3) Final artwork has not been confirmed.  SteelBook collectors can be a picky bunch.  If the artwork is not confirmed, many people will not pre-order.  Especially in this case, there are two possible cover art designs which are being thrown around and people have preferences for one or the other.  Once artwork is finalized, more people will place their pre-order.

(4) BBC's version is 4K and $34.99 vs. $24.99 for the 2D Blu-ray with Amaray case.

(5) Reaction to the film has been lukewarm.

(6) Release date has not yet been announced so there is still plenty of time to pre-order.

 

LA LA LAND is sold out likely because

(1) Artwork has been finalized, so people who like this artwork (there is another) will rush to buy this one.  Also this artwork has proven to be quite popular with most collectors.

(2) Despite the fact that there are at least seven online retailers offering this SteelBook, there are two very popular cover designs.

(3) All of the hype and talk at the Oscars and how it almost won Best Picture has created a lot of early buzz around this title.

(4) Canadian SteelBook collectors were starving for a new title and this pre-order went live March 22 when there were very few other titles being announced.

(5) Despite the fact that this regular Blu-ray release is priced $10.00 higher than its non-SteelBook counterpart, people are speculating that the price will drop in the days leading up to the release date.

(6) Release date is much sooner (April 25) than GHOST IN THE SHELL.

 

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (2017) 

(1) Artwork is not yet finalized, although it is highly anticipated that BBC will follow BB US's artwork which has been finalized.  Some people are waiting for the art to be finalized before pre-ordering.

(2) Release date is not yet announced so it is months away from being released.

(3) Like ROGUE ONE, this title will be widely available and almost every country will have a SteelBook release for this.  It is not expected to be hard to find.

(4) BBC's SteelBook does not include 3D.  A 3D version of the same SteelBook is available for $5.00 CDN more from another country.

 

Sorry for the long post, but there are a lot of factors which go into what sells and what doesn't.  When in doubt, pre-order and cancel later!

 

I think BB Canada is doing the right thing in opening pre-orders early.  Now if they can pre-announce pre-order times, that would be ideal!

 

 

Luminary
Posts: 341
Registered: ‎06-17-2016
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

casey1985 wrote:

I don't know the complete history of the steelbook in Canada.

 

But this is the first time I have noticed steelbook pre-orders for movies that are still in theatres at Best Buy such as Beauty and the Beast and Ghost in the Shell.

 

Neither have release dates, neither have final artwork confirmed and until that happens there will still be plenty of time to get your order in.  Perhaps that's why they are still available?

 

And from what I hear Ghost in the Shell was garbage anyway but I know, it's a steelbook, with Scarlett Johansson on the cover so it will eventually sell.

 

 

 

By the way I looked up the "Details and Specs." tab for this and I noticed it says under Release Notes

 

Warranty Parts 60 Day(s)  I guess that means you can return steelbooks after they have been opened due to dents and scratches and other flaws?

 

I know people have had success returning opened steelbooks due to flaws but I guess this means nobody should have a problem.

 

 

 


Hey @casey1985,

 

I also do not know the history of steelbooks in Canada other than Future Shop which was a major supplier; it is funny I will come across a steelbook thread from 2014 when I first started collecting and they always talk about how lucky we were to have a store with a large supply of steelbooks.  

 

But, if I recall correctly this is not the first time Best Buy had steelbook pre-orders for movies that were still in theatres such as Beauty and the Beast and Ghost in the Shell. Does anybody recall when Best Buy Canada advertised preorders steelbooks for Minions, 10 Cloverfield Lane and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice while the movies were still at the theaters, at the time they had no release date and no cover art. But Best Buy USA has a long history of advertising  preorders of movies still in the theater  such as Fate Of The Furious http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-fate-of-the-furious-steelbook-includes-digital-copy-blu-ray-dvd-only.... Also Logan finally has a release date May 23, 2017 and cover art on the Best Buy USA site http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logan-steelbook-includes-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-only--..., I hope since it has been confirmed by @BBYTerence that BB Canada is getting Logan they do not wait for the last minute and leave us steelbook collectors  scrambling to preoder before it is sold out. As for Beauty and the Beast I have that on preorder (Isaw it three time) and Ghost in the Shell I have no interest in owning; the same goes for XXX Return of Xander Cage (sadly Xander returned a little to late).

 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=steelbook&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=...

 

As for my experience of returning opened steelbooks due to flaws; well I have had no success returning them mainly because the cashiers rational in my area; was there was no problem with the disc and rather than continuely debate with her I came back the next day got the same cashier and told her there was a problem with the movie. Then she finally exchanged the movie and sadly when there is problem with dents and scratches on a steelbook I always say there is aproblem with the disc.
 

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 304
Registered: ‎09-02-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

@BBYTerence confirmed Logan was coming, but did not give a pre-order date. The regular versions are not online yet either on BBC's website.

The Captain
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎04-07-2016
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

casey1985 wrote:

 

 

By the way I looked up the "Details and Specs." tab for this and I noticed it says under Release Notes

 

Warranty Parts 60 Day(s)  I guess that means you can return steelbooks after they have been opened due to dents and scratches and other flaws?

 

I know people have had success returning opened steelbooks due to flaws but I guess this means nobody should have a problem.

 

 

 


This is better than nothing. I ran into a problem last month with my Highlander steelbook that I bought during Boxing Week but didn't open until April. The disc had a defect and would not even get to the menu. I tried to exchange(not return) and they quoted their 30 days and said no way. You could see on the edge of the blu ray it was coming loose and I imagine that was the reason it wouldn't play. 

 

I guess if you buy a movie for a present for someone you'd better open it up and make sure it plays if you aren't giving it to them within 30 days of purchase...unreal.

Luminary
Posts: 341
Registered: ‎06-17-2016
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

@SonicBoom 


pikachuforever wrote:

bjmaxvin67 wrote:

pikachuforever wrote:

Like can someone tell me how Beauty & The Beast, the current highest grossing movie of the year, is still available to pre-order, and a movie like Rogue One sold out in two days? Yes, they cater to different demoes, but then how do we explain Ghost in the Shell still being available and La La Land selling out in a day?


Well @pikachuforever,

 

The only idea I can come up with (that may not amount to much) is that Beauty and the Beast is still playing in the theaters and people are still seeing it.  In addition to the fact there is no actual release date for the steelbook so maybe people are waiting for a definitive date. Rogue One on the other hand was available for preorder I believe a month and a half before the steelbook release date (but please correct me if I am wrong).  

 

As for LA LA Land and Ghost in the Shell. Lets be honest I of would been suprised if it did not sell out in a day; it ended up taking home six awards, including best director, best actress and best original song and score and won the oscar for best picture (for all of 5 mins Smiley LOL). Then on the other hand you have Ghost in the Shell which from what I understand it has so far grossed $152 million worldwide against a production budget of $110 million. Hollywood did not do a great adapting a anime masterpiece and maybe people are not interested in purchasing this movie. I notice XXX Return of Xander Cage steelbook has not sold out also what going on with that?  


But that's what I'm getting at re: steelbook inventory. It doesn't make sense.

There's no way a movie like Assassin's Creed sell out practically overnight, and then Xander Cage and GiTS are still available weeks later. Xander did the best of the 3 at the box office! And as for La La Land...Oscar winner or not, it's not the first movie I'd imagine the steelbook crowd clamouring for and selling out instantly. Should I be waiting to hit the Buy Now button on a Moonlight steelbook then since it actually did win the big prize?

 

But yes, Beauty and the Beast is the one that makes the least sense. It should certainly be sold out by now based on past trends with blockbuster films. Unless Best Buy is finally tuning into the chatter on the forum and are indeed just taking all the pre-orders they can, and then just bringing in enough inventory to fulfill those orders.


Sadly @pikachuforever steelbook inventory does not make sense but of the three movies  XXX: Return of Xander Cage, Ghost in the Shell and La La Land if I were purchase one it would be XXX: Return of Xander Cage in truth I did have La La Land and Xander Cage on preorder and canceled the order so I could purchase some Mobile Suit Gundam titles online instead. Sadly, for me it just came down to am I actually going to watch these movies again after I did not enjoy them in the movie theater. I was suprised when there was no steelbook slated for the movie GET OUT (which actually made money) and Split (not sure how well that did at the theater) but I would of actually paid money for those. I know @SonicBoom  gave a very good explanation as to steelbook ordering; I know BB USA is releasing a steelbook for The Fate of the Furious which is one that I will have no problem purchasing if it comes to Canada. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-fate-of-the-furious-steelbook-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-r... . But as you stated I do hope Best Buy is finally tuning into the chatter on the forum and are indeed just taking all the pre-orders they can, and then just bringing in enough inventory to fulfill those orders. I would love to see more Disney animated movies on steelbook and was surprised that Moana steelbook did not come to Canada. In all honesty the only Disney animated movie I remember coming to North America since the closing of Future Shop as a steelbook was Big Hero 6 and that was at the store with a Bulls Eye as a logo.  

 

 

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 609
Registered: ‎01-13-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

bjmaxvin67 wrote:
As for my experience of returning opened steelbooks due to flaws; well I have had no success returning them mainly because the cashiers rational in my area; was there was no problem with the disc and rather than continuely debate with her I came back the next day got the same cashier and told her there was a problem with the movie. Then she finally exchanged the movie and sadly when there is problem with dents and scratches on a steelbook I always say there is aproblem with the disc.

 


So SteelBooks and blu-rays fall under the movies and software category.  They are not returnable once they have been opened because theoretically, someone could copy the movie/game and return the disc to the store.

 

They are exchange only for defective copies.  However, if you are nice and explain it, sometimes they will make exceptions.

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 304
Registered: ‎09-02-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread


bjmaxvin67 wrote:

 

Sadly @pikachuforeversteelbook inventory does not make sense but of the three movies  XXX: Return of Xander Cage, Ghost in the Shell and La La Land if I were purchase one it would be XXX: Return of Xander Cage in truth I did have La La Land and Xander Cage on preorder and canceled the order so I could purchase some Mobile Suit Gundam titles online instead. Sadly, for me it just came down to am I actually going to watch these movies again after I did not enjoy them in the movie theater. I was suprised when there was no steelbook slated for the movie GET OUT (which actually made money) and Split (not sure how well that did at the theater) but I would of actually paid money for those. I know @SonicBoom  gave a very good explanation as to steelbook ordering; I know BB USA is releasing a steelbook for The Fate of the Furious which is one that I will have no problem purchasing if it comes to Canada. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-fate-of-the-furious-steelbook-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-r... . But as you stated I do hope Best Buy is finally tuning into the chatter on the forum and are indeed just taking all the pre-orders they can, and then just bringing in enough inventory to fulfill those orders. I would love to see more Disney animated movies on steelbook and was surprised that Moana steelbook did not come to Canada. In all honesty the only Disney animated movie I remember coming to North America since the closing of Future Shop as a steelbook was Big Hero 6 and that was at the store with a Bulls Eye as a logo.  


Get Out and Split both did incredibly well -- Get Out only made about $30-million more in NA. They are top grossers for the production company Blumhouse, but since they are both under the horror genre, I would imagine they were never considered for a steelbook. How often have you seen horror steels? And considering they make decisions on steels well in advance, I would bank that no one would have ever imagined they'd be such huge hits.

 

You've mentioned them more than a handfulof times now -- you were really that big a fan of these movies?

 

Also. Sleeping on La La Land is a mistake. It's incredible, and more than deserved its spot as a Best Picture candidate. And is significantly better than xXx or GiTS.

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 609
Registered: ‎01-13-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread


Leafs17 wrote:

I guess if you buy a movie for a present for someone you'd better open it up and make sure it plays if you aren't giving it to them within 30 days of purchase...unreal.


 

 

Actually this is true for anything that you try to return past the warranty.

Luminary
Posts: 341
Registered: ‎06-17-2016
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

pikachuforever wrote:

bjmaxvin67 wrote:

 

Sadly @pikachuforeversteelbook inventory does not make sense but of the three movies  XXX: Return of Xander Cage, Ghost in the Shell and La La Land if I were purchase one it would be XXX: Return of Xander Cage in truth I did have La La Land and Xander Cage on preorder and canceled the order so I could purchase some Mobile Suit Gundam titles online instead. Sadly, for me it just came down to am I actually going to watch these movies again after I did not enjoy them in the movie theater. I was suprised when there was no steelbook slated for the movie GET OUT (which actually made money) and Split (not sure how well that did at the theater) but I would of actually paid money for those. I know @SonicBoom  gave a very good explanation as to steelbook ordering; I know BB USA is releasing a steelbook for The Fate of the Furious which is one that I will have no problem purchasing if it comes to Canada. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-fate-of-the-furious-steelbook-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-r... . But as you stated I do hope Best Buy is finally tuning into the chatter on the forum and are indeed just taking all the pre-orders they can, and then just bringing in enough inventory to fulfill those orders. I would love to see more Disney animated movies on steelbook and was surprised that Moana steelbook did not come to Canada. In all honesty the only Disney animated movie I remember coming to North America since the closing of Future Shop as a steelbook was Big Hero 6 and that was at the store with a Bulls Eye as a logo.  


Get Out and Split both did incredibly well -- Get Out only made about $30-million more in NA. They are top grossers for the production company Blumhouse, but since they are both under the horror genre, I would imagine they were never considered for a steelbook. How often have you seen horror steels? And considering they make decisions on steels well in advance, I would bank that no one would have ever imagined they'd be such huge hits.

 

You've mentioned them more than a handfulof times now -- you were really that big a fan of these movies?

 

Also. Sleeping on La La Land is a mistake. It's incredible, and more than deserved its spot as a Best Picture candidate. And is significantly better than xXx or GiTS.


Hey @pikachuforever,

 

Your right I did mention before about that movie my bad I had a CRS moment.Smiley Happy But, @pikachuforever yes I was a really big fan of Get Out and Split (everybody has their own personal tastes in what movies they like and dislike); I also really did not plan on them making steelbooks for them but if a movie like Fifty Shades Darker Smiley LOLcan get a steelbook  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/fifty-shades-darker-steelbook-includes-digital-copy-blu-ray-dvd-only--be... why couldn't these movies.

 

I agree La La Land was an incredible movie and more than deserved its spot as a Best Picture candidate but as I stated before it did take home six awards, including best director, best actress and best original song and score. Truthfully, from an artistic view point you cannot compare a oscar winning movie like La La Land to movies like xXx: Xander Cage and Ghost in the Shell. A movie like La La Land is on a whole other level than popcorn movies like Get Out, Split, xXx: Xander Cage and Ghost in the Shell. 

 

As for my decision of sleeping on La La Land and xXx: Return of Xander Cage and choosing to purchase the animes of Mobile Suit Gundam titles online; well thats a simple choice of buying something I truly like and will watch over again as opposed to purchasing three movies on steelbook that I will probably never rewatch. Smiley Happy

Luminary
Posts: 80
Registered: ‎03-01-2016
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming SteelBooks Discussion Thread

@Leafs You tried returning something that was open and 4 months old and you expect best buy to feel sorry for you ? Why don't you try contacting lionsgate instead of crying about it on the internet.