Luminary

What Factors Help You determine What Movies You Will Purchase on Steelbook?

For me purchasing Steelbooks for me is more about spending money on physical editions of movies that I love and if I am going to own a physical copy of a movie, I want it to be something more than just a disc in a blue piece of plastic. I do not even bother buying Blu-rays anymore unless they are they're in a Steelbook and only buy the movie if I really liked it in the movie theater which has been Marvel Studio titles, Star Wars, Disney and a few of the movies which I feel I will go back and watch again and again. 

I am curious what factors help you determine what movies you will purchase on steelbook?

Epic Genius

Re: What Factors Help You determine What Movies You Will Purchase on Steelbook?

A few months/year back, I was purchasing almost every possible steelbooks released in Canada that I didn't already have in BD.

But now, as I have over 1000 BD movies and 400 of them are SteelBooks/Metal case, I only purchase movies that I know for sure that will have a re-watch value such as Disney/Star Wars/Comic Book Movies. 

My best exemple of this "new" way of spending $$$ is with Now You See Me 1 and 2 that are BBYC Steelbook Exclusive.  The "old me" would have purchased the steelbooks on release day.  But knowing that this kind of twist/thriller movie is only good to be seen 1-2 time, I now decided to wait for it to be in the previously viewed at my local videostore for 3$ each.

The same with double-triple-quadriple-goingcrazy dipping.  I used to buy many version of the same movie and collect them all but now, I need to go with my budget and find the "best" deal for $$$.  Another exemple is Doctor Strange.  Even if I wanted the BBYC exclusive, the Uk edition has a title on the spine and for me, this is a deal breaker.  Even if it's 5$ more.

Luminary

Hey @Drum18,

When I first starting to collect steelbooks; I remember when Future Shop used to have one shelf for just steelbooks. Like you I was purchasing almost every possible steelbooks released in Canada even if I did have it in BD.  And embarrassingly I bought the Steelbook of the movie The Witch ( which was bad). Now I only buy something if I know I will watch it like steel book of the 20th Anniversary The Transformers: The Animated Movie.  

Legendary Luminary

Drum18 wrote:

But now, as I have over 1000 BD movies and 400 of them are SteelBooks/Metal case, I only purchase movies that I know for sure that will have a re-watch value such as Disney/Star Wars/Comic Book Movies. 

My best exemple of this "new" way of spending $$$ is with Now You See Me 1 and 2 that are BBYC Steelbook Exclusive.  The "old me" would have purchased the steelbooks on release day.  But knowing that this kind of twist/thriller movie is only good to be seen 1-2 time, I now decided to wait for it to be in the previously viewed at my local videostore for 3$ each.

You still have a local videostore? What witchcraft are you speaking of?!

To answer the question rather simply, I buy the steelbook if I really like the movie or if I really dig the steelbook. Batman v Superman is not a favourite (and should not be a favourite of anyone for that matter), but I couldn't resist the dual-sided artwork. I used to buy steels more often, but like @Drum18, I had to cut back and prioritize a bit more.

Epic Genius

@pikachuforever

Ahah Pika, yeah I do still have local videostore called Video(insert-1982s-famous-4-letters-movie-name-with-jeff-bridges-here) and every year at Boxing Day I go there and get my year supply of previously played (rented) movies for 3-4$ each.  Hard to beat price.

BvS was an "ok" movie IMO.  Could it have been better??? Ohhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!  Superman lacked any character development, Wonder Woman was bad-as*, Alfred was spot-on, Batman was PERFECT, but the whole Luthor/Doomsday was a pure waste to me as I hated how Eisenberg/Zuckerberg was the same **bleep** as he was in the FB movie....

So in the end, bought the BBYC steelbook for *cheap* and then added a custom slipcover on top of it to make this a premium edition for an ok-rewatchable movie Smiley Wink

Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey @pikachuforever the movie The Witch I was speaking of was shwn in 2016 here is a link to what the steel book looked like. http://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/the-witch-blu-ray-steelbook-canada.75762/  Another mistake in steel books I made was purchasing 10 Cloverfield Lane ( yes I could kick myself for that one). @Drum18 your fourtunate to still have a local video store; the one in our area called Family ***** closed because from what I understand the amount of their lease was more than what they were making in rental and video sales 

Luminary

For Starters, if it wasn't for Steelbooks, I probably wouldn't be buying movies in physical form at all. The Steelbook gave me a reason to start buying movies again. Which has probably led to picking up the odd movie in standard blu-ray casing just because I wanted it in 3D (only on sale though).

The #1 reason that I purchase the movie on Steelbook would be that I liked the movie, if not loved it. And I'm sure that probably goes for most people. Everyone has different tastes for movies which is obvious considering peoples opinions on what should be made a Steelbook or not........(Space Jam?.....I still shake my head over that one, but hey, different tastes)

#2 reason is the artwork. There have been some pretty bland, borderline awful steelbooks in the past. Mainly the "pop art" steelbooks come to mind. Some aren't too bad, but some are just awful and almost insulting. Evil Dead and Zombieland come to mind. I bought them both. But for the movies (reason #1 overruled my decision). The art was terrible in my opinion.

3rd reason. Condition. It has to be near perfect or perfect condition. Dents, scratches, spine slashes, bends, warps in any steelbook then I definitely won't be buying it. This could almost precede reason #1. I put it third because I would assume buying a steelbook brand new on release day should come in pristine condition. Sadly, this isn't always the case.

Legendary Luminary

bjmaxvin67 wrote:

Hey @pikachuforever the movie The Witch I was speaking of was shwn in 2016 here is a link to what the steel book looked like. http://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/the-witch-blu-ray-steelbook-canada.75762/  Another mistake in steel books I made was purchasing 10 Cloverfield Lane ( yes I could kick myself for that one). @Drum18 your fourtunate to still have a local video store; the one in our area called Family ***** closed because from what I understand the amount of their lease was more than what they were making in rental and video sales 

Oh I'm well aware of what The Witch is. I saw it at TIFF in 2015...wasn't a fan then, and actively told everyone I could to avoid it despite the critical accliam.

And I didn't hate 10 Cloverfield Lane, but didn't love it enough to buy it.

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

Drum18 wrote:

@pikachuforever

Ahah Pika, yeah I do still have local videostore called Video(insert-1982s-famous-4-letters-movie-name-with-jeff-bridges-here) and every year at Boxing Day I go there and get my year supply of previously played (rented) movies for 3-4$ each.  Hard to beat price.

BvS was an "ok" movie IMO.  Could it have been better??? Ohhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!  Superman lacked any character development, Wonder Woman was bad-as*, Alfred was spot-on, Batman was PERFECT, but the whole Luthor/Doomsday was a pure waste to me as I hated how Eisenberg/Zuckerberg was the same **bleep** as he was in the FB movie....

So in the end, bought the BBYC steelbook for *cheap* and then added a custom slipcover on top of it to make this a premium edition for an ok-rewatchable movie Smiley Wink

I wish they had video stores like that near me. I know there are some in and around Toronto, but have never thought to venture out and find the diamonds in the rough.

As for BvS, the Theatrical Version is unwatchable. Just a complete effing disaster from start to finish. The "Ultimate Edition" with 30 extra minutes of reason, accountability and development -- that's the version we all should have seen from the start. If they cleaned up the motivation for Luthor and hadn't shoe-horned in Doomsday, it would have been a better film. I understand it's all building blocks to Justice League, but it could have been done A LOT better. And I still have nightmares about Martha.

Also. Stopping the fight scene between Batman and Superman, which we waited the ENTIRE movie for, just to show trailers for upcoming heroes? Worst. Idea. Ever.

Highlighted
Luminary

For me it's easy, If it's a Steelbook released in North America, It's a buy.

I do make exceptions for some that I really like, or others that are part of a series, case in point Mondo with their "Avengers" Japanese release.

I purchased the first DVD Steelbook offering by FS, and never looked back, including boutique label releases.

As a collector I'm not limited to Steelbooks, hence the need to set boundaries (North America,) but I will go internationally for exclusives that are seriously collectible, or equivalent to a sold out North American edition.