Reply
Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 607
Registered: ‎01-13-2012

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

Yes, if you have been buying SteelBooks since IRON MAN, then you would see that physical media is dying, not only at Best Buy, but worldwide.  This is not a Best Buy issue.

 

Best Buy is merely reflecting what consumers are doing and that is buying more online.

 

In fact, my last four or five purchases from Best Buy have been online.  The only time I bought something in-store was on an impulse buy when I was in the store to return something I bought online!

 

I do go into the store occasionally on a Tuesday, but it is really only as a backup for my online purchase.

 

I think online shopping is great and I'm happy to purchase online from Best Buy as long as their packaging and shipping is good.  I buy collectibles (SteelBooks, digibooks) and the condition of the product is important to me.

 

So far, I've had good luck with the majority of BB purchases which come in a box, and I haven't encountered any spine slashes as others have reported here.

 

My only reason for going in-store is really to ensure that the condition of the product is satisfactory.  If BB can ensure that the condition of the product is excellent through their online sales channel, I have no problem buying online.

 

The new Best Buy stores now feature a real-life **competitor**.  I think these are some of the first Google stores in North America (maybe the world) so I'm happy about that.

The Captain
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎10-20-2016

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

Good idea! I don't know if anyone mentioned this before but I really like buying the Criterion Collection of flms.  It seems like Best Buy doesnt carry any of them.  As well, much  more horror films, and hard to find horror films.  Especially during Halloween, it would be nice if Best Buy carried older horror films from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 301
Registered: ‎09-02-2015
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


Nadalfan wrote:

Good idea! I don't know if anyone mentioned this before but I really like buying the Criterion Collection of flms.  It seems like Best Buy doesnt carry any of them.  As well, much  more horror films, and hard to find horror films.  Especially during Halloween, it would be nice if Best Buy carried older horror films from the 70s, 80s and 90s.


I would LOVE to see more Criterion Blu-ray availability.

Luminary
Posts: 337
Registered: ‎06-17-2016
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


pikachuforever wrote:

Nadalfan wrote:

Good idea! I don't know if anyone mentioned this before but I really like buying the Criterion Collection of flms.  It seems like Best Buy doesnt carry any of them.  As well, much  more horror films, and hard to find horror films.  Especially during Halloween, it would be nice if Best Buy carried older horror films from the 70s, 80s and 90s.


I would LOVE to see more Criterion Blu-ray availability.


Hey @pikachuforever@Nadalfan@SonicBoom and anybody else that is interested more Criterion. But I ran across this when I typed in Criterion for BBY Canada and as you can see it looked like they carried a very very small limited amount and what they had is now gone.  It would be nice to see more or should we say alot more Criterion Blu-ray availability at Best Buy Canada. Smiley LOL    

 

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/criterion/27649.aspx?

Legendary Epic Genius
Posts: 301
Registered: ‎09-02-2015
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


bjmaxvin67 wrote:

pikachuforever wrote:

Nadalfan wrote:

Good idea! I don't know if anyone mentioned this before but I really like buying the Criterion Collection of flms.  It seems like Best Buy doesnt carry any of them.  As well, much  more horror films, and hard to find horror films.  Especially during Halloween, it would be nice if Best Buy carried older horror films from the 70s, 80s and 90s.


I would LOVE to see more Criterion Blu-ray availability.


Hey @pikachuforever@Nadalfan@SonicBoom and anybody else that is interested more Criterion. But I ran across this when I typed in Criterion for BBY Canada and as you can see it looked like they carried a very very small limited amount and what they had is now gone.  It would be nice to see more or should we say alot more Criterion Blu-ray availability at Best Buy Canada. Smiley LOL    

 

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/criterion/27649.aspx?


All old stuff, all long gone.

I used to buy Criterions at Best Buy when I visited the States (because they appeared so infrequently in Canada), but they seem to have dried up there as well. Mainly find them in the **competitor** nowadays. Smiley Sad

Truth Seeker
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-11-2017
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

I have been disappointed as of late with the Kelowna Best Buy.  The Blu Ray selection is being whittled down to almost nothing.  I have been looking everywhere for 'Heat - Directors Definitive Edition' and 'King Kong - Ultimate Edition'.  Sadly it is becoming harder to find these special releases.  I don't see Best Buy catering to the movie philes anymore.  Not a lot of collector's editions or box sets.  

The Captain
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎10-20-2016
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

Sorry I forgot to mention more special edition of movies like Shout Factory movies.  Best Buy is selling the 4 steelbooks but I'd like them to include others as well.

Luminary
Posts: 337
Registered: ‎06-17-2016
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

I am more interested in finding what the media team plans are at this time. A little while ago @HamudMirza commented on the fact that went into the store in his location was currently under renovation and the movies section had been compressed into one micro-isle.  

 

Like him I have stated in numerous posts that when I went to the Best Buy store in my area they were under renovation, the shelves were bare and the store staff person I talked to also said that it won't be much more one aisle and Blurays and DVDs would be sold online.  Well today when I returned one of my Fate Of The Furious Steelbooks, I was suprised to see, that there was next to nothing there. When the girl stated movies would be put on one shelf I expected one long shelf; not a mini- wire shelf  that they use for selling old stock for example old CW series season like Arrow, Flash, The 100 and I think you get the idea. Smiley Wink

 

When @BBYTerence started this specific thread it was for the greatest of intentions of learning about our preferences when it comes to shopping for physical media of films and TV shows. He stated the movies team would like to know what type of content we would like to see more of so he could forward this thread to the movies team for them to carefully read through so they can get some verbatim feedback and that is what we did in droves.

 

My question is what have they come up with; if anything because from what I can see at the Best Buy brick and mortar retail store they will no longer carry large amounts of the physical media. Everything will be done online so does that mean more selections of merchandise sold similar to the online competitor like series from Netflix and Rainforest exclusives. This is just my opinion but I think we have given you all our preferences and I am sure others would like to know what decision the media team has come up with at this time. Smiley Happy    

 

 

Community Manager
Posts: 1,190
Registered: ‎06-20-2016

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?

I don't think there has been any big decision made about what type of physical media will be sold (but if there were, I wouldn't be privy to that information), and I can't promise what types of decisions are made. I don't foresee any decisions being made instantaneously.

 

The movies team did ask me to start this thread, so I hope they take the time to consider all the feedback, however, I cannot promise what type of action will be taken. I have made it a point to forward this thread multiple times so it does not get lost in the enormous amounts of information being passed around.  I have done what I can to offer your feedback to the movies team. Rest assured, I've heard you (but I'm not a decision maker regarding physical media), and I hope the movies team will pay attention as well. I hope they give this feedback some weight as they make their future decisions.

 

Keep in mind, it is not standard for them to communicate their decisions to me, nor would that be public knowledge, so if and when they want me to communicate anything, I will do so. I know that they definitely see value in the comments that are posted on the forum. Thank you to everyone for your feedback.

 

 

 

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Luminary
Posts: 337
Registered: ‎06-17-2016
0 Kudos

Re: When it comes to shopping for movies & TV shows, what do you want to buy?


BBYTerence wrote:

I don't think there has been any big decision made about what type of physical media will be sold (but if there were, I wouldn't be privy to that information), and I can't promise what types of decisions are made. I don't foresee any decisions being made instantaneously.

 

The movies team did ask me to start this thread, so I hope they take the time to consider all the feedback, however, I cannot promise what type of action will be taken. I have made it a point to forward this thread multiple times so it does not get lost in the enormous amounts of information being passed around.  I have done what I can to offer your feedback to the movies team. Rest assured, I've heard you (but I'm not a decision maker regarding physical media), and I hope the movies team will pay attention as well. I hope they give this feedback some weight as they make their future decisions.

 

Keep in mind, it is not standard for them to communicate their decisions to me, nor would that be public knowledge, so if and when they want me to communicate anything, I will do so. I know that they definitely see value in the comments that are posted on the forum. Thank you to everyone for your feedback.

 

 

 


Sadly @BBYTerence I do realize if there were a big decision made about what type of physical media will be sold, you would not be privy to that information. Mainly because through your interation with us members from the forums concerning Steelbook, movies and television shows you seem to have a better understanding of what is going on and forget that you are not in charge of movies team ( you should be) you constantly work above and beyond what is required of you.  I will always give an award extra credit to anyone who does research above and beyond the parameters of the assignment and you fit that bill. 

 

I cannot speak for other on this forum and I realize you have heard us. But I think if it was not for the fact that you were there offering your feedback to the movies team and forwarding this thread multiple times so it does not get lost in the enormous amounts of information being passed around they would of forgot about us along time ago. I also hope they give this feedback some weight as they make their future decisions; mainly because I do not wish to see Best Buy Canada go the same way as **competitor** Canada.

 

All I can say I am Thankful you are there to help us and appreciate what you do for us. Smiley Happy