Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: xXx: return of the xander cage Steelbook?

[ Edited ]

@SonicBoom

I didn't say everyone would buy it.  Just that somebody would.

Overstock doesn't mean that somebody didn't buy an item.  

It just means that not everybody bought the item or they ordered more than needed.

I highly doubt that there is overstock of Captain America: Civil War and Captain America: Winter Soldier because nobody wanted them.  These had 3D and were priced at $33.99 which may have been a deterrent for some people.  

(There have been many complaints about the rising cost of steelbooks and not everybody cares about 3D)

I suspect they sold more copies of those titles as new releases than any other new release steelbooks in the recent past except for Star Wars The Force Awakens and maybe Deadpool.

Epic Genius

@bjmaxvin67

When it comes to steelbooks I hardly buy any.  

I will buy the Avengers series and the Captain America series but none of the other Marvel titles.  But I do have Deadpool.

I will also buy Rogue One and other Star Wars titles.

Other than the titles mentioned above, I won't pay more than $15.00 or $20.00 for a steelbook title.  Best Buy can keep all 4K steelbook titles and all other new release titles.  They're not worth the prices because I do buy regular Blu-ray movies in the plastic cases, but only used or new for $5.00 or less.  Most used Blu-rays around here are now about $2.99 or less and even those are disappearing from used stores now the way used CD's did.

I won't pay New Release prices for Blu-rays.  I'm guessing it's because of people like me that physical media is disappearing.

If there are no more used items to buy cheap then I won't buy them.  And that will be the end of it for me and I will be happy with the collection I have now.

If I want to watch a new release then I check out the Blu-ray from the local library for free.

If I want to own it then I wait until I find it used or wait until Best Buy and other stores have their clearout sales and then pick them up for $5.00 or 2 for $8.00.  I don't need to own it right away because it's not like I'm going to watch it again right away anyway. 

When I do buy a steelbook it is usually from Europe because I like to buy older movies that I like, if the art is good and different from the regular case.  It also has to be around $15.00 or less.  

A couple examples are "Miller's Crossing" and "Devil's Advocate"

I recently purchased the new "Heat" 2 Disc Definitive Director's Edition Steelbook from Europe (not available from Best Buy or in North America anywhere as far as I can tell.)

And that cost less than $20.00.

When it comes to owning movies, even back in the days of VHS in the 80's, it was never about owning new releases for me because back then new releases cost $90 to $100 until "sell through" titles came along and then you could buy older titles new from the distributors for $15.00 or less (with the right connections)

Then came the rare new release "sell through" titles that you could buy right away for about $20 or so around 1989 I believe

with titles such as "E.T." (took 7 years to be released on home video).

In 1989 all the summer blockbusters were released at friendly sell through prices on VHS such as Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Dead Poets Society and Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

The reason?  All 5 of those movies pulled in over $100 Million or more each at North American Box Offices.

It was the first time ever that 5 movies in 1 summer passed that mark and the first time that Box Office receipts crossed the $5 Billion mark thanks to those movies.

Then came DVD's which were priced to own right from the start which was the beginning of the end of rental chain stores that got greedy with their rental prices.  Why rent a new release for $7.99 when you could own it for just over twice that price?  

Or buy it used a couple weeks later for the price of a rental?

Anyway the thrill of buying movies for me was all about going into a store and seeing what titles were on the shelf that weren't there the last time I was in the store.  Back in the days when older movies were still being released on video for the first time.

Same with Blu-rays. I liked going into Best Buy and other stores to see what older movies were just being released for the first time.  But it seems there are a lot less good older titles being released now and it is just mainly the New Releases of the week.

For me the search was the thrill.  

Anyway that's me. If you managed to make it all the way through this reply, I hope somwhere in there I managed to answer your question. I know right now there are a lot of readers who wish you hadn't asked 

Smiley LOL

Luminary

[ Edited ]

Hi @casey1985,

Yes I did managed to make it all the way through this reply and you did I managed to answer my question. Smiley Very Happy  As for those readers who wish I hadn't asked this question after reading you answer; I might ask this question on the forum. Smiley LOL I am pretty sure there are others who have their own reasons for why they purchase certain steelbooks and it would be interesting to hear why. Smiley Happy  Thank You! Here is the link:  http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Movies-TV-Shows/What-Factors-Help-You-determine-What-Movies-You-Will-Pu...

Community Manager

bjmaxvin67 wrote:

Hi @BBYTerence and @Leprekon,

At this time there has been no release date for the xXx: return of the xander cage Steelbook which may one reason Best Buy Canada has not released it on its steelbook update list. I hope this is some help.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xxx-return-of-xander-cage-steelbook-includes-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-bl...

Thanks @bjmaxvin67.

@Leprekon, the people I've spoken to don't have any news for me yet. So for now, it's still TBD.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

The Oracle
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update @BBYTerence
Highlighted
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hey everyone.

I have received a list of xXx: Return of Xander Cage products that will be released, however, none of them are steelbooks. I don't think BBYC will be getting the steelbook for this.

If something changes, I'll be sure to let you know.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Community Manager
0 Kudos

So they decided to carry the steelbook for xXx: Return of Xander Cage after all.

It is up on the site.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

kaw Luminary
Luminary
0 Kudos

BBYTerence wrote:

So they decided to carry the steelbook for xXx: Return of Xander Cage after all.

It is up on the site.

Hey @BBYTerence

Can you confirm the art for this?

I am assuming we are getting the same steelbook as Best Buy USA... but they have now changed the art:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xxx-return-of-xander-cage-steelbook-includes-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-bl...

Will we be getting the one that you posted? (I hope so, it is much nicer).

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Thanks for pointing that out @kaw.

I'm just waiting to hear back. I haven't heard anything about the artwork.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

@kaw

The studio has confirmed that the version shown on the Best Buy USA site is the final version of the artwork.

A revised image will be updated on the Canadian site.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator