Emerging Expert
rezblue

Pre ordering question

I've never pre ordered anything from Futureshop online before and had a question about stock numbers. I pre ordered a Wii U a couple days ago and many other sites are saying they arent accepting anymore pre orders but this site still allows it and says 3 per household. Will Futureshop just continue to take pre orders up until launch regardless of how many units they think they will be getting or will they actually cut it off at a certain point?

I'm wondering because I have no way of knowing if I would get an initial launch unit or have to wait for subsequent shipments from Nintendo. 

Recognized Expert / Community Ambassador
debaser17

Re: Pre ordering question

[ Edited ]

From CaptainFalcon's original post, announcing the release and linking the pre-order pages:

"PLEASE NOTE: Both Wii U console configurations will be available for pre-order, but will be in Limited Supply. I highly recommend you pre-order your console ASAP to guarantee that you get it for day 1."

...suggests to me that all pre-orders from now until they are cut off are intended to be fulfilled with the first shipment. I would guess that FS is ready to cap orders as soon as that limited number is hit. Remember that the U.S.A. has a vastly larger population than us, however that is not necessarily an indication of the ratio of units that those retailers received. I think the buzz is about the same, but I really wouldn't be surprised if we are receiving more units per capita. It's very possible that FS just hasn't hit their target number yet.

I remember a lot of people were very worried a few months ago when FS (I believe it was FS? maybe the other guy), hadn't taken down their Diablo III CE pre-orders when the U.S. etc had long since sold out. But to the best of my knowledge those were all fulfilled just fine.

photo sig-community-ambassador-of-the-year-en_zps4bd74fc6.jpg

photo sig-gaming-member-of-the-year-en_zps7916bdcb.jpg
Emerging Expert
Neonridr

rezblue, that is a great question and I too would love to know the answer.  I preordered a deluxe system about an hour after the links went active, so I am hoping that I was early enough to snag one from the inital launch units.  However I have no clue if we will receive any sort of notification from Future Shop if in fact we will be getting one at launch.  Some Future Shop people here said that once all the preorders were gone, that they would stop offering it for preorder, but the fact that it allows 3 per household and the link is still active either means they are just letting preorders continue regardless, or Canadians aren't that interested in the Wii U since apparently -E.B. Games- still has their preorders active (even though in the states most retailers are done with preorders)..

My only concern is now I have to pray and hope that when the launch nears, I get a confirmation that my order is in fact shipping (since in store pickup was not an option).  I felt so much better 6 years ago because I physically preordered one from a shop, so all I had to do was go pick it up when it came out.

I just really hope that Future Shop is on the ball with this, and that they ship it out to me in a timely manner.  I don't want to have to wait a week or two for my unit to arrive in the mail.  If I was Future Shop I would get them out early and worst case scenario have people receiving them on the Friday..

Emerging Expert
rezblue

I think you'll be fine, but knowing Futureshop and their shipping speed, it probably will be a couple of weeks until you actually get your console in the mail. 

Emerging Expert
Neonridr

I will die if I have to wait a few weeks beyond launch.. :smileytongue:

Anytime I order something from Future Shop and I get the "order has shipped notification email", I always get the product the next day.. so here's hoping nothing changes..

I am just psyched that I am going to be playing this bad boy in 2 months..

Emerging Expert
rezblue

I'll be psyched when its the PS4 I'm pre ordering and waiting for.  Right now im kinda meh on the whole thing but when launch gets closer I know i'll be anticipating it more and more. 

Emerging Expert
Neonridr

[ Edited ]

fair enough, some people have different expectations when they are playing video games.  Personally, I am playing games to have fun and to feel engaged.  I don't need 10 core processing machines with 24 gb's of ram.  Personally I am amazed at all the games that keep coming out for the 360 and PS3.  Visually these games still look stunning, and if not for some sloppy framerates, these games would be amazing.  That's where the Wii U comes in.  Games will look a little better since they can be rendered in 1080p natively, and play at near 60fps.  I think too many people have ridiculous expectations on what the "next gen" machines from Sony and Microsoft will look like.  The days of the $600 console are over.  And with Sony in quite a bit of money problems and a poor effort thus far with the Vita, I don't see them rushing to put out the PS4 for quite some time.

I guess people were a bit shocked that the Wii U wasn't a significant step over the competition, but I also think we were all spoiled so much in the jump from the Xbox/PS2 to the High Definition Era.  People were expecting that same sort of jump when the next batch of machines came along, but I think you'll be surprised at what the other machines will be packing.  Not to mention that once developers have a few years to work with the Wii U, the level of graphics will be far more impressive.  If we compare the launch titles like Call of Duty 3 or Perfect Dark Zero from the 360 launch, to games like Gears of War 3, Oblivion and Mass Effect 3 they almost look night and day different.

Regardless, I am super excited to play this system as I believe it is going to offer some truly unique ways to enjoy your gaming, and with all the social media integration into everything nowadays, a touch screen controller is a bridge to that world.

Hopefully your level of anticipation does increase as we get closer to launch.

Emerging Expert
rezblue

I'm a long time Sony fan, it's not about the graphics or the processing power in the slightest for me. This is the first generation in the history of PlayStation that it isn't the least powerful console on the market, so horsepower was definitely not what made me a fan of it. 

In terms of games I think Sony has always been the best in the business. You can't get a better and more diverse bunch of games anywhere else and they aren't afraid to take gambles on new IP's. Every generation we see new franchises pop up from them that end up becoming a staple in their portfolio. 

With Nintendo, I don't get that same excitement for their games series. Sure I love Maio, and those first party franchises, but they've been offering the same games series for the past 20 years. Take a chance on something new already. Pikman is the last time they did that that I can think of. 

Anyway, I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the NES, so I figured i'd drop in and see what's what in the world of Nintendo for this new generation. 

Trusted Expert
Atomic

You guys haven't read the latest issue of CLICK with the article about the death of the video game console.

Visitor
moneyhead64

Is there any way that Future Shop would ship the systems early so that they would arrive at least on the Monday (19th) instead of possibly having to wait a week?

The website says that the systems will arrive to Future Shop's warehouse on November 18th but whenever it comes to something of this scale, Nintendo always ships early so that the product is available on the "street date." Assuming this, chances are that Future Shop would get the systems earlier and it would be great customer service to ship the systems early so that we're not waiting that much longer. Just waiting for November 18 is bad enough but when you know that people are already playing their systems at home, it just makes you even more impatient.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.