Nintendo DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U & Wii Mini

Visitor
drummerockband

Will Future Shop stores be doing midnight launches for the Wii U?

I asked my local Future Shop if they were going to be having one, and they didn't know yet. Is your FS doing a midnight launch? I hope FS stores do this because I would love to go to a midnight launch and I would imagine other retailers will.

Emerging Expert
QuagsireQing

Re: Will Future Shop stores be doing midnight launches for the Wii U?

No, other retailers won't.  The Wii U will not be available in sufficient supply to justify a midnight launch.  Assuming each store gets three dozen or so systems, all of which will be pre-ordered, the turnout would be very low.  Some competitors will be opening their stores an hour early, though, just as a private shopping time for customers that pre-ordered; Future Shop may do something like that.

Emerging Expert
TripleQ

Why not? I'm pretty sure all will be holding back some for midnight launches on a first come first served basis (even FS has admitted doing so) There will be lineups at midnight outside all stores.
Emerging Expert
saybinator

Official word is Future Shop will unfortunately not be open for midnight on Wii U.

Stores will open normal hours on Sunday November 18th.  If you preordered a Wii U the store reserves it for up to 72 hours.  There will also be units available first come first serve at all store locations the morning of November 18th.

Emerging Expert
QuagsireQing

The number one competitor is not holding back any systems. All their stores know launch quantities, and have pre-ordered all of them. (My nearest store has a little under 40; compare to the exactly 40 Wiis they had on launch day.) They have a wait list set up for later shipments, but the launch day allocation is sold out; there will be no walk-in units.
Emerging Expert
saybinator

Can't speak to how other retailers will operate or if they will even get what they believe.  Some of our competitors are ok with selling out or even overselling when they take pre-orders.  I have seen the "you are wave 2" program for people expecting to get what they preordered that day.  That's not a great customer experience, we do everything possible to ensure we have product to meet a customer's pre-order.

Future Shop will have Wii U's for those that pre-ordered.  Future Shop will have "walk-in" units available on November 18th for Wii U.  If you want a Wii U and did not preorder I would encourage you to get there early as you can.  As soon as doors open, walk-in units will be sold on a first come first serve basis.  

As we get visiblity to future shipments, we'll do our best to alert everyone here in our forums and on our social media Twitter and Facebook Accounts.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.