Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

Inexperienced and incompetent

I wish to express my last experience at Best Buy. I went in looking to buy anti-malware software because I had let my Norton Antivirus lapse. Now, first thing... I have been a Norton user for years. It's always saved my bacon. Many years ago it was a dog, but recent versions have been very good.
Anyway, I went in and was told we no longer carry it. Buy some Russian product or some other product i have never heard of or has been reviewed. You see, I am a threat researcher and in all my testing Norton has been consistently good.
This "kid" told me thàt they no longer carry it. He then told me a bunch of lies. Including that Peter Norton, the inventor of antivirus basically created viruses to make Norton antivirus look better! Really? These lies and urban legends only hurt the security industry. Best Buy...please hire people that have a clue. Fire this kid!
Legendary Hero of the Universe
0 Kudos

Re: Inexperienced and incompetent

Did you talk to the store manager about the employee? This is a peer to peer forum so no one here will be able to do anything about the employee

Legendary Epic Genius

Hi there,

perhaps I can address some concerns, and offer some insight.

In regards to Norton and the Symantec brand in general, it is indeed true we no longer carry the product. It was pulled off the shelves sometime in September if memory serves me correctly. And one of our current partners Kaspersky - is a fairly widely known anti-virus company, they have been established since the late 1990s. Which was only about 7 years later after Symantec acquired Norton's software.

They also offer some great free utilities such as decryption software against ransomware which can be found here: http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/utility?CID=acq-freekasp-USA

I do agree that the employee shouldn't have portrayed Norton in the light of creating malicious software for their own benefit. And such a concern should be brought up with store leadership. But to play devils advocate - it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

We also carry a few other brands such as; Malwarebytes, BitDefender, ESET and McAfee.

Hope that helps.

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
0 Kudos

@Computers_Mike do you know why it is no longer carried? 

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Unfortunately @Drax86 I do not know the exact reasons, all I know is that the products were taken off within a week or so.

It just kinda happend one morning when I came into work.

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Norton was available for purchase up to a couple of days ago, though our new Vendor services. It's possible that it was removed to avoid direct competition with the on-line vendor. I am seeing this trend with other products that were readily available previously.

Highlighted
0 Kudos

I have been purchasing my norton through a competitor for a while now anyways as they tend to be much cheaper