Contributor
Dread

Online payments using PayPal?

Has Futureshop considered offering their customers a choice of using PayPal to pay for their online purchases? Personally I find it far easier and more conveinient to use PayPal than to use a Credit Card.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
JS

LOL that's prob not going to happen

LOL that's prob not going to happen
Contributor
Dread

Yeah I don't figure it'll happen either. I wonder why, th...

Yeah I don't figure it'll happen either. I wonder why, though. It seems like a lot of these big retail chains won't use it for some reason where other, smaller places are all over it.
Blogger
Graham

Hey Dread, I think it might be a bit unneeded to be hones...

Hey Dread,

I think it might be a bit unneeded to be honest. Between Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Future Shop Card and Gift Cards it's easy for anyone to make purchases online. Before Gift Cards were usable online I could see the reasoning for looking into PayPal - but now it seems like it would just be putting a redundant system in place.

The powers-that-be read these threads so I'm sure it'll be looked at, but unless there's a compelling reason to add it I don't see any action being taken. I could, however, be entirely wrong :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Graham

Blogger of the Year!
Contributor
Dread

I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I do a lot of...

I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I do a lot of business online and I more often than not get paid using PayPal. It'd be a lot easier for me if I could pay using PayPal. I often use another online retailer simply because they offer PayPal. If Futureshop had PayPal there'd literally be no reason for me to shop at this other retailer.

I also feel much more comfortable using PayPal over a Credit Card online too. Even though the percentage of people taking advantage of it wouldn't be all that high, it's an extra level of service for people like me.

More payment options couldn't hurt.
Visitor
sarcsid

i imagine the merchant costs of paypal are a significantl...

i imagine the merchant costs of paypal are a significantly higher % than with a credit card!  even a 1% increase in merchant costs can translate to millions of lost revenue on the back end!

SID
Blogger
Graham

Hey Dread, I hear you - having more options can be a good...

Hey Dread,

I hear you - having more options can be a good thing; putting the infrastructure in place to take advantage of those options can be difficult. PayPal also charges a per-purchase fee (which I'm sure you're familiar with); if that's not competitive with what's offered by existing forms of payment it might not be feasible to add them as an option.

As for security - I use PayPal as well, but I wouldn't call them a secure organization. Checkout aboutpaypal.org or google paypal horror stories - there's some crazy stuff that has happened to PayPal customers that makes me nervous. I've set up a secondary account for my PayPal transactions and I pull the money out at regular intervals - the idea of a frozen account and a customer service department that simply will not respond scares me. Things may have changed since the last time I had trouble with them but the experience wasn't good. I feel much more secure with the policies provided by my credit card company - I use a low limit card for online purchases and extend it temporarily if I ever need to make a larger purchase; between this and the fraud protection policies I feel good using this setup.

That said, I'm sure they'll take a look at it. If it's financially feasible and if PayPal can offer the same customer service assurances that Visa, MasterCard and Amex have offered then it could very well be a possibility. I'll keep my ears open and let you know if I hear anything that I'm allowed to pass on.

Cheers,

Graham

Blogger of the Year!
Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
mtrump

Paypal

[ Edited ]
Do you know that you can get a Paypal-linked Mastercard from their site? If you really want to use Paypal, use that Paypal Mastercard and you can have the purchase go directly against your Paypal account.

Message Edited by mtrump on 11-29-2007 05:02 PM
Visitor
korleone

BUY FUTURE SHOP GIFT CREDIT

[ Edited ]
I JUST FOUND THAT YOU CAN BUY FUTURE SHOP GIFT CARD USING PAYPAL AND THEN YOU CAN SHOP ONLINE IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY CREDIT CARDS

Message Edited by Julez on 07-24-2008 04:34 PM
Trusted Expert
quickinferno

How do you do that? Please explain.

korleone wrote:
I JUST FOUND THAT YOU CAN BUY FUTURE SHOP GIFT CARD USING PAYPAL AND THEN YOU CAN SHOP ONLINE IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY CREDIT CARDS

Message Edited by Julez on 07-24-2008 04:34 PM

How do you do that? Please explain.
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.