Scout
0 Kudos

Pet Policy

Me and my buddy used to love dropping into our local BB to check out the latest electronics and maybe pick up the latest Home Automation gadget or an upgrade for some other tech gadget in our house. However I recently noticed a new sign on the store indicate no dogs allowed (of course, and understandably, service animals are still allowed). Is this a new corporate policy? If so, what's the rationale?

From my observations, the smiles I see on the faces of your employees and customers - I can tell you that most people seem to truly enjoy the presence of a dog in your stores (others are indifferent - but I've never had an actual complaint). The number of customers and employees who not only look, but stop to say hello is amazing. It lightens the mood and makes conversations more relaxed, whether it's a conversation about where to find something in the store, or a conversation with a fellow customer about some product that we both have an eye on. Parents dragging their young kids through the store, looking for a new TV (or whatever) are always greatful for the distraction we provide.

In a city (such as Vancouver, where I am, and which has a large dog population), a policy like this stops me (and people like me) from taking the dog out for a walk and dropping by, unhurriedly perusing the products available and perhaps, if the deal is right picking something up on a whim.

This kind of policy seems like a step backwards. Please help me to understand why.

Luminary

Re: Pet Policy

[ Edited ]

Basically bad owners ruin it for everyone else. Most corporations are starting to do a no pet policy and you can list the reasons from safety,health,insurance, etc. but it mostly breaks down to bad owners. I personally don't have an issue with pets however i have seen instances of pets doing their business inside a store and also get freaked out by sudden loud sounds. Just as a quick example if a dog bit a child not only is the pet owner liable but so is the store.

Cities such as Vancouver have a lot of no pet clauses in their rental/lease agreements and pretty sure some businesses have to follow those clauses too.

Legendary Epic Genius

Hi there,

its possible this is a by-law in Vancouver for whatever reason, I would reach out to the GM of the store and inquire.

At my store here in Toronto we have dogs come in all the time.
Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Legendary Hero of the Universe

Typically its a city bylaw or health and safety bylaw, due to allergies or any of the thinks @yippy_13 mentioned (pooping in store, getting spooked, etc.)

I have no problems with pets personally, however I don't want to see a bunch of them in stores while I am shopping as I just don't know what the pets attitude is or how the owner has trained it

Legendary Oracle

HI @Is_It_Wireless

I have to agree with @yippy_13 and @Drax86.

Having been in sales for a long time, I experienced situations with pets that involved various unfortunate incidents.

In one case several years ago, a client walked into my store(Not Best Buy) with his pet terrier, the dog was very friendly, and during my conversation with the client about a VHS recorder, the dog did his business on a tower loudspeaker. I politely informed the customer that he just purchased a demo pair of B&W tower speakers with the VCR. I was lucky that this valued client is a responsible pet owner and understood my concerns as a shopkeeper, however things may have been different otherwise.

Service animals are permitted because they are in need as per by-laws, however they are also better trained than most pets.

Scout
0 Kudos

"I have no problems with pets personally, however I don't want to see a bunch of them in stores while I am shopping as I just don't know what the pets attitude is or how the owner has trained it"

I have the same thoughts about children! Smiley Happy

But seriously - I understand that bad owners are often the root cause of these kinds of policies (unfortunately bad parenting results in no such policies - come on, lets be honest here .. we all know there's some truth in there). Bylaws in Vancouver revolve around places that serve/sell food (which is another discussion for another forum on another day). 

Accidents happening in a store could be a problem, but is it any different than a customer spilling their venti latte all over the floor or merchandise? 

Interestingly, many stores in fact do allow dogs (provided they are leashed and under control) and of course if your dog is misbehaving they can ask you to leave (fair enough.. no different than if I misbehave in the store). I think that those places that do allow dogs do so because they've come to realize that in order to compete with online, they have to provide more incentives for more people to come back to the store.

Highlighted
Legendary Oracle

Hi @Is_It_Wireless, Although many stores do allow for pets, there are those stores that don't for other reasons, including  clients wishes who don't relate well with dogs, and therefore don't expect an animal in the store they are about to make a purchase, and decide to leave because the pet was allowed. Allergies are another issue.

There are stores that provide incentives with ideas like play areas for children, keeping in mind any liability issues, and in one case I recall seeing a store that had a dog waiting area for 4 pets.

Personally speaking, I'm an animal lover, I even had 2 cats over time, but business is business and pets have their place. I realize some people have an overwhelming affection to their pet, but they need to respect the people around them.

I know that accidents happen, but as the sign on the wall in the crystal shop says, " you break it you bought it". Smiley Wink

Scout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Computers_Mike It's amazing how closely the OP's case is like mine. I drop by the Best Buy at Bay/Dundas when walking my dog and I often walk out with a smart home gadget. Tonight, while picking up a Nanoleaf set, I was approached by a Best Buy employee who said that there's a new policy prohibiting dogs. I was considering buying a few more things. I was turned off by the sudden prohibition of my friendly and well behaved dog and almost didn't complete my purchase. If this policy is indeed true, it'll probably be my last purchase there since almost all of my Best Buy purchases were impulsive while walking my dog through the area. 

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

@PedroMarques I did some digging regarding our pet policy. It does indeed seem that our stores company wide do not allow pets with the exception of service animals. 

There should be a sign posted at the main entrance stating this. 

It's been in effect for about a month now, so it's fairly recent. 

Unfortunate indeed. 

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Scout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for looking into it Mike.

I guess that's it for my shopping at Best Buy. The Apple Store greets us enthusiastically. 

In a city that has high dog ownership, a business that prohibits them is essentially turning away a large demographic of customers. Those who embrace them win out. On King Street West where I live and Queen Street West nearby, dog ownership is much higher than parenthood. I rarely see any children around here while it seems that 1 in 3 people have dogs. Stores where dogs are welcome with water bowls and treats are bustling on weekends when everybody is out walking their dogs. Look into stores with No Dogs Allowed signs on the door and they're swatting flies. Know your neighbourhood's demographic. 

To be clear, I understand that Best Buy has every right to decide their own policies — just as I have every right to give my business to any store. In this case, I'm not planning to boycott Best Buy, I just can't go in and buy anything because I'm only ever in the area when I'm walking my dog. So, no more impulse purchases at Best Buy.