Visitor
kmclaren

Shaw PVRs?

I was ready to pick up the Shaw HD-PVR but now see there are 2 listed on the Future Shop website - 3416 and 6416. Can anyone tell me what the differences are in these?

Also, does Shaw provide the same support to customers who purchase their products elsewhere than Shaw?

Thanks, Kam.
Contributor
Eastwood

shaw pvr

Hi, Kam.  I'm just a fellow shopper like you, but have also been researching the Motorola HD-PVR's.  As I am in BC, I am also a Shaw customer.
As far as I can tell, if you buy the HD-PVR at Future Shop - since it comes from Shaw anyway - then you are covered for their services.  The Shaw website also claims this.  Future Shop ends up saving you some money, at this time about $50.
The previous version was the 3416, but now I believe only the 6416 is on the market as it is the newest version.  That is the only one I've seen in the F.S. paper flyer for some time now, and the only one that Shaw distributes.
You will, of course, still need to have Shaw switch you to HD programming, and when I sourced it out, they said it would be about $1/month more than my Digital package.  Keep in mind that only about 10 or so channels (at #'s 200 and up) are currently HD programming, and I've been told that some of the lower channels can look worse with the HD set-top box.
Also, you should have an HD television as well to view this, at least 720p or 1080i resolution.
The biggest advantage, and what I am most interested in, is the PVR recording.  There are 2 tuners, so you can watch one show and record another, and - unlike the Digital box - can set recordings for more than one channel while you are away, whereas with a Digital box and DVD recorder you are stuck picking just one program or at least just one channel to record from the whole time.  It won't matter if the shows you want to record are on the HD programming or not, as normal analog shows will simply give you a longer amount of recording storage time.  A further possibility is then to save shows from the PVR to your computer or other device, but I haven't got that far as I am only interested in watching what I missed and then clearing the recordings.
I hope that helped...
Contributor
Eastwood

More on PVR's

More research states that the biggest difference in the 3416 and 6416 is that the 3416 has no analog tuner, so both tuners in it are digital/hdtv, as opposed to the 6416 which has the ability for analog/digital/hdtv on both tuners.  Since the 6416 is cheaper than the 3416 right now at Future Shop, that would seem the way to go.
A great deal of info can always be found on Wikipedia, such as "How to use a Motorola DVR", or similar topics.
Contributor
DaveVanLangford

6416 vs 3416

The 3416 model of the PVR is the newer "all-digital" version of Shaw's HD cable box. Whereas the older 6416 model also did analog as well. In addition they have almost halved the depth of the 6416's box in the newer 3416 model making it much easier to fit into most home theatre entertainment centers and television stands.

It is important to make sure that the area you live in is able to support the new all digital box as I have found several customers with the new box are not able to access the analog channels with the newer all digital box. Call Shaw first to find out before heading out to Future Shop to purchase yours.

Many Future Shops may not be carrying the 6416 model anymore, fyi. And currently in BC there are 21 high definition channels available (200-221).
Trusted Expert
NOFEAR

22 channela are avail. 200 to 221 equal 22 with another 6...

22 channela are avail. 200 to 221 equal 22 with another 6 being added in about 6 weeks acording to Shaw.
Contributor
Eastwood

HD Channels

Actually - though you are technically correct in your math - there ARE only 21 HD channels on Shaw (in B.C.) at present, because currently Ch. 210 is not used.  If it were, of course, there'd be 22 HD channels...
Recognized Expert
Ajax

210 in Burnaby is CTV, not sure about the rest of the pro...

210 in Burnaby is CTV, not sure about the rest of the province. Watching it right now :smileyhappy:
Trusted Expert
NOFEAR

love you Ajax

love you Ajax
Contributor
Eastwood

Ch 210

In Langford, where "DaveVanLangford" is from, CTVHD is on Ch 217; channel 210 is unused - you can't even lock it in.
Recognized Expert
Ajax

For me, 217 is CTV Toronto, which is great for the time s...

For me, 217 is CTV Toronto, which is great for the time shift. 210 is the Vancouver feed.
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.