Scout

What about Canadian and the Ring range of products that don't work when its too cold? Why sell them

Have a Ring doorbell and found that the battery keeps going dead even though its hardwired.  I spent an hour talking to support from Ring only to find out that if its cold then you need to expect to bring the doorbell in intermittently when its cold so that it can charge and "warm up".  The guy insists that the door bell works.  My argument is that if you have to bring your doorbell "in out of the cold" then its not actually working.

I have two questions:

Is anyone else having the same issue and is there a work around?

If its doesnt function in the Canadian winter then why is is being sold in Canada as a product that works?

Thoughts anyone....

Legendary Oracle

Re: What about Canadian and the Ring range of products that don't work when its too cold? Why sell t

Welcome to the Best Buy Community Plog-in forum @rb2901 Smiley Happy

I think the problem that you are experiencing may be due to a simple loosening of 2 screws.Smiley Wink

When installing the mounting plate, the attaching screws may end up being too tight, which warps the mounting plate abit. This is sufficient to prevent the electrical contacts from making a connection, between the mounting plate and the Ring Doorbell. The result is a drained battery since the unit is not being powered, and especially if the Video/trigger preferances aren't set properly in the application.

I'd suggest starting by loosening the mounting screws about 1/4 turn, and if possible make sure to clean the contacts before re-installing the Ring doorbell.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Scout

Re: What about Canadian and the Ring range of products that don't work when its too cold? Why sell t

Thanks for that suggestion.  I've already tried that.  Ring state is a battery issue.  They have remotely diagnosed it and its purely due to the temperatures here in Canada.

Legendary Oracle

I did a little more research and noted that, Ring Doorbell uses a Lithium Polymer battery, which can withstand temperatures of up to 40F or 4.4C.

So.., not really designed for our extreme weather conditions.Smiley Frustrated

Legendary Hero of the Universe

Typically anything with a battery will drain much faster in cold winter conditions. 

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I stand (sit) corrected.Smiley Embarassed

The Ring doorbell's operating temperature is rated at ;

-5°F to 120°F or (-20°C to 48°C) .

However, as stated, cold weather does affect battery life for any battery operated device. 

I realize that Ring Doorbell diagnosed the unit, I am wondering if sensitivity, recording time.., settings may also affect the duration / longevity of the battery so dramatically in this case.