Software

Visitor
delmaryoder

Would AVG antivirus be a good replacement for Norton 360?

My mom is having this battle with me on which software to use to protect our computer. Now since we have had Norton 360 for about a year (we have 6 days left), my mom is saying that we should "Just get a free antivirus program because Norton 360 isnt in our budget right now". Would AVG free edition be a good replacement to cover for Norton 360?
Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador
XL

Re: Would AVG antivirus be a good replacement for Norton 360?

[ Edited ]

I can understand cost becomes a challenge.  But here's a few thoughts....

• 360 includes performance tuning features.  Does AVG offer this?
  • 360 includes a software firewall.  Would AVG offer this?
  • Do you have more than one computer?  You can spread the cost across 3 machines.
  • how important is it to you to NOT have malware?

This article may be a little old, but may be of interest...

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,210589/printable.html

Trusted Expert
Atomic

I do not use Norton, but only the free anti-virus available from Microsoft.

I choose to back-up regularly, and keep the minimal amount of software and information on my laptop.

When viruses or malware become a problem, I do a factory restore.

Recognized Expert
clicker22

i to use the free Microsoft anti-virus software since iv been using it it has did its job for me.if a virus gets detected on my operating system i restore a system image even if the software cleans the virus i do this for the just in case factor.

Visitor
shondabean

AVG is good. So is Avira and Avast! You can use a combination of free programs to get comprehensive coverage. I use all freeware to protect my computer. Check out Gizmo's reviews for lots of info on free antivirus software.
Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
Expert (Software)
mtrump

If all you are using Norton 360 for is antivirus/antispyware part, then by all means, switch to free products like AVG Free, Avast Free or even Microsoft Security Essentials.  On the other hand, if you are using those other functionalities (such as backup, email scanning, tuneup, etc.) then you'll need to ask yourself whether you can live without those functionalities.

Personally I use mainly free antivirus products (Avast and Microsoft), with the exception of one machine using Windows Home Server in which free products would not support.  (In that case I am using Eset NOD32 - the only commonly available and least expensive product that supports WHS.)

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.