Sony PlayStation 4, PS3, PS Vita & PSP

Visitor
joshua_r17

What would be the best TV to buy for a PlayStation3?

I'm planning on buying a PlayStation3 from future shop.

I also need to buy a TV to go with it, which I also plan to get from futureshop.

I was wondering, what are some of the specs/things I need to make sure this TV has?

Like, is plasma/LCD or whatever better for a TV?

I will mainly be using it to play PS3 games, I really  want the games to look amazing.

Please ask me any questions that can help you, help me :smileyhappy:

I will try to answer them...I don't know much about TVs.

Even linking me good tvs from the future shop site would be great .

thank you!

---------------------------

P.S - What do the different GB PS3s...do? Like, what is the advantages of having one with a higher amount of GB?

Thanks for your time! 

Emerging Expert
TylerMrK

Admittedly, I'm no TV expert. That being said, there are...

Admittedly, I'm no TV expert. That being said, there are some things to watch for when buying a TV for anything, not just gaming.

High contrast ratio - means the blacks are as black as possible and the whites are as white as possible. 

High refresh rate - This was a big deal with the old CRTs. The higher the refresh rate, the smoother the image. Some of the TVs out now have 120hz, which is good. Some people don't notice a difference o_O.

Low response time - I had a heck of a time trying to find out the response time for my TV when we were going to buy it, but especially with gaming, you want a responsive TV that gives you the most accurate picture possible to what is going on in the actual system. High response time means you'll get ghosting, causing a blurry image. 

Some TVs have some sort of gaming mode you can turn on (my samsung does) which apparently optimizes it for gaming. TBH, I don't really know what it does, heh.

Your best bet is probably to either post in the TV area for help, or go into a store and try and talk to the guys there, and tell them you want something for gaming. Try and google some LCD test patterns after you get it for optimal setup. 

XBL/PSN ID: TylerMrK
Xfire: cbwmrk
Trusted Expert
lilwingman

In terms of the different models, they are quite similar....

In terms of the different models, they are quite similar.  The 80 GB has 80 GBs of space to store movies, music, save files, demos, etc, while the 160 GB has just that, 160 GBs of space for the same stuff.  If you are a media buff than I'd consider the 160 GB, but for the everyday gamer the 80 should be plenty.  Also keep in mind though that the 160 GB model does come with a game bundled in, and a voucher for a free download of the PSN game PAIN.

As for TVs, you'll hear a lot of different opinions, but, personally, I think plasma is the better choice for gamers (and TVs in general).  LCDs have made strides in all the categories that TylerMrK mentioned, but plasma still has the advantage across the board generally speaking.  However, an important consideration is where your TV will be placed, as plasma's superiority falters in brightly-lit rooms.  In low- to mid-lighting definitely look into plasma.

Emerging Expert
TylerMrK

I been under the impression that lately LCDs have pulled...

[ Edited ]

I've been under the impression that lately LCDs have pulled away from the Plasmas, and that the Plasmas still have an issues with burn-in (though over a much longer time than before). Any reason why you suggest a plasma for gaming over an LCD?

I'm a bit of a TV noob, I specialize mainly in PC gaming stuff, so it's always been a debate over CRT vs LCD for me =p. 

Message Edited by TylerMrK on 12-23-2008 04:21 PM
XBL/PSN ID: TylerMrK
Xfire: cbwmrk
Trusted Expert
lilwingman

On older models burn-in is definitely a major issue, but...

On older models burn-in is definitely a major issue, but recently released plasmas (especially from the major manufacturer's) have resistant technology which prevents it (ie. pixel shifting).

As for why I personally think plasma is the better technology, when you consider that it surpasses LCD in each of the three categories you mentioned earlier in this thread there's really no contest (though the newest LCDs are catching up). The most important of those, in my opinion, is the contrast ratio.  It is what really makes an image pop.  You won't find black levels on any LCDs that rival those of equivalent plasmas. 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.