Pioneer
0 Kudos

Connecting Sony Receiver to Samsung Smart TV

How do I connect an old Sony receiver to a Samsung Smart TV if receiver does not have HDMI port. I have very good Onkyo speakers that came with the Onkyo receiver I purchased 10 years ago which are connected to my Sony receiver.  I would like to connect my old Sony receiver but don't know how.  Can you help?

Legendary Oracle

Re: Connecting Sony Receiver to Samsung Smart TV

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the Best Buy Community Plug-in forum @aherreraSmiley Happy

There is a way to connect your TV's Digital Optical Audio output, to your receiver, so that you can hear the TV through your stereo system.

You will need to use a Digital to Analogue Converter, like below, which will convert the optical connection to RCA connectors, which you can connect to Aux. or Tape, or CD input of your receiver.

Remember to turn off the TV's speakers in the TV's audio menu and set the TV audio output to PCM .

When you use Netflix, you will need to set the Netflix Audio to Stereo, not 5.1 .

All devices that you have which use HDMI, will need to be connected to the TV. If the TV doesn't have enough HDMI inputs, you can use an HDMI Switch to add more. Smiley Happy

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Thank you.  sounds simple to do and I will try but where do I buy what I need to do this?  and, will I still hear the sound if I have my HD Samsung DVD players hooked into my Samsung Smart TV, this dvd player is hooked up to TV via HDMI cable.  thank for your help.

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

aherrera wrote:

Thank you.  sounds simple to do and I will try but where do I buy what I need to do this?  and, will I still hear the sound if I have my HD Samsung DVD players hooked into my Samsung Smart TV, this dvd player is hooked up to TV via HDMI cable.  thank for your help.

You can purchase the equipment you need on the Best Buy web site, if you click on the link I provided ( Above) it will take you to the page you need, which will allow you to order the unit from one of the authorized vendors.

You will also need an RCA cable which you may already have or get one at any Best Buy or similar store.

Yes, you will get sound from the Smart TV, no matter what source you are watching, Blu-Ray or YouTube,Netflix etc.. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Pioneer
0 Kudos

okay, thank you