Scout
0 Kudos

Does Best Buy sell any TVs with non-reflective screens?

I'm not able to look at most TVs, because of how reflective they are.  Most TVs are fancy mirrors.  I bought a great little non-reflective Samsung TV from Best Buy maybe eight years ago, but am hoping to get another one, possibly larger.  I have a disability now that keeps me stuck at home, so I can't go to stores and look for myself.

I see that there's a 28 inch LED Samsung Matte-black listed, but there's no indication whether that refers to the frame/bezel or the screen.

Does anyone know of any TV models for sale that have non-reflective screens?

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

Re: Does Best Buy sell any TVs with non-reflective screens?

All or most screens are highly reflective.  This is because of the glass used to manufacture today's screens.  You could probably purchase an anti-glare screen somewhere, but I'm not even sure if they make them that big and your picture may be distorted.

Have you considered controlling your ambient light in your room to make it darker?

The only other thing i could suggest is to have a friend go and shop for you, or call your local BB store and speak with a representative in TVs and explain your concern.

Scout
0 Kudos

I appreciate the response, SonicBoom!  However, it doesn't help me.

I know that non-reflective TVs exist, just like non-reflective computer monitors exist (like half the ones BENQ makes).  Buying an anti-glare screen to put over top of a reflective TV is just adding more problem for me visually: I would not be able to look at it.

I already live in a very light-controlled room: I have no reflective surfaces (no glass anywhere) and a small amount of specially crafted ambient lighting.

My problems with sound are far worse than my light issues, and am unable to do the telephone thing.  When environmental conditions are okay and I'm feeling up to it, I'll use my computer or watch some TV.  These things become very exciting when you've spent the last couple of days sitting alone in the dark.

I have a relative that will go and buy something for me, if I can name specifically what it is and where to get it (assuming I can't buy it online).  That's it.

I've found ones for sale online in the US, but their sellers won't ship to Canada.

When I bought my current TV, prior to my sound issues, I got a ride to Best Buy and walked around the sales floor turning off the display models (and back on again).  Most were mirrors when turned off, but there were several that were completely non-reflective: you couldn't see a hint of yourself or anything else when looking at them.  I really wish I could do this again, but I can't.

I thought it couldn't hurt to ask, hoping that someone working in one of the bigger stores might know, or take a tour around the sales floor sometime when they're bored.  Or that someone else who's been looking for non-reflective TVs recently  sees this post and lets me know what they have found.  Gotta have hope!

Legendary Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Most TV nowadays are of that reflective model (I have one Toshiba that I got 8 years ago is non-reflective; on the other hand, the Sony that I bought 5 years ago is reflective).

I think your best bet may be looking at some of the non-top-tier brand models (like Philips or Insignia).

Highlighted
Legendary Epic Genius

My Vizio TV sits somewhere in the middle. It's like a weird cross between reflective and matte. There's some glare that comes off of it, but it's not a pane of glass that is like looking at a window.

Have you tried going in and looking at the TVs on display to see if there is one that meets your needs?

JB

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg