Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

HELP ! region free dvd player???

so, i just got some dvd's for christmas mailed in from the UK. i knew i would have this problem, but i just want to make sure these things exsist before i go ask for them haha

these dvd's are region 2 dvds. They won't play on Canadian dvd players (region 1).

my question is does anyone know if these REGION FREE players are available at bestbuy? ive heard of the region free codes, am gonna try that but just incase Smiley Wink

thnx! Smiley Happy

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle

Re: HELP ! region free dvd player???

[ Edited ]

Yes the region-free code players do exist, but they are not mainstream.  Most Canadian DVD players are sold with North American Region enabled.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code.  Some players allow you to tinker with the Region codes more easily than others.  Some players allow you to tinker with the region code a set number of times before they disable it.  If you get content from another region often, it may be easier to get two players with one set to North America and the other to the other region.

One store that specializes on foreign content is in this Sun story. <Link Removed>

The Captain
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I got a all region DVD player from Viewsonic brand.  Quite a good one as a backup.  You can try **competitors**,  **competitor**.

Good luck.

Pioneer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I bought region free DVD player software to watch DVDs on my PC from this company: 

Rio DVD region free player

It works fine with no problems.

Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I pretty have had the same problem by receiving some European dvds. I knew, just like you mentioned, that I will not be able to play them in Canada, because of the different region codes, therefore, I googled some sites

In the meantime, I want to encourage you to buy from Canadian websites, so you can avoid extra shipping, taxes and border fee charges. Many Canadian companies offer free shipping after a certain purchase amount. If I remember well, I've seen mutlisystem or region free dvd and blue-ray players on BestBuy's websites. When I was ready to buy it, I could not find it anymore. I just wrote to customer service, so maybe they can help with my search. I belive BestBuy (for online purchases) ships for free over $20. It's worth a try...

Good luck with your search.

George

Scout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello fellow Brit,

I had the same problem and discovered that you can only really get Blu-Ray/DVD players that are truly region-free with an after market fix / modification.

Bear in mind that merely region-free is not enough, you also need one that can convert PAL to NSTC. I got a unit that had an in built convertor and I can watch my region 1's and 2's without problem now.  

Good luck!

Chris

Scout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you want to watch world-wide content, try Internet TV and radio.

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

From past experience, I noticed that some region free units will play certain copies some units without sound or poor colour, not all, yet few others will play all with no problem such as Cambridge Audio DVD89 that didn't have a problem with any DVD/R put into it.

Best to try on the PC first, determine what format it is, then try it on a machine that does not have a region code icon on the box.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Legendary Oracle
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

My thoughts...

• there are travel electronic stores that sell multi-region players
  • DVD players are so cheap, just get a second one for your computer and set it to the other region.  There are plug in USB DVD drives too.
  • Are DVD's in other regions encoded with a different frequency?  Do they flicker when you play it back on North American systems?  This was a problem when I shot relatives wedding videos and took them back to China
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

The problem with some DVD's not playing properly is the way they were formatted on the burning machine.  I found similar problems to what you're describing, and the only unit that could play all formats that I presented to it was the Cambridge Audio.  I am sure there may be others like it, but I suggest trying at least a few DVD's to see which works best for you.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg