Luminary
0 Kudos

Ordered the STRDN1080 Sony Receiver

I have no idea why I did this but I ordered it and I am typing up my first world problem here so I can clarify this in my mind.

It was the receiver I would have bought if it was available back when I bought the older STRDN1060 Sony Receiver.

The one major problem with the STRDN1060 is that it didn't support my Playstation Pro 4K HDR passthrough and Sony would not update their firmware to do so because they wanted you to buy the new STRDN1080, thus my Sony Playstation is plugged directly to my 4K tv instead. Now with HDMI-CEC and HDMI-ARC, this isn't really a problem as turning on your Sony Playstation automatically switches both your TV and Receiver (for sound) to the correct input-output settings.

The Sony Playstation Pro itself, has a problem with outputting HDR when connected to the VR-box. No HDR at all if you have the VR box connected. To get VR, you have to disconnect the VR box and connect the Playstation Pro directly to your 4K HDR TV. Even using the splitter without a smartoutlet to turn the VR box completely off, the signal doesn't switch to 4k HDR if the PS4 detects the VR box connected on the HDMI pathway.

Yup, a completely first world problem for those who owns a 4k HDR TV, a Playstation Pro and the VR box.

Thus the Sony Playstation VR community has come up with an elaborate HDMI switch box with smart outlets that almost manages this situation properly except the solution is as confusing as the problem. 

The solution is to use a HDMI switch to bypass the VR box when playing 4k HDR games. When playing VR games, the HDMI signal is then routed to the VR Box. Seems simple in the explanation but trust me, there are a lot of cables routing to and from the Playstation to the VR box, splitters and smart outlets. The smart outlets, of course, are to turn on and off the VR Box as well as turning on and off the Splitter to reset the Splitter. With smartoutlets, all I have to do is say "Siri, turn on VR" and the same for the splitter by telling Siri to turn it off and on.

I took it all off when I cleaned up my setup as the cables resemble a pit of snakes and replaced all the cables with a coupler so depending on which games I want to play, (VR or HDR 4k games), I wouldthen  connect my PS4 directly.

So this leads back to "why I am buying the newer STRDN1080 Receiver?"

The thought is, if I fed both the split signal, one 4k HDR and one VR to the receiver, I should be able to select 4kHDR or VR using my remote thus fixing all my first world problems at a cost of $600 + tax.

At this moment in time, I don't know if I really want to test this out. I am happy with the HDMI coupler method and I rarely switch between playing HDR games like Final Fantasy XV with my VR games during the same play session. Also the splitter causes a burp in the digital sound thus requiring an optical cable from my PS4 to the receiver (more cable snakes).

Thus after typing all this up, I am now thinking that I should just take the receiver back to Best Buy when it arrives. After all, what am I going to do with my old STRDN1060? .... oh well.... just got the email that my order has been shipped and will arrive tomorrow. 

Luminary
0 Kudos

Re: Ordered the STRDN1080 Sony Receiver

[ Edited ]

So the STRDN1080 arrived and the box is sitting unopened in my apartment foyer.

The other reason why the STRDN1080 pulled so strongly on my heartstrings, other than the HDMI 4k HDR switch support,  was the new Dolby Atmos. When I first read about Dolby Atmos last year, I didn't really think much about it as it was just another surround sound setting that I could choose from. 

The main difference between Dolby regular and Dolby Atmos are that sounds are object based and not channel (speakers) based; meaning that objects like helicopters will sound like it is flying through the air above you, independant of the number of speakers you have; thus instead of a helicopter sound flying from one speaker to another, the receiver will make sure that it flies overhead from left to right. however to achieve this, you need ceiling speakers Smiley Sad 

Thus... to this effect, I went out and bought back the Bose 161 speakers that I had sold when I converted to my current 601/301 setup that wasn't recommended by @Elico47, to be used as my ceiling speakers. They were the only bookshelf speakers that doesn't have a big subwoofer attached to them and are small enough to be mounted near the ceiling. They were only $75; I sold mine for $60, so I lost $15 in the rebuying.

Even though I bought the 161s and they too are sitting beside the un-opened Sony receiver, I am still sitting on the fence on whether or not to keep the STRDN1080. 

Is Atmos that big of deal?

Anyone?

Luminary
0 Kudos

Does anyone want an update? does anyone actually frequent these forums other than the kudos gang of five?

There was a lot of procrastination here as I had seriously wanted to return the new receiver.

However who am I kidding, I've already re-bought the Bose 161, bought the speaker wires 14gauge 50 feet, banana plugs and they were all sitting in the foyer along with the receiver. All I needed was some motivation.

I am not sure how often all you entertainment enthusiasts out there have rewired your entertainment center, but I have done this at least a dozen times for the last half year due to my incessant buying of the latest hardware.

Anyways, after swapping out my not that old STRDN1060 and swapping in the new STRDN1080 which is slightly smaller, plugging in all the banana plug speaker wires that were meticulously labeled before unplugging from the old receiver, plugging in the most important gear that the STRDN1080 was bought for (the Sony Playstation) and finally powering it all on (with baited breath), the Sony came up with NOT detecting HDR, 4k RGB....

"Ahhh hah!" I said.... I wasted my time and money.... 

after firmware update.... and checking through the options... hmmmm switching HDMI input to Advance 4k HDR support....

and... my Sony Playstation detected the 4k HDR mode and came up.

ok.... fine....

I guess it is a keeper and I'm out of pocket for $700.

I spent the rest of the afternoon tweaking the receiver because it really sounded terrible; apparently the default for 5.1 has the option subwoofer cutoff frequency ON. At the end of the day, Dolby Surround is just Dolby Surround. There was no on screen option to select Atmos? There was no Dolby Music, so I just used Dolby Movie instead. It was good enough.

I read somewhere that the STRDN1080 did not sound as warm as the STRDN1070, thus I have been feeling that the sound quality was indeed a less warmer than my STRDN1060; I really have no idea.

Today, I mounted my 161 Bose speakers on the wall to act as ceiling speakers.

Watched my favorite surround sound movie BFG and it sounded great. Listened to some music in Surround sound, sounded great... although not as warm as my STRDN1060, seriously :-P 

Unfortunately I don't have any Atmos demo disk nor do I have a Atmos DVD player. I'll have to depend on my receiver to up convert my various sources like netflix and Apple TV that is probably feeding my receiver with regular Dolby surround; thus I probably won't get any helicopters flying overhead.

As mentioned in my first post, this should have been the receiver that I should have bought at the begining, however now that I do have it and it has been assimilated into my entertainment system, I will have to pretend that I had bought this earlier and blank out the temporary purchase of the STRDN1060.

The sad part is nobody seems to be buying old used receivers from Craigs, at least I haven't receive any calls yet.

Thank goodness that I saved $100 from the Best Buy sale, otherwise I would be feeling worse :-P

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

I've not only re-wired several of my entertainment systems over time, but I also re-arranged my Parents, Sister's Living rooms, friends living rooms, as well as my own, to accomodate my re-wiring and re-positioning of speakers, to allow for ultimate sound quality. (perfection doesn't happen by accident)

I'm glad that you are enjoying your new receiver, it may not be as "warm" sounding as the 1060, but I would imagine it has other attributes such as better channel separation or dynamic range etc.., to compensate.  You may be able to tailor the sound quality a bit, with either tone controls, speaker placement and yes, even cabeling, can make a small difference.

There are several other on-line venues to sell your old equipment besided craigs.

Plugin_emailSignature.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

Elico47 wrote:

I've not only re-wired several of my entertainment systems over time, but I also re-arranged my Parents, Sister's Living rooms, friends living rooms, as well as my own, to accomodate my re-wiring and re-positioning of speakers, to allow for ultimate sound quality. (perfection doesn't happen by accident)

Well I guess only an enthuiast would enjoy reconfiguring their system over and over and over again... :-P 

Before all my recent changes, my old receiver plus my satellite Bose were setup in 2005 and left as-is til 2016 when I bought the Sony Playstation VR then nothing was the same after that.

My OCD is really driving me nuts with the nest of wires plus the lopsided installation of the wall speakers Smiley Sad I'll need to fix the wall speakers some other day.

IMG_4255.jpgIMG_4256.jpgIMG_4257.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Last update.

Apparently the reviewers were right about the STRDN1080 on not being as warm as the older models and this has to do with all frequencies being more equal; ie lower frequencies have been dialed down quite a bit, hence not as warm as the STRDN1060.

How do I know? Well throughout the day I kept feeling like something is missing and that was the bass (I left it at the old receiver setting), so in order to compensate I decided to dial up my subwoofer; which previously was set at a very low setting because the STRDN1060 was quite heavy on the bass already; the subwoofer just added that extra kick. With the STRDN1080, I had to turn up the subwoofer halfway in order to fill in the missing frequencies. I made sure in the receiver options that subwoofer cutoff was off, speakers set to large, so the missing lower frequencies couldn't be the settings? or could it?

After a lot of frustration with messing with the settings manually, I  finally turned on the automatic calibration and then I tweaked it afterwards and it came out much better than I had expected.

I think that there is a major issue with Sony's firmware as I remember having the same problems with the STRDN1060 and it was only after a lot of fiddling with the options when suddenly the bass sounded great.

Anyways with all the speakers balanced at a proper distance and levels, the 5.2.2 speaker array is now sounding like a single sound stage rather than 7 individual speakers that sounded like 7 iphones in the room.

Yup phasing is also  important :-P It is funny what you learn under frustration. If your speakers are out of phase, your music becomes very noisey because they don't blend.  Your speakers blends together when they are in phase and apparently this is an option to turn on only after calibration of which you destroy and re-adjust anyways (e.g. the auto calibration added 3db to my subwoofer at which I dialed it back down and turned up my subwoofer volume instead, plus I change the cutoff frequency on my Sub to be a bit higher to give back that needed warmth).

It isn't bad, nor is it jaw dropping different from my old STRDN1060.

However I am playing my music at a medium level and the music is comfortable. In other words I don't have that feeling like I have to turn down the music because of my neighbours. Unlike my old STRDN1060 at which the bass was just on the edge where I could feel the thumps in the kitchen.  I realize that this is a volume thing of the subwoofer, but remember I had it turned down almost at volume level 2, versus the current volume level of 6.

I can still feel the thumps but the whole blending is much more comfortable than my old receiver. Go figure... 

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

In all honesty, I didn't "enjoy" re-arranging furniture, or re-wiring those systems, however I did enjoy the new results when I found I was right. :-), and that called for some wobbly pop to celebrate and a favourite Telarc CD, for arduous testing.

BTW, as suggestions to the spaghetti of cables you have;

-  Cut off all excess speaker cable

-  ( If you don't cut off excess) Do not coil excess speaker cable (You'll create a "choke"( filter) or an antenna)

-  You can bundle signal cables (RCA, HDMI, Co-ax cable, provided they are properly shielded) and speaker cables .

-  Keep power cables separated from and away from speaker and signal cables.

-  Do not use AC power splitter from a power bar

-  Do not use a power bar to connect another power bar.

-  Consider using a power bar with filtration for the TV, Stereo system, and gaming consoles

Luminary
0 Kudos

Elico47 wrote:

BTW, as suggestions to the spaghetti of cables you have;

-  Cut off all excess speaker cable

-  ( If you don't cut off excess) Do not coil excess speaker cable (You'll create a "choke"( filter) or an antenna)

-  You can bundle signal cables (RCA, HDMI, Co-ax cable, provided they are properly shielded) and speaker cables .

-  Keep power cables separated from and away from speaker and signal cables.

-  Do not use AC power splitter from a power bar

-  Do not use a power bar to connect another power bar.

-  Consider using a power bar with filtration for the TV, Stereo system, and gaming consoles

ha!!

none of that for me, thank you.... if it works, I'm happy....  

btw you forgot mentioning cable bridges....

IMG_0359.jpg.c233dc5af810f2a932b8fd738f1693eb.jpg

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

You could look into those, but I think it's a waste of time and money.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

What the heck are those things?

They look like the ramps I used to set up for my Hot Wheels tracks.

I don't really think you need to worry about that extra stuff.  If it is working, then leave it and tuck all the cables along the corners of the floorboards.