Pioneer
0 Kudos

Pissed Off

I just recently purchased a curved Samsung 55 inch 8500. On the box it says HDMI. All during the discussions with the salesperson there was no mention of any special requirements. 

Upon mounting the Tv on the wall the next step was to hook it up. Much to my surprize there is no HDMI slot. I called samsung and spoke to a rep and was told that this unit requires the purcahse of a "one connect" box. 

a quick look online and i was shocked at the price of one. **competitor** sells a new one for 900+ and a used one for 447. **bleep**

Basically without this i cant hook up the TV. 

the salesperson should have mentioned this tiny point during our discussion. I find it hard to believe they are not aware of this. 

I honestly feel like i was mislead. I have 3 TV,s that i have just purchased from best buy including all the wall mounts, Im contemplating taking them all back without any lube.

Hope best buy isnt counting on good word of mouth advertsing from me.

Has anyone else had this issue or know of where a box that is compatable can be purchaed. I tried to call best buy 3 times today , twice they tried to transfer my call and finally said they were going to walk my contact info over to the electronics department. Must be a very very big store, still have not gotten a call back.

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Re: Pissed Off

Hey @9817.

Sorry to read about the issue you described. I know you're already coordinating with the store, but if you would like, I can also forward your email to one of the teams in customer service, in addition to you having already contacted the store. Someone from that team can provide further assistance. They will reach out via email. They might not be able to respond instantaneously though. Don't post your email on here for privacy reasons. If you would like me to forward your email along, please send me a private message and provide me with your email. 

Thanks.

BBYTerence

Community Coordinator

Plug-in | Join the conversation

Legendary Epic Genius

Hi there,

to start off, i must say that i have never heard of a TV that did not come with any sort of video input, let alone no HDMI in this digital era.

I checked our website and searched "Samsung 8500" compared 4 different TV's that came up from the search result and all have HDMI inputs - 4 to be exact.

Next I looked up this "one connect" box, from Samsungs website it says, "Upgrade select 2013, 2014 and 2015 Samsung UHD TVs to the latest hardware and software. Get the latest version of Smart Hub with enhanced UI features."

To me, that sounds like an add-on accessory for earlier gen TVs that do not have the latest HDMI standard for 4K video, note why it says select.

And finally, the website further goes to say, "The One Connect Box is an innovation designed to provide clean integration of all of your external devices into a single cable to the tv."

So that being said, it still needs a cable to go into the TV, it is not a wireless solution. Therefore, your TV has to have an HDMI port (or 4) on it, be it on the top/bottom/sides or under a plastic cover.

I would suggest going to the store and finding your model on display (if possible) and ask a sales associate to show you where the ports are, as sometimes they can be hidden when a TV is wall mounted. Such an example is a Samsung 46" i have at home, the HDMI ports are mounted vertically, about half way up from the bottom of the TV. So I have to mcguyver my hand in between the TV and the wall, making sure not to knock it off the wall0mount incase I need to change the HDMI cable or something of the sort. 

Best of luck.

Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627
Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

All Samsung KS8500 come with a one connect in the box.ks8500-in-the-box-small

Is it possible that it was missed during unpacking?

Did you purchase an "open box" item ?

Pioneer
0 Kudos

thanks for the input. I've been doing some reasearch on this. The TV is a newer model , it manufactured September 2016. i  have lloked and confirmed  that there are no actual HDMI slots on this TV, unbelievable in this day and age. I was able to contact a dealer that can order me the box from Sansumg at of a cost of over 400 dollars. im also being told that it should have been included with the tv. 

Going to call best buy tomorrow ans see what they say. 

Pioneer
0 Kudos

it was not an open box item. I have talked with a couple of dealers now and they say the same thing. It should of come with the TV. when i realized it was missing I went into the garage and rechecked all the packing material, even though i knew i hadnt over looked it . 

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If the box was a factory sealed box then it should have come in the box. If the packing tape was labled with a store logo than it's possible that it's open box.

Very rare to see something like that missing from a factory sealed box. I'd reccomend that you contact Best Buy Customer Service immediatly, and even go back to the store to get another unit.

I'd also suggest that prior to leaving with the TV, request to physically inspect the TV for shipping damage, and confirm all accessories are included. I am sure that the staff will be happy to help you with this process.

Nice choice of TV BTW Heart, I really like the idea behind the One Connect, it makes connection of other devices easier and allows for a slimmer thinner panel.

Will you be calibrating it? I may be wrong, but I think that this model qualifies for an ISF calibration promotion (Ask about it in the store)which you can take advantage of.

Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

So I wandered over to the TV section and checked out the KS8500 series TV's - and to my amazement there was no HDMI port!

The TV on display had a USB port, audio and this random proprietary connector used for the box. I must say I question the industrial design of this but that's marketing for ya.

I did ask the home theatre team that the boxes are included.

I've also reached out to another group regarding specification descriptions as I do not believe the listing of '4 hdmi ports' is quite accurate.

To OP; I do hope your issue is resolved.
Senior Precinct Chief Store #965 - Badge #70627