Truth Seeker
0 Kudos

Rip off!!!!

How is it that the Samsung TV model UN65KU6290 sells for $899.99 in the USA today and in Canada we have to pay $1899.99............even with the exchange rate set...we are still being ripped off!

Legendary Hero of the Universe

Re: Rip off!!!!

[ Edited ]

There is more than just exchange rate to take in to count. Also currently the manufacture shows a price of $1000+ USD

There is also some other USA stores that have it listed at $1000+ USD I found one that even shows the original price of $1800 USD

You are more than welcome to buy it from the US from $899USD but I guarantee once you pay shipping and duties and taxes you will be over $1800 CDN

Custom fees are sometimes around 40% so you are looking at about $1300USD already just for Custom fees then you would also need to pay Federal and provincial taxes on top of that

Highlighted
Legendary Oracle

Welcome to the Best Buy Community Plug-in Forum @JohnGoncalves Smiley Happy

As @Drax86 mentioned, there are a few variables to consider when it comes to pricing differences between USA and Canada.

The main thing to consider, is that the prices that you see, have been approved by the manufacturer and the distributor, of the product in question. As each country has a different distributor and each distributor will have different buying requirements of models and quantities, which affects overall pricing .

It's also entirely possible that, this model is being phased out to make room for newer models, which were introduced at the CES at the begining of this month,  so the pricing for this model might also change in Canada soon.Smiley Wink

As mentioned, you are welcome to purchase the TV in the USA ( I'd wait ), however any future warranty claim will have to be fulfilled in the USA.

There are many cases where Canadian prices are lower than those in the USA.

The Captain

I've never seen custom fees that high - if the tv was "assembled" in North America then you'll pay 13% on the conversion.

So US$900, likely free shipping in the US as they're all about free shipping outside of specialty white glove services, is converted at 36% to CDN$1225 + 13%HST (or whatever your province charges) = CDN$1385.

That's savings of almost $800.

I work for Panasonic Canada and I bought a 60" VT60 plasma in the US in Dec 2013 and saved about that same amount over my EMPLOYEE cost!! It was list $3200, employee price at the time was $2600, I got it shipped to Buffalo from California for US$1800 and the rate at the time was around 10% or so. Magic.

Elico raises an important issue with doing this, many top brands will not service your TV in Canada under warranty if you purchase in the US. So you must remember when importing your TV to have them note the serial# on the invoice in customs otherwise they can double ding you at the border as you can't prove you're now bringing it back in following a repair. Repair rates on top brands are usually around 2%, but it must be considered.

Also make sure it's assembled in North America then you're covered from additional levies under NAFTA. Panasonic for example assembles most of its televisions for the North American market in Mexico even though most of the parts are manufactured in Japan.

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

I love that VT60! @dobyblue

I ended up with a (Demo)UT50 that I got Calibrated, and I'm very content with it.., but I really wanted that VT, of which there were none available at the time.Smiley Frustrated

With the new administration in the US, I'm apprehensive about what will become of NAFTA in the near future.

I have some friends that live near the border, and in my buddy's case he has vision issues, and needed a big set, he did get it in the US and saved quite a bit, lucky for him he has a pick-up to be able to take it back for servicing.

You brought up a good point that most US shoppers neglect, registration of the S/N at the border, is paramount to protect your savings and investment.