Pioneer
0 Kudos

Samsung Randomly Cycling On and Off

Purchased a 60" Samsung Smart TV about 3 years ago. In the last month or so the TV randomly switches on and off. Somedays happens all day long and somedays doesn't happen at all. I've read that it may be due to cheap capacitor(s). Two questions. Has anyone else had this issue or heard about it? Is this an issue that GeekSquad can help me with? Any and all assistance greatly appreciated😎
Legendary Oracle

Re: Samsung Randomly Cycling On and Off

Hi @Jachro , Welcome to the Best Buy Community Plug-in forum Smiley Happy

The problem you are experiencing could be due to a few potential issues, not just a matter of leaky capacitors in the power supply. (which can happen to even an expensive capacitor)

Can you provide us with a bit more information, to allow some of us to diagnose the issue?

We need to know the model of your TV? Any peripheral equipment that it's connected to? Last time a firmware update was performed (or which firmware is being used at the moment)? 

Double check the integrity of any HDMI cable connections, to ensure they are properly plugged in, do not remove an HDMI or USB cable while the unit is still powered on.

If you purchased the TV with Geek Squad Protection service plan, fear not, your TV is covered.

Pioneer

The model number is UN60F6300AFXZC. I am using Bell Fibe with Wi-Fi, a Panasonic blu-ray player and a Samsung sound bar. I am technically challenged so pretty much anything else you asked is above and beyond my capabilities. 🙁
Legendary Epic Genius
0 Kudos

When you say your TV randomly switches on and off, do you mean resetting?

That is, the TV is on and sometimes in the middle of watching, the TV will turn off and then back on.

As opposed to the TV is on and it just turns off.  Then sometimes the TV is off and it just turns on?

If it is the former, it could be a firmware or signal issue.

If it is the latter, I would look around to see if there aren't kids in your neighbourhood giggling outside your window.

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

I located a bit of information that may help.

Follow the instructions provided on Samsung's support page.

I understand that you are somewhat technically challanged, however you may need to perform a needed firmware update after disconnecting the TV from power for at least 30 seconds.

This can easily be achieved by using your remote control, go to the TV's options menu by clicking the “menu” button on your remote control. Then down arrow on the remote to go to the “Support” tab, and select the “Software Update” option. If the TV needs an update, it will update itself.

You can also disable the CEC Anynet+ feature ;

Press the Home button on your Samsung Smart Control, to access the Home Screen. Using the directional pad on your remote, navigate to and select Settings. Then select System. Select Expert Settings. Select Anytime+ (HDMI-CEC). Select Off.

CEC is Consumer Electronic Control, with this feature on, the TV will turn itself on or off if any HDMI unit such as a DVD is connected to the TV, if the DVD is turned on, the TV will turn itself on and go to the appropriate input for that device. This is why I asked you to double check the connections of the HDMI cables.

Geek Squad can provide a diagnostic service for a minimal fee to confirm if there's a defect with the TV or if there's another issue causing the problem.

If the problem persists after these suggestions, your TV may require servicing at the nearest Samsung Authorized service depot.

Pioneer
0 Kudos

Re: Sonic Boom
The TV does both. We will be watching and it will cycle off and on, sometimes several cycles and sometimes will stay off for a couple minutes. I have also gotten out of bed at all hours to find the TV is on. No kids in neighborhood... just us oldsters🙂

Re: Elico47
Thankyou for the information and instructions. I will try those fixes and let you know how it works out.
Pioneer
0 Kudos

So I followed the instructions above when I got through the software update section it said this function is not available. I did manage to get the Anytime+ Turned off but then the TV started cycling on and off again. When I tried to get back into the TV menu the TV would just turn off and then come back on a few minutes later. I surrender. I called the GeekSquad for diagnostic appointment. I will post the "fix" information for anyone else that may have this issue. Thank you for your help.👍🏻
Pioneer
0 Kudos

Well I certainly got the "fix"... $700 bucks for labour/installation of the power supply and main board. I've decided to buy a new bigger tv lol. ThanQ for the info folks.