Luminary
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Sony Playstation Pro 4k HDR + STR-DN1060 + Sony XBR43800D no 4k HDR

I managed to pick up the STR-DN1060 demo model from BestBuy tonight thinking that the HDCP 2,2 would allow my playstation Pro to pass thru the 4k HDR signal to my XBR43800D but no luck.

It was a long learning cycle as I slowly figure out all the menu items. I do get output from the Playstation through my receiver but only in 1080p input of which the receiver would upscale the signal back to 4k.

Connected the Playstation to the SAT/CATV HDCP 2.2 HDMI input and the output 4k to my 4k tv, doesn't give me 4k input or passthru.

Plugged the Playstation directly into my TV and it is 4k HDR.

Search the internet for clues and it seems that the newer STRDN1060 would pass the 4kHDR through. 

Any help would be appreciated. Will try the Sony forums tomorrow. 

Legendary Oracle

Re: Sony Playstation Pro 4k HDR + STR-DN1060 + Sony XBR43800D no 4k HDR

Hi @ralphael, congrats on the new receiver Smiley Happy How does it sound in comparison to your older model?

Since you already went through the video settings of the PS4, and I presume also with the 800D, the issue is in the receiver settings. I also presume you already performed a check to see if a much needed firmware update on the new receiver is required.

The STRDN1060 does indeed upscale Video to 4K and can also pass 4K through even in standby mode.

If the above links don't help, can you provide more information as to the video settings on the devices?

Luminary

Elico47 wrote:

Hi @ralphael, congrats on the new receiver Smiley Happy How does it sound in comparison to your older model?

Since you already went through the video settings of the PS4, and I presume also with the 800D, the issue is in the receiver settings. I also presume you already performed a check to see if a much needed firmware update on the new receiver is required.

The STRDN1060 does indeed upscale Video to 4K and can also pass 4K through even in standby mode.

If the above links don't help, can you provide more information as to the video settings on the devices?

@Elico47 I always appreciate your help in this department and thanks for searching for the links.

I have been searching the web and I think I'm NOT the only one that this doesn't work.  However the work around is to simply plug it straight into the tv and bring the sound back to the receiver via the optical, thus not a whole lot of people are going to cried about this one.

There are only two hdmi HDCP 2.2 ports; One in and one out.

Sony playstation pro is plugged into the HDMI HDCP 2.2 in and the HDCP 2.2 HDMI output is to the 4k tv.

The problem is the Sony Playstation Pro doesn't think the receiver is a 4k TV thus it only outputs 1080p; I cannot change this. I tried plugging directly to the TV and changing the resolution to 4k fixed output. Took the cable out and plugged it into the receiver. for a second it looked like it was going to work then the tv blinked and it went back to automatic at 1080p.

4k scaling works since the Sony Playstation Pro is outputing in 1080p, so the receiver scales it to 4k.

Pass thru, passes thru at 1080p because the Sony Playstation thinks it is connected to a 1080p tv.

I also tried turning the HDCP off so perhaps I can force the Playstation to go 4k. All menu options have been toggled and scrutinized. I could try a complete system reset and perhaps the default might recognize something.

I love tech when it works seamlessly but I really hate it when it doesn't. You would think that all 3 products being SONY that they would work together. 

Luminary

Alright final words. Feeding 4k through the receiver does not work. At least not for the playstation pro.  Playstation pro thinks it is a 1080p receiver.

However with the playstation pro connected to the Sony TV at HDMI port 2 I get 4k HDR and the Sony receiver at HDMI port 3 for 1080p, everything syncs itself automatically.

eg.

turn on the playstation by hitting the playstation button on the controller and the TV and receiver switches to the appropriate hdmi and audio input and output.

turn on the apple TV, everything switches over to input and output on the receiver.

The 5.1 surround sound sounds terrific at perfect volumes.

A total happpy camper.