Luminary
0 Kudos

WEBpage Incorrect power output information on STRDH550 Sony Receiver

[ Edited ]

I have been looking for a Sony Receiver for ages and I kept overlooking the STRDH550 model until I saw it on sale at **competitor** and subsequently in your own Flyer stating that the STRDH550 is 145 watts per channel = 5 x 145 = 725 watts; however on your webpage it says 450 watts. 

I did not notice this error until I added it to my order then I was shocked to see only 450 watts. I had to check the internet that this model was indeed 725 watts.

Anyways due to your web outage earlier, I went to your competitor website and found the same sony receiver at the same price of which I ordered from thme instead.

Legendary Oracle

Re: WEBpage Incorrect power output information on STRDH550 Sony Receiver

[ Edited ]

Hi @ralphael congrats on the new receiver, I'm sure you're enjoying it Smiley Happy

What speakers are you using with it? Have you noticed a difference from your previous unit?

Just as a point of intrest, the Sony STRDH550 is rated at 90wrms/ch (FTC rating 20-20Khz)

Being a 5.2 channel it would then make sense that the Marketing department from Sony, decided to sum the total power and show this as 450W. (total), which in all fairness to the consumer and the audio industry, is wrong. This is a 90W/ch receiver, with 5.2 channels plain and simple.

The Sony Marketing brochure then provides another rating of 145w/ch @1Khz , and then mistakenly multiplies it by 7, (5+2=7)  yet they show it as you noted ,with a whopping (5x145) 725 watts.Smiley LOL

There are 2 problems with this type of rating, first the big mistake of adding the pre-amp subwoofer output as powered channels, and the other, being a very common marketing ploy is the rating @1Khz,

The 1Khz rating is a problem because it represents the easiest frquency for the human ear to hear, based in the human vocal range, and the other issue, is that I listen to music, which is a variety of tones at different levels, not a monotonous tone at the same frequency and level.

The other problem with the "total" power rating is the units power consumption, which is 200w. So Marketing would dictate that this receiver is taking 200w. from the wall plate and "amplifying" it to 725 watts?  Has the Hydro company discovered this little gem?Smiley Wink

Luminary
0 Kudos

interesting on what you just said.

I haven't got my amp yet as it will be arriving Wednesday.  

So what you are saying is that 450 watts total is correct

and everybody on the internet got it wrong at 725 watts total? Even Best Buy Flyer has it rated at 145 watts/ch = 5x145=725 watts.

flyer.jpg

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ralphael wrote:

interesting on what you just said.

I haven't got my amp yet as it will be arriving Wednesday.  

So what you are saying is that 450 watts total is correct

and everybody on the internet got it wrong at 725 watts total? Even Best Buy Flyer has it rated at 145 watts/ch = 5x145=725 watts.

flyer.jpg

Yes, this is correct, no matter how you crunch those numbers, this is a 90w/ch receiver. It's a matter of understanding specifications and how they are derived.

as shown by Sony manual pdf:

" MULTI CHANNEL AV RECEIVER STR-DH750/STR-DH550
Specifications
POWER OUTPUT AND TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION: (USA model only) With 6 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20 – 20,000 Hz; rated 90 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.09% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output. Amplifier section Minimum RMS Output Power (*1): 90 W + 90 W (6 ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, THD 0.09%) Stereo Mode Output Power (*1): 105 W + 105 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1%) Surround Mode Output Power (*1)(*2): 145 W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.9%)
*1 Measured under the following conditions (Area: Power requirements): USA and Canadian models: 120 V AC, 60 Hz European and Australian model: 230 V AC, 50 Hz *2 Reference power output for front, center, surround, surround back (for STR-DH750 only) and front high (for STRDH750 only) speakers. Depending on the sound field settings and the source, there may be no sound output."

Do you see the difference between 90w 20Hz-20Khz and 145w 1Khz ?

If I offered you a choice between 3 amplifiers at same price

100 watts 4ohm

200 watts 2 ohm

400 watts 1 ohm

which amplifier would you pick? Why?

Luminary
0 Kudos

I have a perfectly good Sony STRDE897 right now at 100watts/ch at 8 ohms but with the nintendo switch, apple tv, mac, playstation pro 4k/hdr I needed more hdmi ports and I thought this might be a good expansion.

90 watts per channel is definitely disappointing.... will need to re-assess whether to keep the amp or not.

Thanks Ellco47

Legendary Oracle

I would agree that it would be difficult to outperform the features of your Sony STRDE897.Heart

If it's just a matter of HDMI switching, I might recommend an HDMI switcher to connect to all your HDMI components, and the output of the switcher to the TV monitor input. At this point you will want to use the TV's optical audio output to connect to the Sony receiver, so as to allow digital audio from the TV sources and ease og operation.

It's also easy enough to turn your Sony into a "smart" receiver, to allow internet radio and stream audio from smart devices( cel phone, tablet, Computer) to wireless speakers, or to your existing system, and even send audio from the receiver to wireless speakers.

The magic here is your "Line in/Line out", from the DAT, VCR inputs/OutputsSmiley Wink, which can be connected to the likes of a Sonos Connect, Polk Audio P1, or Denon's Heos Link.

If you take a look at all new receivers, you might note a number of fewer analogue inputs, and in most cases no line out.Smiley Sad

When it comes to power in relation to volume levels, a difference of 10 watts would not be noticeable, because to gain a difference of 3dB, which is where you can actually say, I think it's a little bit louder, you need to double the power used, from 100W/ch. to 200W/ch. If you want to hear it twice as loud, you need to multiply the power by a factor of 10, so from a 100W/Ch. to 1000W/ch.Smiley Surprised

However, if you change brands it would more than likely be noticed in different sound quality(detail, imaging, soundstage) and tonality, this depends a lot on matching the amplifier to the speakers, the most important part of your system.Smiley Wink

I hope I didn't throw a monkey wrench in your train of thought, but I figured you might make use of the above options.

BTW to all readers, the above suggestions will work with most all "legacy" audio systems that don't have video switching capacity, yet incorporate a "Tape/VCR" switch.

Highlighted
Luminary
0 Kudos

good work Ellco47 on throwing in the wrench :-P 

I'll have to see how this all fits together and how I feel once I get the receiver.

Thanks again...