Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Re: Which "unobtainable" audio/ video gear do you desire most

Now that's a very impressive set up of fine audio gear @dobyblue . Nice choice in music too, I'm sure it sounded awesome especially with that caliber of recording.

I'd love to get my hands on some of the recordings from Bernie Grundman, I recall hearing the name long ago, but I've never been exposed to those recordings yet. I can see that they are available on-line and certainly sparks my intrest.

The Kronos vaguely reminds me of the Oracle turntable line, and interestingly both are based in Quebec.

Highlighted
Luminary

It took me four days to acquire most of the needed pieces for the upgrade; 14 gauge speaker wires, banana plugs, wire covers, used audio rack, two iKea night stands for the 301. Waiting for subwoofer delivery today. The time spent was deciding how I was to approach the wires like 100 feet devided into 3x11 feet and the remainder into 33 feet each for the back speakers. Banana Plugs of course instead of soldering the ends. Had to decide how to place the large 301 back speakers, finally decided on an ikea rollable night stand. The audio rack was a nice find and fits my decor perfectly. Found smaller tri-dolly wheels from Home-depot to fit the three legs so I can move the audio rack around. Clean out the TV stand as I was tired of the clutter.

So this is it.... The new entertainment system, a total revamp.  Very serendipitous 

newbose.jpg

The verdict?

Very nice! Now I can hear what I have been missing all these years, the midrange :-P Seriously it is kind of weird... Remember I have been listening to the acoustimass for over 20 years :-P

I think the subwoofer will fit in nicely as you can see the spot left empty for it. I am concerned though because the bass port and sound is redirecting from the rear of the 601, which may have an effect on my neighbours in the middle of the night. I'll post up if I get evicted.

So the speakers were $500 total for both the 601 and 301. The nightstands were $50 each; although I could have gone with some ikea plant stands that would have lifted the back speakers higher, plus about $50 worth of wires + banana plugs ($40 unbelievable). So about $700 for this adventure.

Am I happier?

yeah... totally, but it will take a lot of eating ramen noodles this month to make up for the deficit Smiley Sad

Would I have been just as happy with my old setup?

Yeah totally! I wouldn't have known what I was missing.

Happiness is ignorance. 

Would I go back?

The problem, isn't so much the missing audio range because it is there just not as clear and loud, but the fact that you do have to turn everything louder just to hear things volume 22 vs 14. The VHS-10 and the 161 do make up for the acostimass deficiencies which was the reason that I bought them at **competitor** prices ($100 and $60 respectively). 

I always love the acoustimass speaker size as they can tuck away on a shelf with nobody the wiser. Add in a small subwoofer, the acoustimass is the perfect apartment speaker system. If I moved into a 200 square foot home, I'll have my tv and acoustimass speakers mounted on the walls.

Thanks

So thanks to @Elico47 for his diligence in repeatedly mentioning my speaker deficiencies and to a little serendipity I got speakers that I never knew that I needed. Now I think I need to buy a house for these speakers.

Luminary
0 Kudos

So I spent the evening watching netflix with my new subwoofer and new audio system and was blown away Smiley Happy

Gone is the brashness that I always thought was just the way it is. The room is filled with soft wall to wall sound, even the back speaker are solid and clear. With the acoustimass speakers the back speakers always sound like a radio speaker, crackling and brassy, and I thought that was normal. 

When watching a movie, I don't have the volume turned up very high either. Each speaker is distinct and clear with their own sound. I guess the best way to describe it is simply to say it is like being in the theatre.  

The acoustimass was never this soft, warm and clear. 

Would I go back to my acoustimass? no... never.... 

Luminary
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am a very serendipitous person, like when Elico47 said "there's only one model Bose that I liked, that was the Bose 601", I checked on Craigs and there they were, the 601s and the 301s with my name on it. 

The problem was just a week prior, I had decided that I would buy the Bose desk stands, that I had been covetting for years. Normally I would keep all my Best Buy packing for up to a month, however I love the desk stands so much that I threw away the packing almost immediately thinking that I would be keeping my acoustimass speakers for another 20 years.

So after being peer-pressured into buying the 601/301 but feeling very serendipitous, I felt that there was a kink in this serendipity since I am now, out of pocket for $85.  I had no idea what to do with the now extraneous stands. I could use the Bose cubes in my bedroom but I already have a stereo bar there just to play music on a timer just before I fall asleep.  Worse case was that I could sell them for half price on craigs.

While I was returning the Wemos (see Smart Home Control & Automation on my Wemos post), I jokingly ask the Best Buy associate whether I could return a product with no packaging fully expecting either a "Absolutly NOT" or the other alternative "you will be charge a 90% restocking fee", however I was shock to hear the answer "Yes" provided you have the receipt and the return is within the allotted 30 day period.

So I zipped-locked my Bose Desk stands and got my money back today which completes the serendipitous story of getting the 601s. I guess it was meant to be...

Last note. Bought a laptop support tray from **furniture retailer** yesterday and this is how I'm using it.

laptop.jpgspeakers.jpg

Luminary
0 Kudos

First world problems.... thoughts on these plant stands? which to keep? the bedrooms night stand (lower in profile) or the plant stands? (higher and looks like speaker stands).

newstands.jpg

Legendary Oracle
0 Kudos

Getting this string back on track, I've been thinking about the equipment @dobyblue mentioned, and the turntable took me back to the hay days of audio.

As high end as the Kronos and Oracle tables are, I think that they deserve a top of the line tone arm, and to date, I can't find anything that would better the old Decca International tone arm. Decca International tone armDecca International tone armWhat we have here, is a damped, jeweled (ruby), unipivot with magnetic suspension and magnetic anti-skating, zero tracking error.  yep they cheaped out on the plastic headshell from Connoisseur turntables, but the added a bubble to ensure proper angle.

I came very close to acquiring a used tone-arm, but the owner didn't realize what he had, so it was not packed properly, which caused the jewel to break off Smiley Sad

Now this would be complete ensemble with a Decca Gold (or Super Gold)phono cartridge, which uses a moving iron, instead of moving magnet, in a system called "positive scanning", note that the cartridge does not use a cantilever, like conventional cartridges.Decca-london-gold

It's a veritable shame that Decca Special Products, no longer makes fine audio equipment like this, ever since the inception of digital audio. However there are still people around that revive this equipment, for those of us that demand the best.., or those like myself, that are trying to re-live the old days of analogue music.

Yet, I do hold some faint hope for a resurgence of fine equipment such as this.