Visitor
Question53075

Are LG TVs reliable both LCD

Are LG TVs reliable both LCD
Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
Expert (TV)
3M_3TI8

Re: Are LG TVs reliable both LCD

Not as reliable as Samsung or Panasonic. LG has always offered a better price point, but that involves cutting manufacturers costs, therefore using less expensive parts. LG = Life's Good   Low Grade.

Contributor
bigdoubledee

Re: Are LG TVs reliable both LCD

Very untrue3M. All the major brands have a repair rate of  around 2 to 3 %, this includes, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sharp.

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
Expert (TV)
3M_3TI8

Re: Are LG TV's reliable both LCD

...All the major brands have a repair rate of  around 2 to 3 %.

That figure was being thrown around years ago. It was based on what the manufacturers were actually willing to repair, because all repairs are NOT warranted. That figure also did not include the number of TV's that were completely unrepairable or too costly to fix and scrapped.

LCD's in particular are costly to manufacture due to the high failure rate of the panels during the assembly process.The panels are assembled in layers, with the active matrix layer, the one containing the thin film transistors being the culprit. The reason LCD prices have dropped over the last year is because some improvements have been made to this part of the manufacturers process.

All of these manufacturers are publicly traded companies and have to answer to the shareholders. If flat panels were to last as long as the old CRT/tube sets, say 20 years, the shareholders will not make money. Therefore these sets are manufactured with "planned obsolescence" in mind. They are mass produced to an agreed upon mil spec standard that the parts should last at least one year. Line up 5 parts and see which one saves you the most money and will get you through the year. Save a dollar on that part, times one million sets, and the manufacturer has just saved a million bucks! Repeat this process with all of the parts, then assemble the TV.

Incidentally, the number one reason that FutureShop writes off TV's is that they are too costly to repair, especially if it involves issues with the TV's panel/screen. This part alone can cost double the price of the TV itself: dealer cost on a 42" 1080p screen is $1300, a 50" 1080p screen is $2500! This is where the optional Service Plans will save your behind. The more common replaceable parts, such as the electrolytic capacitors, which fail regularly due to the electrolytic fluids drying out or leaking, will cost you at least $250 to repair.

As far as reliability: I've been involved in the electronics industry for over 25 years and have seen a lot of changes. I am not affiliated with any particular company, but in my experience Samsung and Panasonic have proven to be the most reliable. LG is at the bottom of the brand name pile, and the no name stuff...simply IS a pile!

Visitor
tdmr

Do not listen to 3M. L.G. will sell about 28 million t.v's this year. Do you think they could keep selling their products if they were "low grade". The last couple of years they have won many CES awards in both plasma and lcd display catagories. I personally own three mid-level L.G. lcds and have had zero problems. I have two friends who were talked into panasonic plasma's and are not impressed with their raising blak levels or dead pixels. In reality all t.v.'s(samsung,sony etc.)have problems. There is no perfect brand, they are all equal(comparing set's at the same price piont!)

One last thing please read some reviews online (CNET,AVS etc) or in print(Sound&vision,Hometheater) before you make a decision base on "expert" opinions on this forum. I read alot of bad advice which seems very biased on here.

Retired Blogger
Essi

Just pointing out that 3M makes some valid points about the LCD manufacturing process and the improvements, economies of scale, PLC... etc.; however, no actual reason as the why LG in particular would be considered inferior to competing names like Samsung, Sharp.. etc.

I'm unbiased and own a Samsung LCD, but I have several friends who own LGs who have experienced no problems whatsoever. I realize it's a small sample size, but a lemon is a lemon and when you buy one lemon, you and the 10 people you tell that the brand is inferior will believe every set is of that quality.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.