TV

Visitor
luongo321

Sony LCD Problem: TV Screen Blinking Black

[ Edited ]

Hey,

I just picked up a Sony Bravia KDL-32L5000 this Christmas from Futureshop.

I was watching it today and it the entire screen blinked completely black at least four times in a row ( each blink was a second or two apart). I'm pretty sure there was still sound. I watched it for about another hour and it hasn't happened again, but I'm thinking it could still be a problem that starts occurring more regularly and possibly getting worse and breaking. I have never had this happen to any tv before this.

Note: There is no problem with any tv cables hooked up to it. The tv was definitely the source of the blinking.

Is this a major problem? I will return it if it is since I think I have 30 days to return it from the date of purchase. I ordered it online and the closest futureshop is about 3 hours away so I thought I'd get some input from the internet before I have to make a 6 hour trip and swap it for a Samsung.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Message Edited by luongo321 on 01-06-2010 07:50 PM
Message Edited by luongo321 on 01-06-2010 07:50 PM
Exalted Expert
Exalted Expert
Expert (TV)
hb

Re: Sony LCD Problem: TV Screen Blinking Black

I'd give it another solid week of viewing, to see if this happens again. I assume you were watching cable TV when this happened - and if so there is a good probability it was due to a problem with the cable feed and not the TV itself.
Visitor
luongo321

Yup, it was cable tv. Do LCD's respond differently to cable feed cuts then plasmas? Our panasonic plasma has never done anything like this even when the cable signal is poor. We also have another lcd that's never done that either. I'm just trying to narrow down possible reasons.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely watch it closely over the next few days.

Exalted Expert
Exalted Expert
Expert (TV)
hb

These other TV's may never have done something like this before... but of course this new TV might not have either if you hadn't been watching at the exact moment this glitch on the cable system (if that is what it was) occurred. Anyway... I think one single small short incident like this is insufficient reason to suspect this TV has a problem. Now if it happens more than once... that's a different story.

Visitor
luongo321

[ Edited ]
I forgot to mention in my original post that I had the Sony TV Menu open at the time this happened. The entire screen went black, including the Sony TV menu. The sony tv menu is independent of my cable tv source so if it was the cable tv losing signal then the Sony TV menu would still be showing over top of it. This was not the case. The entire screen blinked black.
Message Edited by luongo321 on 01-07-2010 02:35 PM
Contributor
Jack_Rabbit

I would call Sony and see what they have to say.  You may also want to check the manual.  If you remember the steps you did to create the problem, see if the problem re-occurs.  If it doesn't, maybe just get them to exchange it at the store.

Recognized Expert
Kayne314

I would still suspect the cable as being the source of the problem, not the TV. If your cable company was updating something and the screen went blank, the TV could have been momentarily searching for a signal which could have inturrupted the on screen menu display. Wait and see if your TV has the same problem again before instigating a return.

Then again, you don't want to wait for your 30 day return period to expire. Just be aware there may be nothing wrong with your TV, before you bring it back.

If a post was useful and/or informative, then please give a Kudos by hitting the Star.
If a reply answered your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.
If at all possible, have a great day!

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.