TV

Visitor
gregconger1515
Accepted Solution

Viewing distance for 3d tv

we have purchased a Panasonic Viera GT 65 inch plasma that is to be delivered.  The distance from the couch to the wall is approximately 15 feet.  I have now read that the viewing range for 3d glasses is 10 feet or so.

With this set up will I be able to use the 3d features??

Trusted Expert / Community Ambassador
Atomic

Re: Viewing distance for 3d tv

Online viewing distance calculators will tell you that your ideal viewing distance is between 7-24 ft for that size of screen.

For 3D, YMMV and a lot of it has to do with user preference, but 13-15 ft is ideal, so you should be fine.

I don't know where you read that the 3D viewing distance is 10 ft.  That certainly depends on the screen size, and not the 3D technology.

Visitor
gregconger1515

Thanks for the response.  I was looking at the Panasonic Canada 3D eyewear specifications on their website.  Maybe I am misunderstanding but they have..Viewing Range = 3D eyewear transmitter within 3.2 m.

Does this change depending on the size of the TV

Recognized Expert
Expert (TV)
sonimax

What Panasonic is saying is that the transmitter should works fine if you're seating about 10 feet from the TV. It's has nothing to do with the correct distance for viewing a 65 inches picture. If you want to be sure to get all the resolution that a 1080p picture on a 65 inches tv is producing, you should be seating at a max of 8,5 ft. From 15 feet, you're only get about 720p of visible resolution.

Trust your senses, not the numbers...

Over 6,000 post
In the "forum français".
Visitor
gregconger1515

A 65 inch screen seems awfully large to view at 8 feet away, as mentioned I will use my senses.

So in theory there is a chance that the 3d will be limited or not work at the 15 feet distance from couch to TV?!?

Atomic

Your 3D should work fine from 15 ft.

If you're not sure, why not try it at the store before you buy it?  You can bring your own 3D glasses and stand 15 ft away to see if it suits your needs.

7-8 ft. is what's recommended for some enthusiasts who want a THX-level experience.  Also, the further you are away, the less discernable the details are in the picture, so you may not appreciate the fact that you have a 1080p set when you're sitting 20 ft. away from the TV.:smileywink:

Still, ultimately it is your experience.  Do what you feel comfortable, but 15 ft should be fine for your TV.

Recognized Expert
Expert (TV)
sonimax

gregconger1515 wrote:

A 65 inch screen seems awfully large to view at 8 feet away, as mentioned I will use my senses.

And what would you say of watching a 32 inches from 8 feet?

Trust your senses, not the numbers...

Over 6,000 post
In the "forum français".
Expert (TV)
3M_3TI8

gregconger1515 wrote:

So in theory there is a chance that the 3d will be limited or not work at the 15 feet distance from couch to TV?!?

Yes. There is a possibility that the 3D may not function correctly at 15 feet, as per Panasonic's info. This is not dependant upon screen size, the limitations are due to the distance between the transmitter in the TV and the glasses.

Visitor
beachpanther

I have a 64" Samsung 3D plasma and would recommend that you might want to consider sitting closer than you normally would (for 2D content ) when watching 3D content for a more immersive 3D experience....

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.