3M_3TI8

Re: why do plazma tv's have 600hz?

The more it hertz, the less it blurs!
Exalted Expert
Expert (TV)
Snapshot

What is 480 Hz sub-field drive?
A standard video signal is actually a series of still images, flashed on screen so quickly that we believe we are watching a moving image. The typical frame rate used in North America is 60 frames per second (60Hz) meaning that a TV would display 60 individual still images every second. Sub-field drive is the method used to flash the individual image elements (dots) on a plasma panel. For each frame displayed on the TV the Sub-field drive flashes the dots 8 times or more, meaning that the dots are flashing 480 times per second (480Hz) or more. (Example: 60 frames per second x 8 sub-fields = 480 flashes per second).

600Hz Sub-field drive - 1,080 line moving picture resolution
600Hz technology lets you view superb full-HD motion and still images with 1,080 lines of resolution. This makes for even greater clarity with motion images. This technology converts the motion in each scene at the sub-field level. This optimizes the data to display fast-action scenes in full-HD resolution.

(from Panasonics' site)

Basically

8 subfields per frame x 60 frames per second = 480 subfields per second = 480Hz

10 subfields per frame x 60 frames per second = 600 subfields per second = 600Hz

(from different sites)

Recognized Expert
cengel

having a 600hz subfield drive is supposed to increase the image quality on the screen. it also acts as a leg up on LCDs that are advertising the fact that they are 120hz or 240hz panels. 600hz HAS to be better than 240hz, right?

the reality is that plasmas running a 480hz subfield drive are better suited to show action and fast movement than an LCD panel at 240hz.

Yeah
Recognized Expert
Expert (TV)
sonimax

3M_3TI8 wrote:
The more it hertz, the less it blurs!

The number of Hz has no effect on blur, it's the different technology at work that matters.

Even plasma with a 600 Hz tag still show 60 frames by second. This big number is not the refresh rate of the screen but the way the pixels are driven on a plasma display.

Trust your senses, not the numbers...

Over 6,000 post
In the "forum français".
Emerging Expert
SOUND_DYNAMICS

[ Edited ]

Plasmas were already so good with the newer models of 480hz plasmas, that I really don't think the 600hz adds to anything other than on paper. SOME 600hz plasmas are capable of producing 1080 lines of motion resolultion compared to close to 900 lines on most 480hz models, a difference IMPOSSIBLE to notice by eye, and many 600hz models produce around 900 lines of motion resolution just like the 480hz models. And don't forget with these numbers we are talking about FAST motion. Can anyone on earth tell the difference between close to 900 lines and 1080 lines during FAST motion only? I highly doubt it! It's not exactly easy to indentify differences in detail when things are whipping around the screen super fast, unless your comparing somehting really bad, like an older 60hz LCD.

Imo, the 600hz is just a different technology with no significant advantage to it over 480hz other than looking good on paper in order to compete with the LCD numbers game of 120hz, 240hz etc.

Kind of off topic here, but I was talking to a friend who is looking to buy a tv and I recommended a plasma. He is CONVINCED lcds are better just because they sell more and are usually more expensive. He said "If plasmas are so good why do I see them on sale all the time for cheap". So he is convinced by the marketing and the fact more people have lcds and is willing to pay more money for an overall inferior product.

Message Edited by SOUND_DYNAMICS on 09-22-2009 10:37 AM
Recognized Expert
Expert (TV)
sonimax

I should change my signature:

Trust your senses, not the $$$:smileyhappy:

Over 6,000 post
In the "forum français".
Recognized Expert
Expert (TV)
sonimax

If Panasonic wanted to cause some confusion in the marketplace with these numbers, they certainly succeed.:smileymad:

Over 6,000 post
In the "forum français".
Emerging Expert
Expert (TV)
dobyblue

Panasonic were only responding to the confusion that LCD makers were causing in the market, by suggesting that 120Hz was somehow a superior set ignoring that fact that even at 48Hz a plasma can outshine an LCD in key areas of picture quality, like motion resolution and pixel response time.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.