Tech Blog

11 Thoughts On Extreme Makeover: Twitter Edition

by Blogger ‎12-09-2011 06:41 AM - edited ‎12-09-2011 06:41 AM

Wouldnt you know it. Just as I was hailing Tweetdeck as my Twitter app of choice, the powers that be at Twitter go and change everything.  The desktop app, website and mobile app have all gone through an Extreme Makeover and, like most web junkies, my initial gut reaction is "I don't like change."

New twitter appTwitter app for iPhone:

Still slow, it takes full 7 seconds to start up on my iPhone 4.

Uses less real estate of the screen, everything is pinched in.  The fonts are bigger, so there's less information on screen.

More clicks to switch between accounts. Previously was just a left swipe to get to main accountscreen, now you have to do 3 clicks or swipes to get there.

More emphasis on "real" name rather than Twitter handles.  That's odd since Twitter is about the @handle rather than the real name. It's now harder to get to know handles for reference in the future.

Verdict? I'm going through my app archives and reinstalling Hootsuite, Twitteriffic and other mobile Twitter apps to look for a replacement.

Twitter app for Desktop

As with the Twitter mobile app, there seems to be less respect for screen real estate.  While I could have 5 columns on the Air app, I can only get three on screen with the new app.

I do like the links appearing in blue.

The window pop up for composing tweets isnt as convenient. 

The default to Twitter's shortener (instead of bit.ly or is.gd) makes retweeting more difficult.

The customize settings are hidden instead of being in one big pop up menu. You can now manage settings for each column instead of the whole experience.

The user experience doesn't seem as fast. It's taking me more clicks to get where I need to go and do what I need to accomplish.

Verdict? I'm not deleting my original Air version of Tweetdeck and crossing my fingers it doesn't magically evaporate one day.

Twitter website

Verdict?  I don't use the website, so I won't notice the changes.  Those who have to access Twitter on computers where desktop apps can't be installed (*cough* work *cough*) don't really have a choice.

Comments
by Blogger on ‎12-09-2011 08:34 AM

Gruber at Daring Fireball has a very detailed breakdown of what's new and why it's broken.  Many of the points I note above in clearer detail.

http://daringfireball.net/2011/12/new_twitter

I have a feeling many will be escaping the official accounts in favour of third party experiences.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.