Tech Blog

A Refrigerator that Needs a Smile to Open

by Blogger on ‎10-15-2012 11:00 AM - last edited on ‎12-12-2012 11:02 AM by Administrator

refridgerator_happiness counter

It’s always important to appreciate the little things in life that make you happy. A group of scientist from the University of Tokyo believes that opening your refrigerator to grab something to eat or drink is a simple task that can make you smile without even thinking about it. Which is why they took it a step further by inventing the Happiness Counter device that is attached to your refrigerator to encourage smiling as well as maintaining a positive mind frame. Essentially, when you are heading to the refrigerator to grab a beer, if you are not smiling, the door will not open. The happiness counter will encourage you too smile (even if it’s a fake smile) before the door can be opened.

Screen Shot 2012-10-15 at 10.57.41 AM.pngThe Happiness Counter uses a Sony CyberShot point and shoot digital camera that also includes a smile recognition function. This feature will automatically shoot photos of people who are smiling in the scene. The LCD screen of the Sony CyberShot Camera includes a light sensor. So, when you are in front of the refrigerator and smiling, the smile recognition feature will detect your grin and then the LED screens will present a shape of a happy face to show it’s approval. But if you are frowning, expect to see an unhappy face show up, then it’s up to you to turn that frown into a smile.

Screen Shot 2012-10-15 at 10.58.01 AM.pngA spokesperson told DigitalTrends.com, “we feel that the happiness counter will naturally encourage the act of smiling in the multitude of daily frustrations, thus enhancing a positive mood and the communication of people.

HappinessCounter: Smile-Encouraging Appliance to Increase Positive Mood from rkmtlab on Vimeo.

Refrigerators make me feel happy because it takes care of my favorite food products. So, I know that I’m smiling when I walk over to my fridge. 

If you are looking for a new refrigerator to help you stay happy, check out these options:

SKU: 10161987

Looking resplendent in a sleek, stainless steel finish, the GE Profile PSRS6PGZSS Side By Side Refrigerator offers a huge capacity, side-by-side format and advanced cooling technology. 36" wide, boasting 25.6 cubic feet of storage and a LightTouch Water Dispenser, this fridge lends a dash of style to any kitchen.

SKU: 10211026

The Samsung RF221NCTASR is 30" wide and 66" tall, so it'll fit nicely into any standard fridge space, but it features a huge 22 cu. ft. capacity so you can store more food. It's certified ENERGY STAR Tier 2 so it'll help reduce your energy bills, and the four split shelves give you the versatility to adjust the height to accommodate larger food items.

SKU: 10158680

The French door Frigidaire FGHN2844LF refrigerator offers a big 27.8 cubic feet of storage with a variety of great organizational compartments and features. The SpaceWise organization system comes complete with the Store-More full width drawer, gallon-size door bins and more. This model comes complete with PureSource Ultra Water and Ice filtration, Spill Safe drawers, and designer lighting.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.