Tech Blog

Announcements

Best Buy and Future Shop are consolidating as Best Buy. This means the products, services, and features you have come to expect from Future Shop and FutureShop.ca will now be available at Best Buy and BestBuy.ca. We have plans to invest up to $200 million to build a leading multi-channel customer experience on the Best Buy brand.

Visit futureshop.ca for more details & click here to learn more about what this means for the Tech Yeah Community.

Have a question about technology? Join the Best Buy Plug-in Community to have it answered!

A Refrigerator that Needs a Smile to Open

by Blogger on ‎10-15-2012 11:00 AM - last edited on ‎12-12-2012 11:02 AM by Retired Administrator

refridgerator_happiness counter

It’s always important to appreciate the little things in life that make you happy. A group of scientist from the University of Tokyo believes that opening your refrigerator to grab something to eat or drink is a simple task that can make you smile without even thinking about it. Which is why they took it a step further by inventing the Happiness Counter device that is attached to your refrigerator to encourage smiling as well as maintaining a positive mind frame. Essentially, when you are heading to the refrigerator to grab a beer, if you are not smiling, the door will not open. The happiness counter will encourage you too smile (even if it’s a fake smile) before the door can be opened.

Screen Shot 2012-10-15 at 10.57.41 AM.pngThe Happiness Counter uses a Sony CyberShot point and shoot digital camera that also includes a smile recognition function. This feature will automatically shoot photos of people who are smiling in the scene. The LCD screen of the Sony CyberShot Camera includes a light sensor. So, when you are in front of the refrigerator and smiling, the smile recognition feature will detect your grin and then the LED screens will present a shape of a happy face to show it’s approval. But if you are frowning, expect to see an unhappy face show up, then it’s up to you to turn that frown into a smile.

Screen Shot 2012-10-15 at 10.58.01 AM.pngA spokesperson told DigitalTrends.com, “we feel that the happiness counter will naturally encourage the act of smiling in the multitude of daily frustrations, thus enhancing a positive mood and the communication of people.

HappinessCounter: Smile-Encouraging Appliance to Increase Positive Mood from rkmtlab on Vimeo.

Refrigerators make me feel happy because it takes care of my favorite food products. So, I know that I’m smiling when I walk over to my fridge. 

If you are looking for a new refrigerator to help you stay happy, check out these options:

SKU: 10161987

Looking resplendent in a sleek, stainless steel finish, the GE Profile PSRS6PGZSS Side By Side Refrigerator offers a huge capacity, side-by-side format and advanced cooling technology. 36" wide, boasting 25.6 cubic feet of storage and a LightTouch Water Dispenser, this fridge lends a dash of style to any kitchen.

SKU: 10211026

The Samsung RF221NCTASR is 30" wide and 66" tall, so it'll fit nicely into any standard fridge space, but it features a huge 22 cu. ft. capacity so you can store more food. It's certified ENERGY STAR Tier 2 so it'll help reduce your energy bills, and the four split shelves give you the versatility to adjust the height to accommodate larger food items.

SKU: 10158680

The French door Frigidaire FGHN2844LF refrigerator offers a big 27.8 cubic feet of storage with a variety of great organizational compartments and features. The SpaceWise organization system comes complete with the Store-More full width drawer, gallon-size door bins and more. This model comes complete with PureSource Ultra Water and Ice filtration, Spill Safe drawers, and designer lighting.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.