Tech Blog

A Sneak Peek at Fable: The Journey

by Blogger ‎10-04-2012 09:11 AM - edited ‎10-25-2012 07:44 PM

8AGFg.jpeg

Ever since the Kinect was released I always hoped for a more substantial motion-control game to be released, something fun, accurate and more expansive.  It seemed my wish came true once Lionhead Studios started working on their next instalment in the Fable series, Fable: The Journey.  For the first time, you can immerse yourself in a first-person motion-control experience while embarking on an adventure of a lifetime.

No matter how novel the idea, it's also a big risk for Lionhead Studios.  With the game on-rails, exploration will be more controlled than usual; another issue has to do with the motion control quality and how well the camera will respond to movements. Even so, it seems like a risk worth taking, and has the potential of being one of the biggest, and most impressive, releases on the Kinect.  

While I haven't had a chance to try out Fable: The Journey for myself it seems like an engaging, albeit slow, journey.  As you progress, you gain the ability to cast spells like Push (thrust your left arm forward to fling objects and enemies), Bolt (thrust forward your right arm to fire neon blue missiles), After-touch (redirect Bolts in mid-air), and a shield which deflects attacks when you raise a hand to your chest.  The pace begins to pick up at that point, and since the Kinect can recognize multiple inputs at once, combat scenarios can be layered and linked for some cool combos. And to really seal the deal, you can even do this while sitting down. 

That combined with the game's involving story element makes this far more notable than what you'd expect.  While Fable: The Journey doesn't seem to be an incredibly long game, it's certainly more substantial than any Kinect game we've seen to date, and without all those gimmicky mini-games we're so used to seeing on the peripheral.  That's a step in the right direction, and one I'm hoping many more developers will attempt to challenge.  

The only problem that still remains for the game is the on-rails system.  As mentioned, something like this can really control and water down the experience, no matter how engaging it may be.  Whether Lionhead did that in order to omit any nasty bugs is up for debate, and it's a cautious decision at that, but here's hoping that developers will, at one point, find the courage to offer an open adventure with integrated motion controls.  It's a lot to ask for, I know, but if developers like Lionhead have already taken this big of a leap, there's sure to be much more potential to this technology.  

Fable: The Journey will be released October 9 on the Microsoft Kinect.  If you're interested in this game, you can check it out at Future Shop!

SKU: 10172162

You are the controller and the hero. Powered exclusively by Kinect for Xbox 360, Fable: The Journey is a whole new way to experience the deep storyline, heart-pounding action and picturesque world of Albion that fans have come to know and love about the Fable franchise.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.