Tech Blog

Adobe Photoshop Express: Easy online photo sharing and editing

by Retired Blogger on ‎05-25-2009 10:14 AM - last edited on ‎04-30-2012 06:00 PM by Moderator

psexpress_lightroom-like.jpg

Adobe Photoshop is the de-facto standard bitmap-based image editing software for personal computers. Unfortunately, the full-blown retail version is much more complex (and expensive) than most mere mortals need for editing and managing their snapshots.

This is where Adobe Photoshop Express comes in. It's an entry-level online image editing and sharing package, that gives you 2GB of image storage for free. You can buy upgrade subscriptions if you need more space. To quote the source, Adobe Photoshop Express is:

"...the complete solution for managing, editing, storing, and sharing your photos online, with tutorials, inspiration and more. Photoshop.com is available from any web-enabled computer, compatible mobile phones, and directly from within Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 or Adobe Premiere Elements 7 software. Organize, tweak, create, e-mail, display, and store--all with Photoshop.com."

Rather than delve into a full-up review of the site, I'm going to highlight a few favourite features that I use regularly.

psexpress_features.jpgOnline Editing
This rocks. As you can see from the menu, there's a whole host of image editing features. Once you select an image, select the type of edit you'd like to do (Red Eye Correct, Sharpen, Tint, etc) you're given an interface that lets you adjust the type of edit. I'm adjusting the exposure in this image [below in the interface section]  - note the cool image preview/slider control under the main image...this gives you a preview of the edit when it's applied to your image.

psexpress_othersites.jpgAnother editing feature I've never used, but plan to check out, is the integration with other online image-sharing sites. Again, to quote from the FAQ:

"Q: How can I edit photos that I already have on sites like Facebook, Flickr, Photobucket or Picasa?
A: In Photoshop.com, click My Photos. In the left column below the links for your Library and Albums, you will find Other Sites. Use the Login links to log into Facebook, Flickr, Photobucket or Picasa. Once you set this up, the photos you have at those services will automatically appear in Photoshop.com. You can then use Photoshop.com services with them as easily as any other photo."

This sounds cool, so I will have to try it out, sometime :smileyhappy:

Online Image Storage & Sharing
Photoshop Express gives you 2GB free for your photos. Uploading is done through the built-in application or through a downloadable desktop (Adobe Air) uploader that supports drag-and-drop.

Once images are uploaded, they can then be shared in an online gallery. When you sign up for an account, you're given the URL for your gallery. In my case, it's BradGrier.Photoshop.com. When you share a gallery, photos in a particular album are available to anyone with access to that URL. Albums can be completely private, or public.

Where this is really neat, if you participate in online forums, write your own blog, or have a website and your online image storage space is limited, you can easily use yourPhotoshop Express account as another online storage site, and then simply link to your photos.

psexpress_edit_300.jpgAwesome Interface
The look and feel of the online application really works for me. If you've used Adobe Lightroom, the interface will seem somewhat familiar. Hitting the Full Screen button and working with images on a dark background makes sense for me as the focus is on the image, not on the background or the interface.

I could go on, but rather than do that...I hope I've whetted your appetite to check it out yourself. Please do, and let me know what you think. It does work for me and my needs, but how about you?  Do you use it (or something else)? If so why?

Message Edited by bgrier on 05-25-2009 05:46 PM
Message Edited by Julez on 07-29-2009 03:35 PM
Message Edited by ElizabethS on 09-10-2009 09:42 PM

Comments
by Blogger on ‎05-25-2009 01:29 PM

I tried early versions of it, but didn't really care for it, but I know it's a fantastic tool. I also recommend picnik.com and the products from Aviary. Online photo editing rocks.

BTW and thanks for stealing a topic from me ;-) 

by Retired Blogger on ‎05-25-2009 02:19 PM

@tris: Heh...I didn't mean to steal one...but methinks there are areas where we do overlap a bit :smileyhappy: I'm thinkin' the online photo space is big enough that we can share it without too much problem...it does rock!

I've not really tried Aviary..other than when it was in early beta. It seemed very complex and frankly confused me (not hard to do actually). That being said, I know people who swear by it. Also tried picnic and thought it cool, but didn't stick with it. Not sure why. Again, lots of people use both use it so it was likely me, not the applications.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.