Tech Blog

Angry Birds Space and Draw Something Make Headlines

by Blogger on ‎03-22-2012 02:24 PM - last edited on ‎03-23-2012 03:13 PM by Moderator

If there is any doubt that apps are the future, it was definitely erased this week.

iPAD

"The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold―the strongest iPad launch yet,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Customers are loving the incredible new features of iPad, including the stunning Retina display, and we can't wait to get it into the hands of even more customers around the world this Friday.” 

That's 3M iPads sold in a weekend, gang.  At at least $500 each,  that's no less than$1.5B in revenue.  In a weekend.

Stats show most of the people picking up the new iPad were first time tablet owners.  The numbers will get larger once the rest of us settle in to iPad envy and ditch our first edition for the Retina model.

drawsomething.jpgDRAW SOMETHING [free / 99c]

Draw Something is the #1 app in more than 80 countries around the world.  It recently knocked off Words With Friends from the top app charts in North America, and that caused Zynga to spend some of their recent IPO windfall on the acquisition.

As with Words with Friends, you can get a free version of the app that is ad supported, or you can pay 99c and

get it ad free. I love this way to test apps.  If the developers make the ads intrusive enough, we'll pay for the full version if we like the game.  If we don't like the game, we don't waste a buck.

I've been playing Draw Something with friends this week and while it's kinda fun, I'm not hooked.  It's an online game of Pictionary.  You get a list of 3 words worth increasing amounts of coins.  Easy, Medium, or Hard - your choice.  You draw a picture and then your friend has to guess what it is.  If they guess correctly, you get the coins.  Wrong, you both get nothing.  It's a mindless timewaster, where you're trying to string together a consecutive winning streak with your friend.  It's collaborative instead of competitive.

I'm not sold because I am playing on an iPhone.  Drawing on an iPhone with pudgy man-hands is not easy.  And I'm a terrible artist.

Get the free version to see what the fuss is about, it's a great way to test it out and see if it's worth the money for you.

birds.jpgANGRY BIRDS SPACE [99c iPhone / $2.99 iPad / $4.99 Mac]

This is the fourth versions of Angry Birds.  A simple game launching birds at pigs has not only been knocked off dozens of times in the App Store, but it's been sequeled 4 official times.  That's huge.

The latest edition puts the birds and pigs on moons, planets, asteroids, and more.  The slingshot method of launching the birds into the bigs is still in play, but now you have to deal with varying degrees of gravity and orbits when launching at the pigs.

It's a clever re-imagination of this, dare I say, classic. 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.