Tech Blog

Bethesda Announces Successful Launch of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

by Blogger on ‎11-18-2011 09:15 AM

1f0b71b9c90e5e66c9b7fbfc52b9383e-1.jpg

It's hard to deny the appeal behind Bethesda Game Studios' much-loved series The Elder Scrolls.  Since the series' inception back in 1994, Bethesda has been creating ambitious titles from the beginning.  Games like Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion paved the way to a new era in fantasy role-playing games and video games in general.  

With the recent release of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the series continues to shine.  Having grown to monumental heights, Skyrim has gone above and beyond what the experience intially meant, immersing us even further into its finely crafted fictional world.  

Considering all the big releases Skyrim had to contend with, the fantasy RPG has done exceptionally well in sales across North America.  Of course, that shouldn't be much of a surprise seeing as how devoted the fanbase is, but this success paves the way to even more possibilities in the future. 

I1Yj3.jpg

With 7 million launch units shipped for last Friday's release, more than 50% of the units were sold in the first two days alone. In all, parent company ZeniMax Media expects the game's launch shipments to generate about $450 million in sales. Online activity for Skyrim is also doing exceptionally well.  According Steam's statistics, in the first day over 280,000 players were playing Skyrim at the same time, far more than any other game, and apparently a new record.

“We are grateful for the fans’ response to Skyrim,” said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. “Todd Howard and his team at Bethesda Game Studios have crafted a very special game. Anticipation for Skyrim has surpassed any game in our company’s history, and we are pleased that sales and reviews have reflected the quality and hours of amazing gameplay it provides.”

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is available on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.  You can get your copy of this groundbreaking new addition to the series at Future Shop's product page.  

Comments
by mwashburn on ‎11-19-2011 05:57 PM

I'd say successful is an understatement.  On PC at least, its the best game I've ever played.  It's an absolute masterpiece.

by Retired Moderator on ‎11-19-2011 06:10 PM

I agree, amazing game.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.