Tech Blog

Blu-ray 3D Disc Playback Hits PS3 Next Week

by Blogger on ‎09-17-2010 10:48 AM - last edited on ‎04-22-2011 02:55 PM by Moderator

27023.jpgIt has just been revealed at the Tokyo Game Show Sony media briefing press conference that PlayStation 3 will support 3D Blu-ray 3D Disc playback starting September 21.  System software update 3.50 will allow PS3s to play back 3D content on Blu-ray discs, allowing you to watch movies in stunning stereoscopic 3D.

"We know that many consumers have purchased 3D TVs already and more of you will be purchasing them as the holidays approach – so we’re excited to offer this firmware update that makes all 38 million PS3s worldwide compatible with Blu-ray 3D discs," said Sony VP Eric Lempel.

PS3 already supports stereoscopic 3D gaming, with games such as MotorStorm 3D RiftWipEout HD and SuperStardust HD available now and upcoming titles such as Killzone 3 and MotorStorm Apocalypse set to take advantage of this immersive new technology. 3D Blu-ray 3D Disc playback, in addition to stereoscopic 3D gaming, and stereoscopic photo support will deliver users with the total 3D package for PS3 owners.

While 3D technology is still in its earliest stage, Sony hopes that studios will be enticed by the prospect, thus releasing more content for the technology.  

So what are your thoughts about 3D technology?  Is it worth marketing at this stage or is it still too early?

Additional details on the update's features will be released in the coming days.  

Comments
by Trusted Expert on ‎09-19-2010 11:51 AM

It is still a little early to say, but I think 3D is here to stay.  I just came back from the theatre from my first (modern) 3D movie (LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS) and it was quite impressive with the 3D.  I think it did enhance the viewing experience.

I think that 3D TVs are here to stay, but I am disappointed in the technologies that have been adopted so far to display 3D.

Over the summer, I see one manufacturer's demo -- JVC's -- whose TVs use the exact same technology as what is used in the movie theatres.  That is Real D.  That fact sold me on their sets immediately because there it uses passive glasses technology and is completely flicker-free.  I decided then to wait until JVC's sets are available to consumers.  Right now they are not.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.