Tech Blog

Canon announces T4i DSLR, Available from Future Shop NOW!

by Blogger on ‎06-08-2012 07:34 AM - last edited on ‎07-20-2012 02:45 PM by Administrator

20120608_hiRes_rebelt4i_front18135lens.jpg

EDIT: The T4i is available in-store and online NOW

Canon’s DSLR line-up grew by one today with the introduction of the new Canon T4i DSLR. It’s physically the twin of the Canon T3i, cloning the popular body’s features like light weight, easy to access controls, and articulating screen. The difference comes in a few important areas.

The T4i has:

• an upgraded 18-megapixel APS-C-sized sensor
  • Canon’s DIG!C 5 processor (not the 5+ in the 1D-X, but it’s still fast!)
  • burst mode of 5 frames per second
  • ISO of up to 25,600
  • On-camera audio leveling
  • improved nine-point all cross-type sensor array, and new Hybrid CMOS autofocus
  • new scene modes and filtersNew
  • touch-capable 3” articulating screen

Canon’s work in touch interfaces has been refined through their line-up; they’ve created a touchscreen that actually feels good to use. Swiping through images and selecting modes and menu options using the touchscreen feels natural and easy.

NEW LENSES

20120608_hiRes_rebelt4i_3q1855lensflash.jpg

Canon’s lens line-up also expanded but in this case there are two new options for you:

• the 18-135mm f/3.5/5.6 STM lens
  • a super-slim 40mm f/2.8 pancake STM lens

20120608_hiRes_ef40lens_3q.jpgSTM stands for STepping Motor and it adds a really cool feature: it can autofocus continually during video recording using phase detection and contrast detection (only on the T4i and newer cameras). Though the autofocus during video recording won’t work with other cameras, the STM lenses will still function as normal lenses.

STM lenses have a few other great features. They focus fast, producing tack-sharp results in an unbelievably short amount of time. They’re also ridiculously smooth and silent, focusing without a sound. This is a revolution for Canon that will hopefully be translated to other lenses over time. 

The 40mm lens is particularly exciting, having a beautifully wide aperture in such a thin profile; as a “pancake-style” lens it’s under an inch thick, dramatically reducing the physical profile of the T4i.

Pre-order now!

Canon Rebel T4i 18MP DSLR Camera With 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit

Canon EOS Rebel T4i 18MP DSLR Camera With 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens Kit

Canon EOS Rebel T4i 18MP DSLR Camera - Body Only

Comments
by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎07-08-2012 06:59 PM

Check your serial numbers, a health warning has been issued for T4i owners....

As a precautionary measure, thoroughly wash your hands with water if they have come in contact with the rubber grips that have turned white. (If any medical symptoms develop, please consult your physician immediately.)

by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎08-08-2012 04:21 PM
© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.