Tech Blog

Canon offers free replacement grip to affected T4i owners.

by Blogger on ‎07-18-2012 12:01 AM - last edited on ‎07-20-2012 02:38 PM by Administrator

RebelT4ijpeg.jpg

If you’ve purchased a Canon T4i recently, chances are you’re enjoying it just as much as I am. Canon’s new top-of-the-line consumer DSLR is a great device, with powerful features and awesome aesthetics. 

There’s also a chance that there may be an issue with some models that you should keep an eye out for.

If your grip appears to be turning white, you’ll want to pay attention. It’s not an optical illusion, there was a production error on some models, dealing specifically with the rubber manufacturer. Canon is reporting that a substance called zinc bis is forming on the grip. This substance will turn the grip itself white, and can produce a powder that may cause an allergic reaction with skin.

The good news is that only a very small group of cameras were affected, during a two week run between May 31st and June 15th 2012. Canon has put up an informative site where you can check your serial number to see if your camera wa... If so, Canon has agreed to fix the issue free of charge.

Heat and humidity accelerates the process, so for those of you in Toronto it should how up almost instantaneously (and they say climate change is a conspiracy… yeah, right!).

Here’s Canon’s warning on the allergy issue:

Caution on Use
The amount of zinc bis (N,N'-dimethyldithiocarbamate) detected during our testing was minimal. While Canon has not received any reports of injury or allergic reactions, depending on one’s health and physical condition, in rare cases when this substance comes into contact with skin, allergic skin reactions* may develop. In addition, if eyes are rubbed after contact with the substance, symptoms, such as red eyes, may develop.

As a precautionary measure, thoroughly wash your hands with water if they have come in contact with the rubber grips that have turned white. (If any medical symptoms develop, please consult your physician immediately.)

*Please note that the occurrence of allergic skin reactions depend on the target substance, length of contact with the target substance, one’s health and physical conditions, and sensitivity of one’s skin structure, and not everyone will be affected by allergic symptoms.