Tech Blog

Classic Jones Trilogy Still Packs a Punch

by Blogger ‎10-19-2012 04:35 PM - edited ‎10-19-2012 04:39 PM

Indiana Jones Trilogy box set.jpg

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls introduced an entire generation to the 20th century’s most heroic archaeologist – Indiana Jones. It also encouraged a great deal of us to revisit the initial trilogy. To many, the first three Jones movies are considered just as important as the original Star Wars films – both of which owe an enormous creative debt to George Lucas. He and Steven Spielberg joined forces to create the trio of features we'll be looking at today. Cue the John Williams score...

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

It’s been a long time since I first watched this epic on VHS. As I gazed into the light of our family’s Sony Trinitron, I learned my first ever lesson about archaeology: if you try to steal a golden idol, beware of the giant boulders which may follow. A twisting tale about a professor turned adventurer, Raiders of the Lost Ark pits our lone hero against the fearsome might of the Nazis. Viewers can look forward to a trans-continental journey full of amazing miniature work, elaborate stunt choreography, and an excellence in action-packed storytelling that’s considered nothing less than iconic today.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom opens with a business deal turning sour. Life in jeopardy, Indiana flees his attackers with the assistance of his sidekick, Short Round. Soon, they’re both bailing out of a crashing plane over the Himalayas, with a hard-to-please diva along for the ride. After encountering the inhabitants of a decimated village, Indiana agrees to rescue their kidnapped children from nearby Pankot Palace. There, he’ll go head-to-head against the demonic and deadly high priest Mola Ram – who has enslaved the children to work in his mines. There’s a mine cart ride that rivals the world's best roller coasters, a legendary gross-out dinner scene, and the most terrifying confrontation ever shot on a rope bridge.  If you enjoy hunting for Eastern Eggs, keep your eyes peeled for cameos by Dan Aykroyd, George Lucas, and even Steven Spielberg.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Thought the snake scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark was tough to watch? Wait until you catch a glimpse of the rat tunnels in the Last Crusade. The film begins with a vignette of a teenaged Indiana Jones, which finally reveals the origins behind our hero’s trademark hat. Harrison Ford reprises his famous role, with Sean Connery along for the ride as Indiana's dad. Their father-son banter provides some much needed humour – exactly the kind of levity that many felt was lacking in Temple of Doom. With a plot that spans the globe as Jones searches for his father, the holy grail, and a safe way out of Nazi-controlled territory – the Last Crusade manages to entertain without addressing the darker themes of its predecessor.

SKU: M2195845

This multi-pack collects Steven Spielberg and George Lucas's Indiana Jones tetralogy, in which Harrison Ford portrays the globe-trotting archaeologist falling neck-deep in ancient mysteries and historical conflicts. Titles include RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM, INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, and INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL. For more detailed descriptions, see individual titles.

Comments
by Trusted Expert on ‎10-19-2012 08:35 PM

Josh, the way you list the movies it appears as if CRYSTAL SKULL is not included in the set, when I am pretty sure it is.

by Blogger ‎10-20-2012 07:31 PM - edited ‎10-20-2012 07:32 PM

That's a big 10-4, Atomic. Crystal Skull is listed in the multi-pack description, to the left of the cart button above us.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.