Tech Blog

Epic Games Cancels Gears of War: Exile

by Blogger on ‎04-09-2012 02:25 PM

Gears-of-War-Exile.jpeg

Since 2010, there have been some rumours going around about an upcoming installment in the Gears of War series, Gears of War: Exile.  After the release of Gears of War 3, the conclusion to the trilogy, you'd never think that Epic Games was set on creating yet another installment in the series, let alone an on-rails Kinect-compatible one.  That is, unless you caught wind of Epic's announcement early last year. Epic actually confirmed this rumour by quietly releasing a registered logo for the game (which you can find above).  However, this project became little more than a vision. Earlier today, Epic's Cliff Bleszinski confirmed that the rumoured title has been officially cancelled. 

"Let's just bury the hatchet now," Bleszinski told Gamespot. "Gears of War: Exile was an unannounced game that I can't give any details about that has since been cancelled." 

Last summer, Bleszinski spoke to Eurogamer about motion control technology and about his interests and aspirations for Kinect.  Here's what he had to say: 

"I've been asked about integration into Gears. If we had put it into Gears 3, considering the development time table, it would have been a tacked-on feature. If we were to get around to doing something Kinect-based, we would want to dedicate something to it and really knock it out the park and make it a Kinect game."

While Exile was scrapped, it would be great to see Epic go for round two and base their next original project on this technology rather than base it around a pre-existing series.  Bleszinski seems pretty passionate about this technology so perhaps in due time that aspiration will come to light. 

What are your thoughts about Exile's cancellation as well as Bleszinski's interest in working on a Kinect-based game?  Leave your comments below!

Source: Gamespot

Source: Eurogamer

Comments
by Trusted Expert on ‎04-10-2012 04:41 AM

I'm quietly hoping we get a Gears of War game set in the Pendulum Wars.  Would love to see some interaction with Carlos Santiago and Helena Stroud. 

JB

by Blogger on ‎04-10-2012 04:50 PM

Ooh I'm totally fine with the Gears series ending, but something like that would be so cool! :smileyhappy: 

by Trusted Expert ‎04-11-2012 06:08 AM - edited ‎04-11-2012 06:10 AM

I like to think that Epic Games and CliffyB are smart enough to realize that people want more from the COG, but that doesn't necessarily need to involve the Locust.

The other option could be a game dealing with E-Day and the time period immediately following (perhaps an open world RPG/shooter using the same cover system where you can choose to be a Gear or civilian) with flashbacks to periods before E-Day (like Aspho Point) and some interaction with key characters.  Maybe I'll send them an email with my ideas - probably get blown off, but you never know.

JB

by Blogger on ‎04-11-2012 07:01 AM

You never know unless you try! I'm sure they're always looking for more ideas for inspiration :smileyhappy: 

And yeah, you're definitely right about people wanting more from the COG.  I mean, look at all the add-ons that are being released.  If there's one thing gamers can't resist it's continuations to their favourite series.  

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.