Tech Blog

First Look: The Canon PowerShot SX260 HS

by Blogger on ‎06-09-2012 02:05 PM - last edited on ‎07-20-2012 02:44 PM by Administrator

PowerShot-SX240-HS.jpg 

Canon’s done a great job with their PowerShot line, creating compelling cameras that appeals to almost every market segment. The PowerShot SX260 HS is your upper-mid-range Point and Shoot camera that’s packed with tons of features. It’s a little bigger than the Digital ELPH line, but it’s still quite pocketable, and I really love the styling cues that they’ve gone with.

10197727.jpgAvailable in Red, Green, and Black from Future Shop, the SX260 HX 12.1 megapixel camera with a CMOS processor; Canon’s was among the first to pioneer CMOS processors with the Digital Rebel, it was only natural that they’d make their way into their point and shoots–and the results have been uniformly positive.

It has a 25mm equivalent wide-angle lens, so you’ll be able to shoot attractive landscape shots and get everyone into family photos. It’s not the widest angle available in a point and shoot though, so if that feature is the most important to you, you should probably keep looking (I’d recommend a Full-Frame DSLR if it’s really important, but that’s more than a bit of a step up, both in size and in damage to your wallet).

It’s image stabilized, which helps for lower light shots, but if you’re looking to use flash you’ll probably get a kick out of the smooth pop-up flash. It pops out really quickly when you need it, with a satisfying whir. I’ll confess, it made the gadget geek in me grin.

10197728.jpgGPS is my favourite “you really don’t need this” feature. I don’t need it, but I love it. Being able to track where I’ve been and when I shot what with the built in map in iPhoto on my Mac makes me really happy. Having a physical connection to each photo helps keep memories fresh and it’s just a fun and interesting feature. My next point and shoot will have to have GPS.

Two dials on the back let you control features and navigation, along with Canon’s traditional array of function buttons. The zoom is a lever wrapped around the shutter button, both of which are quite responsive. 

Overall, I really like the Canon PowerShot SX260HS. The metallic red is just beautiful, and gives the camera a mature look that will fit in at the beach, at a club, or just about anywhere. You won’t feel silly pulling it out at a wedding or a work event either. Canon’s done a remarkable job of packing a lot of technology into this model, but it is a touch on the heavy side compared to some other cameras. You can shoot one-handed with it, but you’ll want to get a good grip on it. This isn’t advice, it’s an order: use the darned wrist strap already.

As a shooter it’s fast and crisp. Video is beautiful, but even though it has dual mics the sound is still point-and-shoot-anemic. Shoot your video and add a soundtrack in your favourite movie editor, you’re not going to be capturing award winning dialogue with this guy.

So that’s our first look at the SX260 HS. You can take a look at it online at futureshop.ca or see it in store now!

SKU: 10197724

Packing a 20X optical zoom lens into a super slim profile in the SX260 is a feat that only Canon could accomplish. Now you can enjoy incredible range with amazing 25mm wide angle shooting in a camera that doesn't require a separate bag to carry. It also offers amazing performance thanks to the DIGIC 5 image processor, as well as Full HD 1080p shooting and much, much more.

SKU: 10197727

Packing a 20X optical zoom lens into a super slim profile in the SX260 is a feat that only Canon could accomplish. Now you can enjoy incredible range with amazing 25mm wide angle shooting in a camera that doesn't require a separate bag to carry. It also offers amazing performance thanks to the DIGIC 5 image processor, as well as Full HD 1080p shooting and much, much more.

SKU: 10197728

Comments
by Blogger on ‎06-09-2012 05:02 PM

I have the 300 HS and absolutely love it, especially for nighttime shots!  

That said, I'm really excited to see more of this model. Love it. 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.