Tech Blog

First day with an iPad: Yeah, it's cool

by Blogger on ‎04-26-2010 05:41 PM - last edited on ‎05-01-2012 03:24 PM by Moderator

As I alluded to in my last post—Until there are color Kindles, Nooks, and eReaders, then iPad will dominate—I got an iPad over the weekend. Actually, my fiancée went to Seattle for some shopping and stopped to get one for me (yes, there are fresh flowers in the house, laundry and dishes are done). Fine, call me an Apple fanboy (that's Mr. Fanboy to you...), but despite a lingering fear that I might not like the iPad, well I do. A lot. I've had my iPad for less than 12 hours now and it is just as cool as people say it is. Thus far I have a goodly number of apps (remember I don't have an iPhone, but a BlackBerry), few free books—thank you Gutenberg Project, a movie (I was impatient and didn't want to wait for all of my movies to load), and some music.

3013iFB5E235FEB8EC576

The question is, what's so great about it?

Let's just take email for a moment. Because the iPad is so much bigger than the iPhone of iPod Touch (or a netbook really), I can touch type pretty well with it. Yes, I've tried both my Bluetooth keyboard and I can't get either to connect up. I can skim and zap out a quick email without little problem.

Movies. Well just wow and I'll leave it at that. You have to see it.

I'm probably going to break down and get Pages for the iPad because although I bought Writeroom, it isn't great for writing (it's an iPhone app in reality so the 2x setting just looks odd). I haven't written a blog post on it, but I do have the WordPress app installed.

In the next little while I'm going to be doing more tests, but in case you're wondering:

• You do have to have (for the time being) an American iTunes account
  • The easiest way to do this is get an American iTunes gift card and set up a new account. No, you don't need an American credit card, but you will need an American address (good thing my Mom lives in the States)
  • I've used about $30 in iTunes cards
  • I only have 2 left
  • I'm going to need a refill soon.
  • I haven't bought any books to read, but some of my remaining $30 will go towards buying some.
  • Yes, the Marvel Comics app is just as cool as you think it would be.

Oh and the screenshot is from my iPad using the really cool app Penultimate—Cocoa Box Design - iPad and iPhone apps— and an pogo sketch.

Comments
by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎04-27-2010 12:36 PM

If I'm not mistake (in which case I invite you to correct me), itunes cards cannot be redeemed for iphone/itouch apps in Canada (yet).  I was going to ask if this is still the case for the ipad but I see you have an american itunes card.

So do you think it would be worth waiting for the 3G version?

by Blogger on ‎04-27-2010 02:59 PM

Chris I don't know about Canadian iTunes cards for apps. I'll have to wait until May to find out. As for the 3G version, I think the biggest question is: do you want to pay for another data plan?

I was just using it on the bus (yeah, got a lot of looks and questions...think I sold a couple people on it)...and it would have been nice to be online, but not essential. Same with waiting for an appointment. It would have been nice, but not essential.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.