Tech Blog

Fujifilm’s Super-fun Summer Camera: the FinePix XP170

by Blogger on ‎06-30-2012 01:52 PM - last edited on ‎07-20-2012 02:42 PM by Administrator

Fujifilm FinePix XP170 Tech Blog.png

The Fujifilm FinePix XP170 is an essential summer piece for anyone looking for adventure; rather than toting a fragile shooter or a smartphone that are just begging to get smashed, drowned, or coated in electronic-killing dust, you can take this little guy with you for carefree snaps and videos. 

The XP170 is a 14MP hardened camera with a 5x internal optical zoom. It shoots 28mm wide angle shots, and it’s packing a 2.7” LCD Screen. It’s optically stabilized, shoots 360 degree panorama shots, and can tag photos for automatic upload to YouTube and Facebook. There’s an integrated HDMI port, and it shoots on SDXC cards, so go ahead and throw a big card in, it can handle it.

But the interesting part of the XP170 is the fact that it’s ready to take some knocks for you while you’re doing silly and fun things. The external frame is made of polycarbonate plastic, metal, and rubber, and it’s built in such a way that protects all the important bits like the lens and the rear screen, from exposure. That gives the camera the strong frame and resistance to shock that it needs. It can take a six foot drop without flinching, but any higher and you’re still going to want to use the included wrist-strap. 

For swimmers, sailors, and anyone waterbound, theXP170 has a unique dual-lock seal that keeps the internals protected. On the side of the camera you’ll see two hard switches marked “1” and “2”. They need to be opened and locked in sequence, which is a great improvement over old single lock designs. The likelihood that you’re going to open and drown your camera is far less than ever before, something I think we can all agree is a great thing.

So let’s say you’ve just taken an amazing shot and you want to share it right away. You don’t need to rush home, and you don’t need to whip out cables; the XP170 has a wireless transmission feature that lets you pair it up with your iPhone or Android smartphone. You can connect it up with the push of a button (it’s right on top of the camera for easy access) and share photos easily. 

I really like the XP170, and I found that over the last few weeks I was less paranoid than usual that I was going to break a loaner camera; this guy is tough! The one thing I would like to see is something like a rubber lens cap that could be attached to the wrist strap. I don’t like that the lens is always exposed. Despite the fact the plastic is scratch resistant, I still like to be safe rather than sorry.

Final word: if you’re doing fun stuff this summer and you’re not interested in replacing your camera or smartphone several times due to “WHOOPS!” the Fujifilm XP170 is your best choice.

SKU: 10207281

The Fuji Finepix XP170 is tough and versatile, making it the ideal camera to take on vacation. It's waterproof to 10m, shockproof to 2m, freezeproof to -10°C, dustproof, and sandproof. You can also use the Wireless Image Transfer feature to send photos to any smartphone or tablet without having to connect any cords or plug it into a computer.

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.