Tech Blog

Futuristic Appliance: Growing an Herb Garden in Your Apartment

by Blogger on ‎11-07-2012 11:38 AM - last edited on ‎11-08-2012 10:43 AM by Administrator

home-scaled hydroponic agriculture

There are certain perks about living in a home with a garden. You have space to plant your own herbs and vegetables. My garden has kale, mint, parsley, tomatoes, and I take for granted that I can enjoy fresh salads especially during the summer months. 

If you are living in an apartment, that garden dream may not be as feasible. It may work if you have a balcony, but you are limited with space.  However, there are ways to grow potted herbs for inside your apartment, that can also make for great home decor. Want a better solution?

Kitchen-Nano-Garden-3.jpegEnter Futuristic Appliance: Home-scaled hydroponic agriculture.  The car manufacturer, Hyundai, and Korean design firm, Gromo, teamed up to create the Kitchen Nano Garden. This technology won a bronze medal for the Fast Company design awards in 2010. (Source: Loves Food and Art

The Nano Garden lets you grow fresh organic herbs and vegetables, and even flowers. It’s about the size of a full-sized refrigerator and would be placed in your kitchen.  The Kitchen Nano Garden isn't on the market just yet. Let’s assume that your apartment’s kitchen is quite spacious. Would this be an appliance of choice?

Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 10.14.43 AM.pngOn the topic of fresh herbs, here’s a great cooking tip from Kitchn.comfreeze fresh herbs with olive oil. It’s a brilliant yet easy tip. Plus, you are preserving your fresh herbs for the winter months, and let’s just say they came from your garden. All you need is 10 minutes and the following steps:

1)   Get an ice cube tray (or two).

2)   Get a handful of fresh herbs

3)   Cut the herbs up into smaller pieces so they can fit into each cube of the ice tray.

4)   Once the herbs are placed, pour the olive oil to fill each cube.

5)   Then place in freezer

Herbs in Oil

This cube of frozen olive oil infused with herbs is perfect to throw into soups or stews. Plus, you can use it with pretty much any recipes that ask for olive oil to start.

Enjoy your herbs.

Check out Future Shop's selection of Garden & Backyard products.

Comments
by x0pa on ‎11-07-2012 07:52 PM

omg THATS AWESOME!!!!!! i want i want :smileywink:

thanks for the sweet tip about freezing your herbs :smileywink:

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.