Tech Blog

Get your motors running: Traxxas RC vehicles coming to a Future Shop near you

by Blogger on ‎08-08-2012 12:36 PM - last edited on ‎08-24-2012 10:38 AM by Administrator

TraxxasWater.jpg

Mention the name Traxxas among radio controlled (RC) toys enthusiasts and the one-word reaction will be the same: “pro.” What was once known as only being available at specialty stores in a small number of cities, challenging to find for some, is no longer a factor: Traxxas RC vehicles are spreading across Canada, thanks to availability at all Future Shop stores and Futureshop.ca. Selection may vary at each store.

I recall the days of my boyhood living within walking distance to a local hobby store, wiping drool off my face as I watched the shop owner and teenagers’ race around their RC cars and bang them up in the parking lot or store aisles. I thought, one day I would have one, and when that day came in Christmas of ‘89, I screamed in delight at my very first RC car. A different kind of scream came about after racing it a short while and banging it against the stairs and breaking it a part, forcing the car into an early retirement.

Luckily for me, Traxxas isn’t your typical fragile RC car. They’re high-quality vehicles are built to last, upgradeable, repairable, and even raced in organized, sponsored competitions.

I had a chance to zip around with three exciting models of Traxxas vehicles recently with my buddy Shawn Felix from ConnectPro. Shawn happens to race pro-grade cars professionally and took the time to explain why Traxxas is such a fun experience and showed me what can be done with them. Watch on:

So what’s Traxxas exactly?

Traxxas 4x4 “short-course” truck

Go big: Traxxas’ E-Revo Monster truck

Upgradeable thanks to the ConnectPro services team

Traxxas is scheduled to hit Future Shop and Futureshop.ca later this month. You can see some of the collection available for pre-order here. Follow Future Shop’s @FS_GetitFirst Twitter account to discover when they go live for sale. And, stayed tuned here for more details and vehicle reviews. 

Comments
by Retired Blogger on ‎08-08-2012 04:49 PM

as a former hobby shop employee, I can't tell you how cool that Future Shop is getting into this market, since having hobby quality 'proper' R/C cars in a large retailer can only be good for the hobby industry.

Let's hope Future Shop will back up their selection of RTR vehicles with the spare parts and upgrades that truly differentiate hobby R/C cars from toys.

by Blogger on ‎08-08-2012 07:57 PM

Awesome videos, this is exciting news!

by Blogger on ‎08-09-2012 09:52 AM

Thanks guys! 

@Alex: That's the plan - spare parts and upgrades that can be fully serviced by the ConnectPro teams at Future Shop stores.

by MiniMonstersRC on ‎08-10-2012 02:05 AM

Why would anyone want somone else working on / fixing your truck? Thats all part of the hobby and half the fun. I'm sure repair costs will be very expensive too. I love Traxxas products, I own 4 (Rustler VXL, Slash 4x4, Grave Digger VXL & E Revo Brushless) and I wont let anyone touch them. 

I really hope if this is the route Future Shop is going, that they will do it right. By that, I mean having properly trained & knowledgeable staff. Once they hit stores I will be there to "test" the staff lol. 

by DcShoesCo on ‎08-10-2012 12:18 PM

We will be able to only purchase spare parts and install it ourself??

Price will be competitive for parts?

I own 2 traxxas and buying parts a lot.

Also will you have parts from other brand that fits on traxxas like RPM and other?

Thanks

by Blogger ‎08-13-2012 06:44 AM - edited ‎08-13-2012 06:53 AM

@DcShoesCo: Thanks for your questions - all excellent ones. Here are answers for you:

• Parts will be available for purchase, pricing will be very competitive Future Shop just launched a new Price Beat guarantee that includes beating online etailers.
  • If you are savvy, you absolutely can install the parts yourself, or ConnectPro (Future Shop pro services team) can do it for you.
  • More brands will be coming online over the course of next year.

Hope this helps!

by MiniMonstersRC ‎08-13-2012 05:44 PM - edited ‎08-13-2012 05:45 PM

@ Elliott: 

"....Price Beat guarantee that includes beating online etailers." - That is a shock, I wasnt expecting that. This has my attention now. 

"...More brands will be coming online over the course of next year.." - So this means possibly HPI Racing, Team Losi ect... I can see Future Shop is taking this pretty serious. 

I feel bad for the smaller local / independent hobby shops now as I feel they won't be able to compete with the bulk pricing that Future Shop will have. 

by dctrailerevo on ‎09-20-2012 11:50 AM

To any 1 looking to buy these rcs... I have purchased summit 1/10 not 1 problem with the summit and the mini revo brushless ive never  had to replace a part in the 1st 2 yrs that ive had these rcs very durable and every part is replaceable i find running 2 battery packs with mini revo is crazyness but great in other words. to parents dont buy the junk remote control cars and trucks from others like walmart or toys are us, those brake easily and cant replace parts. these vehicles start from a brushed electric motor to brushless for more power and also WATER PROOF very important to have for kids trust me they like the mud....very easy to clean and maintaine these guys stand up to there name Traxxas they have tech support online and forums to back u up

by aporteou on ‎04-11-2013 06:09 PM

i have the E-MAX i changed control arms drive shafts dif carriers .....but don't let this scare you away from traxxas ...I beat the crap out of that poor truck lol P.S they don't like curbs at full speed they are well built 

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.