Tech Blog

Halo 4 to Feature Score from Massive Attack Producer Neil Davidge

by Retired Blogger on ‎04-16-2012 03:56 PM

2012_04_16_halo4.jpg

A strange sort of announcement, I suppose, but if you're hungry for Halo 4 details, as is highly likely, this choice morsel is certainly interesting. Yes, Microsoft and 343 Industries has announced that the team has enlisted Neil Davidge of Massive Attack fame to compose the score for Halo 4.

Davidage was o-writer and producer on Massive Attack's last three albums, and yes, that includes Mezzanine. But wait, actually, I'm going to link a song from Heligoland instead, because it's one of my favourites.

Lovely vocals from Horace Andy, there.

Anyway, er, yes, he's done some score stuff before, such as on the score for the movie Push, apparently, and some additional music on Clash of the Titans. And he says he's a passionate Halo fan. Look, he says it right here:

"As a passionate Halo fan, I’m incredibly honoured and thrilled to have the opportunity to compose the score for Halo 4," said Davidge, backing up what I said about him being a Halo fan above. "Music has always been at the heart of what makes Halo so captivating and iconic. With Halo 4, we want to build upon the franchise’s amazing legacy and create a score that captures the awe and wonder of the Halo universe, and reinforces the deeper and more emotionally impactful journey Master Chief will embark on."

OK then! Working in collaboration with 343 Industries, Davidge and his production team enlisted a 16 person hand-picked male tenor / bass choir plus 10 female Bulgarian vocalists, a full 50 piece orchestra and a whole host of other performers, apparently.

"Neil has a deep love and appreciation for the ‘Halo’ universe, and the music he’s composed perfectly captures the heroic spirit and emotional power of Master Chief’s story," said Sotaro Tojima, audio director for Halo 4. "Neil is a remarkably talented composer who has a unique vision for the future of Halo music, and I’m confident his work will spark the passion and excitement of a whole new generation of fans."

If you'd like to read more about this, you can see Tojima wax lyrical over in the Halo Bulletin over at the Halo Waypoint blog.

SKU: 10172160

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.