Tech Blog

Hands-on with the Canon T4i

by Blogger on ‎06-24-2012 11:27 AM - last edited on ‎07-20-2012 02:43 PM by Administrator

Canon_t4i_hands_on_tech_blog.jpg

Canon’s latest consumer DSLR arrived yesterday and I’ve spent the morning getting a feel for it. The Rebel T4i comes in a delightfully garish package; it’s amazing that Canon can produce such fabulous product, but no one on the production line has said “hey, it’s 2012, can we please do something about this late 90s packaging design?” Seriously, it’s ugly.

Inside things are packed fairly well; the camera is tucked inside a cloth bag wrapped in bubble wrap. So too for the stabilized kit lens. The charger is a black rectangle with a removable powercord. I like the flexibility of being able to plug it in in more places (car dashboard inverters are notoriously hard to use with integrated-plug bricks), but it’s more sloppy. 

Charging up took a few hours, but when the battery was ready I fired the T4i up. The articulating touchscreen feels snappy and solid; I like that it’s protected when not in use, and it snaps quickly in place. The resolution of the screen means the interface is extremely crisp and easy to read.

One of the things that I like the most is how Canon has refined the user interface to add subtle visual cues to features like aperture and shutter adjustment. This is helpful for remembering which controls make adjustments when you’re in manual modes; you should be able to remember that holding the exposure adjustment button switches from shutter to aperture selection, but if you don’t Canon has you covered.

t4i screen.png

The interface is remarkably comprehensive; it’s clean and easy to navigate. You can zip through with the directional buttons, or you can use the touch screen to get around. Visual representations of scales makes it easier to understand setting shutter speed and aperture. 

A dedicated button for video lets you shoot at any time, but an actual movie mode changes the interface to be more video oriented. If you’re looking to shoot video with a DSLR, the T4i is one of the most informative and easy to use. There’s a microphone in on the left side, along with a digital A/V and HDMI out. The HDMI output doesn’t output fullscreen 1080p as per earlier reports, instead putting out a smaller frame with a red dot overlay. This kind of thing needs to stop... and it wouldn’t be remiss to find an audio out for headphones on the camera body. That’s unlikely to happen though, but one can hope. 

The basic frame of the Rebel hasn’t changed much over the years for good reason; it’s a serviceable DSLR body. It’s a full grip, good for those with average and larger hands; folks with smaller paws might be better off with Sony’s entry level models, or a Micro 4/3 camera.

More on the T4i as we spend more time with it! Got questions? Ask them in the comments below!

SKU: 10195080

Rebel against the ordinary with the feature-packed Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR. This is the first Rebel to incorporate a vari-angle 3" touchscreen LCD, which makes it easy to snap that perfect shot at just about any angle. Other top-grade features include an 18MP CMOS sensor, DiG!C 5 processor, Full HD EOS videos, creative filters, and much more.

SKU: 10195079

Rebel against the ordinary with the feature-packed Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR. This is the first Rebel to incorporate a vari-angle 3" touchscreen LCD, which makes it easy to snap that perfect shot at just about any angle. Other top-grade features include an 18MP CMOS sensor, DiG!C 5 processor, Full HD EOS videos, creative filters, and much more.

SKU: 10195078

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.