Tech Blog

Here we go: off to CES 2010!

by Blogger on ‎01-05-2010 08:16 PM - last edited on ‎12-30-2010 02:12 PM by Administrator

Big thanks to Laura for the kind words introducing me to the Future Shop's Tech Blog. A little bit about me: I'm Future Shop's Communications Manager, a huge fan of electronics and sports, and I tend to gravitate towards the cameras be it at work or outside of it.

CES_Logo.jpg 

I'm thrilled to attend CES 2010 and cover the action from a Canadian's perspective. Over the next several days, check back often for updates featuring on-the-ground blog entries and Tweets about my experiences with vendors, executives, attendees and hopefully a celebrity or two. (Check out the awesome list of notables attending by clicking here.  James Worthy, Prince Fielder, Jon Heder - dynamite! - are expected to drop by.)

What will I be looking for at CES? Everything! I want to soak-in as much of the new cutting-edge technology as possible. Well, ok, let me be more specific. If I could narrow down my top three electronic categories I want to scope out at CES, they are:

• 3D HDTVs - It's touted as the future of HDTV viewing with big-name companies like Sony announcing their plans and developments. We're seeing more movement to 3D with hot movies releasing like James Cameron's Avatar.
  • Tablets - Apple's all the buzz about their release of their multimedia tablet (likely after CES), and there will likely be a number of computer vendors showcasing theirs.
  • Car connectivity - The CEO of Ford, Alan Mullaly, is this year's opening keynote and will tout his company's latest Sync system. That said, technology in autos are bound to be a popular topic. With legislation in Canada like hands-free while driving becoming national in scope, I'm interested in checking out what enhancements to driving vehicles will be made.

As Laura mentioned in her blog post, leave your CES questions here, or Tweet them using the following: #CESElliott. I'll try my best to find you answers!

Tomorrow morning, I'm departing from Vancouver International Airport (YVR) to Las Vegas, home to CES. Airport security should be interesting given what happened on December 25 in the United States. Since that incident I've already traveled once to the U.S. and it took 90 minutes to walk/stand through security at YVR. Here's hoping security will be a lot quicker tomorrow.

Follow me on Twitter at @ElliottChun and @FS_Connect. See a summary of Future Shop's CES 2010 activities by clicking here. And of course, stay connected with me on the Tech Blog.

Message Edited by Elliott on 01-05-2010 08:19 PM
Message Edited by Elliott on 01-05-2010 08:27 PM

Comments
by Soo Kyung(anon) on ‎01-06-2010 04:11 AM

Sounds like an exciting way to kick of 2010 - looking forward to learning about the latest in tech!  Have a safe flight!

by Blogger on ‎01-06-2010 09:45 AM
Thanks, Soo! :smileyhappy:
by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎01-06-2010 08:01 PM

Got a question if you get near a Sony rep.... we are hearing about 3D HDTV.... when can we expect Sony 3D camcorders?

Also see if you can get your hands on a Sony 3D Alpha DSLR.  How does the file format work out?  Is it still JPG files?  Or is everything on RAW?

If you see Adobe booths, ask them about their 3D computation photography that was announced last season.  What plans are there for 2010, if any?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9793272-1.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

by Blogger on ‎01-06-2010 09:26 PM
@XL - Excellent questions - I've jotted them down. I'm actually meeting with Sony this weekend and will be sure to include that in the cue of qs. I too am anxious to know what 3D technologies will be available to us, the consumer, soon. Thanks for sending these along with the Adobe URL!
by Blogger on ‎01-12-2010 07:18 PM

@XL - Hey there, I caught-up with a Sony digital imaging representative about 3D and camcorders - very loose response but he was confident that it's coming. Check out his response here, along with a review of the Sony DSLR-a550 model:

by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎01-12-2010 11:11 PM

Thanks for throwing out the question.  I can understand his guarded response to until we can see more concrete products.

I did find this adapter for Nikon cameras.  http://www.loreo.com/pages/products/loreo_3dcap.html.  But then I thought after taking pictures with it..... How would I view the pictures on my old 2D screen.

Looking at CES2010, the 3D focus is on the viewing technology, rather than the capturing technology.  I noticed there's a Panasonic camera coming at a very steep entry price (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJRwIj2X3Rk ), so I can see Sony holding off.  Then again, when Sony came out with the HDV FX1, it was big and expensive as well.  How long will it be before Sony challenges Panasonic.
by Blogger on ‎01-13-2010 05:35 PM

@XL: Anytime! Time will tell what we see next from Sony. Thanks for sharing your expertise in the digital imaging space!

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.