Tech Blog

How To Get Siri On An iPhone 4

by Blogger on ‎03-17-2012 06:14 PM - last edited on ‎03-21-2012 03:07 PM by Administrator

apple-siri.jpgI'm old school, I still have an iPhone 4

I'm one of those "every other model" guys when it comes to upgrading my iPhone.  I'm holding out for iPhone 5 or iPhone HD or iPhone Clear or whatever the next generation will be.

When iPhone 4S was launched, Siri was hailed as the killer app for the phone.  Voice was going to be a game changer, and while I agree that voice is the new keyboard, I'm not sold on Siri just yet.  It might take a few years for us to get the handle of pressing a button and asking for "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." instead of just making it ourselves.

Still, if you're a little jealous of your friends with iPhone 4S who can talk to Siri and ask a number of things, why not get Evi [99c] for your old iPhone 4 and be just as cool.  While Evi can't integrate into your address book and calendar, it can be used to make simple information requests you're too lazy to look up.

When it comes to dictation of texts, emails, and ideas there are a couple of options for that as well.   Dragon Dictation [free] and Voice To Apps [99c] work as ways to dictate ideas to your device, have them transcribed to text and then forwarded via email or to your social networks.

You'll notice Apple didn't toss Siri in to the updated iPad which hits shelves today.  Thoughts are the server power needed to do that kind of querying would be too buckling.  Instead, the new iPad has voice activation where you can speak anything that would normally be typed.

Make no mistake, voice is the new typing and you don't have to have an iPhone 4S to do it.

Comments
by Exalted Expert / Community Ambassador on ‎03-17-2012 08:11 PM

One complaint to watch out for is Siri and how quickly it eats up your data plan.  Consumption can be as high as TRIPLE.

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,247378/printable.html

© 2011 Future Shop. All rights reserved. For personal, noncommercial use.